Bullnose Forums

84 F150 Duraspark II conversion troubleshooting

No problem, Mike. As Jim said, it happens all the time. And some of our best members have missed the message.

As for the pickup in the dizzy, they can easily cause all kinds of wonky behavior. One such is to shift the timing enough that the engine will barely run and won't pull anything.

Jim - Thanks. She's home now and resting. The gel was pulling the macula away from the retina so they removed the gel and put a bubble in that pushes the macula back in place to let it heal. But she has to look down for around 3 weeks and won't be able to see much through that eye during that time as she's looking through the bubble.

Damn!

I know a thing or two about detached retinas.

This is going to put the kibosh on her quilting hobby for a bit. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

But I trust she is good about following Dr's orders and will be back better than ever in a month or so.

Take good care of her (I know you will!)

My best to her! 🙏

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn!

I know a thing or two about detached retinas.

This is going to put the kibosh on her quilting hobby for a bit. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

But I trust she is good about following Dr's orders and will be back better than ever in a month or so.

Take good care of her (I know you will!)

My best to her! 🙏

Thanks, Jim. Yes, it is sure hard on her quilting as she can't even read right now. She has a shield on the right eye that prevents her from even using her glasses. So now she has to use a magnifying glass to read anything.

But I am doing my best to take good care of her. She's the best thing that ever happened to me, so I'm doing my best.

Thanks, Jim. Yes, it is sure hard on her quilting as she can't even read right now. She has a shield on the right eye that prevents her from even using her glasses. So now she has to use a magnifying glass to read anything.

But I am doing my best to take good care of her. She's the best thing that ever happened to me, so I'm doing my best.

Prayers for Janey's recovery.

Gary,

My apologies. I just made a brief introductory post. I did read the guidelines.

I had given that pickup module some thought. I guess I assumed that if it were bad it would not work at all. Is that pickup something that can be replaced or would that mean a new distributor?

do as best as you can to check for side play in the distributor shaft and also look for any signs of "dusting". it can show up as gray or red sometimes the reluctor wheel rubs on the pickup and cause running the way you describe. it may be difficult to detect installed as being engaged to the camshaft tends to take up slack.

Sounds like a big vacuum leak. I had this problem randomly on a standard transmission bullnose. Drove it that way for a week and then realized my PCV vacuum hook-up on the carburetor was disconnected !!

By the way how are your vacuum numbers looking at idle? I have seen that you need about 18in Hg to be stable (with the PCV system in place). Else you will have stumbling at launch.

. After that it started this business of stalling out under load. It will idle fine but when I try to move it forward or reverse even on flat ground I get all this bucking, fighting and stalling. Almost like a vacuum leak or flooding issue. I've spent a lot of time with this thing and I can't seem to figure it out. As a last ditch effort before I scrap it I figured I'd reach out to the folks here.

I've been thinking about this.... :nabble_anim_confused:

You said it came on suddenly, but it REALLY sounds like a sloppy or skipped timing chain...

. After that it started this business of stalling out under load. It will idle fine but when I try to move it forward or reverse even on flat ground I get all this bucking, fighting and stalling. Almost like a vacuum leak or flooding issue. I've spent a lot of time with this thing and I can't seem to figure it out. As a last ditch effort before I scrap it I figured I'd reach out to the folks here.

I've been thinking about this.... :nabble_anim_confused:

You said it came on suddenly, but it REALLY sounds like a sloppy or skipped timing chain...

So the fiber gear can't wear or lose a tooth?

**The ones I've seen were phenolic.

Like Garolite or thick Micarta.

Whatever... It "sounds like" the valve timing is off. 😕

no, I was reminding of the lack of a chain. certainly, the fiber gear can lose a tooth but in the case like mine it lost twelve. It did not skip. the dist just stopped along with the cam.