Bullnose Forums

Conflicting Battery Test results

MY battery works just fine, TYVM.

Besides that 4DLT won't begin to fit my battery tray, while the tray is meant for a group 65 that has the same CCA

Larry is the one with a problem.

I suspect it's because of chronic undercharging and lack of use.

MY battery works just fine, TYVM.

Besides that 4DLT won't begin to fit my battery tray, while the tray is meant for a group 65 that has the same CCA

Larry is the one with a problem.

I suspect it's because of chronic undercharging and lack of use.

I thought about trying to mount one under the truck and run the cables over the fender.

FWIW, what kind of alternator do you have?

I'm pretty sure you have mentioned the condition of your cables and IIRC the battery terminals.

If a cold battery will not crank it's time for a new one.

I'm REALLY surprised a group 65 doesn't have enough 'berries' to crank your PMGR.

Mine is 1000A/850 CCA

Gary has the results of my PMGR "test" here on the site. somewhere.

It is not that much draw.

Stock 60A 1G (alternator and regulator are stock replacements). Working great, passed charging tests with flying colors. 14.5V @ idle in fact...

Battery is rated at 650CCA, 810A @ 32F.

It's back to daily driver status unless they start salting the roads again. It had been taken off due to salt and radiator issues, but the latter was fixed recently (and likewise, my Ranger is off daily use due to making suspension noise again :nabble_smiley_argh:)

Stock 60A 1G (alternator and regulator are stock replacements). Working great, passed charging tests with flying colors. 14.5V @ idle in fact...

Battery is rated at 650CCA, 810A @ 32F.

It's back to daily driver status unless they start salting the roads again. It had been taken off due to salt and radiator issues, but the latter was fixed recently (and likewise, my Ranger is off daily use due to making suspension noise again :nabble_smiley_argh:)

Sorry to hear that the Ranger is acting up. 😟

They're great little trucks, but few and far between up here due to the salt.

That battery sounds plenty big enough.

Are you sure it's not the starter that's getting weird?

Sorry to hear that the Ranger is acting up. 😟

They're great little trucks, but few and far between up here due to the salt.

That battery sounds plenty big enough.

Are you sure it's not the starter that's getting weird?

Starter was replaced last year. Duralast reman.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/What-s-the-current-recommendation-on-PMGR-starters-td130935.html

The ranger has quirks. Rough idle, especially when cooled down for 20 mins after being at operating temp (OBDII says it's a lean condition, which I've narrowed down to lower intake gaskets, sadly not the loose bolt issue Ford issued a TSB on). And is rustier than sin (was a Chicago truck; rare long bed with fully optioned interior combo). I'd love to body swap it with another (ideally a 1997 with a 4.0 so I'd get a 5R55E instead of my current 1995 4R55E), but suitable trucks are rare and out of budget. The existing body and frame honestly isn't worth fixing (due to the known history and long list of bad areas). I haven't dug into what the popping in the suspension is... I suspect tie rod ends as everything else up front has been replaced in the last 7 years. But it's the longest I've ever owned a vehicle (Just over 7 years, January 2017).

Starter was replaced last year. Duralast reman.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/What-s-the-current-recommendation-on-PMGR-starters-td130935.html

The ranger has quirks. Rough idle, especially when cooled down for 20 mins after being at operating temp (OBDII says it's a lean condition, which I've narrowed down to lower intake gaskets, sadly not the loose bolt issue Ford issued a TSB on). And is rustier than sin (was a Chicago truck; rare long bed with fully optioned interior combo). I'd love to body swap it with another (ideally a 1997 with a 4.0 so I'd get a 5R55E instead of my current 1995 4R55E), but suitable trucks are rare and out of budget. The existing body and frame honestly isn't worth fixing (due to the known history and long list of bad areas). I haven't dug into what the popping in the suspension is... I suspect tie rod ends as everything else up front has been replaced in the last 7 years. But it's the longest I've ever owned a vehicle (Just over 7 years, January 2017).

I remember

But I can't say I have high opinions of most big batch remans, even Motorcraft.

There is a saying that I can't repeat here.

Maybe try one from DB?