Bullnose Forums

81 F150 Tach Install

Raywilson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.25 ratio- hwy gearing. That explains my poor intown mileage

3.25 with an od? I'm guessing it's an aod (metric) with the early kick down rod for tv control. I don't know much about another option. the majority of the aod's were paired with the 3.55 gear in 8.8 or 3.50 in 9". I'm running 3.73 in my flare side and it's my best mpg truck. l am very interested in other combinations as I am always trying something new. I am building one with a 5.0 carb and an aod with a 3.31 currently. this is fairly close in final drive ratio to yours.

3.25 with an od? I'm guessing it's an aod (metric) with the early kick down rod for tv control. I don't know much about another option. the majority of the aod's were paired with the 3.55 gear in 8.8 or 3.50 in 9". I'm running 3.73 in my flare side and it's my best mpg truck. l am very interested in other combinations as I am always trying something new. I am building one with a 5.0 carb and an aod with a 3.31 currently. this is fairly close in final drive ratio to yours.

Yes, AOD. On Gary's rear axle chart, my VIN shows I have a 15 axle ratio or a 3.25 ratio. Not great milage about town.

Yes, AOD. On Gary's rear axle chart, my VIN shows I have a 15 axle ratio or a 3.25 ratio. Not great milage about town.

oddly enough its possibly not good on the highway either as you likely are turning too slow for efficiency and in 1981 I don't think the 302 had more than 145 hp. and hp is not achieved at low speeds. it is counterintuitive yet when the engine is allowed to spin a little faster and easier yet a bit lean, the mpg can go up. with an aod ,the od is the deepest in these trucks at .67 meaning your final drive is 2.18. 2.5 seems to be the sweet spot from my experience. it would take a 3.73 to achieve this in your truck. if you were looking to have a bit more feel of power you could go with 4.10 but that will possibly go past peak mpg and start drinking again. but tow a trailer it will do!

in 1981 the national speed limit off 55 was still in effect and ford was engineering. these to be practically coasting I believe. now with everything including econo box cars going 80 on the interstate you are going to need to stay on the throttle a little bit and keep power being made, but I'm rarely on the throttle as much as 1/8". some trucks I just "feel" the pedal.

Ray - I don't measure it around town, but I'm sure it would be far worse than 11.

Jim - I'm a grandpa and drive like one. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Pics of my new and old dash replacements. My old one has a white cable going to the steering column. New one does not and doesn't have way to connect. What should I do?

IMG_20240207_163704.jpg.e82bc4aed2f29722ccd8baa14b34d4b0.jpg

IMG_20240207_163747.jpg.3f23936a719f0d6b410585c444f9ab90.jpg

Pics of my new and old dash replacements. My old one has a white cable going to the steering column. New one does not and doesn't have way to connect. What should I do?

Thank you for the information, that's really helpful. I'll look for a 373 ratio you recommended. I see the 373 is a 1986 part. Is it physically interchangeable w my 81?

Ray

The part the white cable goes to is held on with a couple of screws. So you can move it to the new instrument panel.

The part the white cable goes to is held on with a couple of screws. So you can move it to the new instrument panel.

Yep, this part can be transferred from a cluster to another.

Be careful. I don’t have a three on tree, but I heard this cable could be somehow fragile.

Am I right, guys?

:nabble_anim_confused:

Yep, this part can be transferred from a cluster to another.

Be careful. I don’t have a three on tree, but I heard this cable could be somehow fragile.

Am I right, guys?

:nabble_anim_confused:

That cable is for an automatic transmission's gear display. And yes, it is very fragile.