Bullnose Forums

81 F150 Tach Install

Raywilson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did add a tach in Big Brother.

Be aware that the 1980 instrument cluster wiring is different from the 1981-86.

Thanks to Gary, I learned that the biggest difference between 1980 and 1981-86 is in connector wiring.

So, if you’re going to change the entire cluster, be careful to chose a 1981-86 model for your 1981 truck.

But maybe you’ll be lucky as I was: Big Brother’s cluster already had the full printed circuit, ready for a tach.

If your present cluster has the non-tach printed circuit, you’ll need a complete replacement tach cluster OR to buy a new printed circuit.

Bronco Graveyard is selling new replacement cluster printed circuits.

Here are examples of non-tach and full printed circuits:

IMG_9424.jpeg.2f8c60c405df4936399989bd47926f8d.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg.116a11e13aa0d598d682c3a6d90ae39b.jpeg

I did add a tach in Big Brother.

Be aware that the 1980 instrument cluster wiring is different from the 1981-86.

Thanks to Gary, I learned that the biggest difference between 1980 and 1981-86 is in connector wiring.

So, if you’re going to change the entire cluster, be careful to chose a 1981-86 model for your 1981 truck.

But maybe you’ll be lucky as I was: Big Brother’s cluster already had the full printed circuit, ready for a tach.

If your present cluster has the non-tach printed circuit, you’ll need a complete replacement tach cluster OR to buy a new printed circuit.

Bronco Graveyard is selling new replacement cluster printed circuits.

Here are examples of non-tach and full printed circuits:

But both your flex are red, Jeff, and 81-86 are going to be green.

So Ray needs a cluster that is green with the trip button sticking through the bezel.

At least that's the easiest way for me to glance at them and get the right one.

But both your flex are red, Jeff, and 81-86 are going to be green.

So Ray needs a cluster that is green with the trip button sticking through the bezel.

At least that's the easiest way for me to glance at them and get the right one.

Right, right, and right. But if a 1980 is all you can find go ahead and buy it. The difference is where the left turn indicator and seatbelt warning light connections are, and those are easy to change. Here's a writeup on that.

Right, right, and right. But if a 1980 is all you can find go ahead and buy it. The difference is where the left turn indicator and seatbelt warning light connections are, and those are easy to change. Here's a writeup on that.

Guys, Shame on me. It is obvious that my memory is unreliable.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

I am talking nonsense. I should check before asserting facts that turn out to be false.

:nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

SO, long story short, here is the truth (verified :nabble_smiley_wink:):

1 — Big Bro came without a tach, and its original cluster was with the non -tach printed circuit.

I am confused and I apologize to have said that it came with the "tach" printed circuit.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

2 — In the past, (long time ago) I bought at my local salvage yard an identical cluster, to grab some gauges that were in better shape.

3 — 5-6 years ago, I bought (really cheap) at my local salvage another cluster, this one equipped with a tach and a km/h speedometer+tripometer, that I kept in stock.

Last year, I decided to install it in Big Bro, but had no chance:

• The tripo was defect and from time to time jammed, stripping the speedo cable plastic gears.

• The tach was burned out. I tried to fix it, with no luck.

4 — So, I finally bought on eBay a complete cluster, with tach (and mph tripo, which is not useful here...).

I cleaned out the tach, painted its needle, and equipped this tach cluster with a non-tripo lens and with:

• NOS gauges

• NOS km/h speedo (no tripo)

• LED lights.

BUT, about the printed circuit color that Jim pointed out, I am missing something.

The four clusters I have (including the one installed in Big Bro, the last below) are red.

:nabble_anim_confused:

No_Tach.jpg.56c8e90e91cac81e53d3c478f4ade7d2.jpg

With_tach_copie.jpg.306c1ba8b394cd506316733e732db36d.jpg

No-Tach part number is E1TF-10C956-A:

IMG_9452.jpg.c0e187ae5a0bfef6403aafb11e626317.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg.1f510316108da791ef96e6e51a18102c.jpg

W/Tach part number is E1TF-10C956-B:

IMG_9451.jpg.29103cf4bb450897d762c3345350aa88.jpg

Tach-2.jpg.11926b06a16d26b007348b32a5976e98.jpg

Guys, Shame on me. It is obvious that my memory is unreliable.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

I am talking nonsense. I should check before asserting facts that turn out to be false.

:nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

SO, long story short, here is the truth (verified :nabble_smiley_wink:):

1 — Big Bro came without a tach, and its original cluster was with the non -tach printed circuit.

I am confused and I apologize to have said that it came with the "tach" printed circuit.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

2 — In the past, (long time ago) I bought at my local salvage yard an identical cluster, to grab some gauges that were in better shape.

3 — 5-6 years ago, I bought (really cheap) at my local salvage another cluster, this one equipped with a tach and a km/h speedometer+tripometer, that I kept in stock.

Last year, I decided to install it in Big Bro, but had no chance:

• The tripo was defect and from time to time jammed, stripping the speedo cable plastic gears.

• The tach was burned out. I tried to fix it, with no luck.

4 — So, I finally bought on eBay a complete cluster, with tach (and mph tripo, which is not useful here...).

I cleaned out the tach, painted its needle, and equipped this tach cluster with a non-tripo lens and with:

• NOS gauges

• NOS km/h speedo (no tripo)

• LED lights.

BUT, about the printed circuit color that Jim pointed out, I am missing something.

The four clusters I have (including the one installed in Big Bro, the last below) are red.

:nabble_anim_confused:

No-Tach part number is E1TF-10C956-A:

W/Tach part number is E1TF-10C956-B:

Maybe I am wrong?

It wouldn't be the first time, and it's probably not going to be the last.

I've never seen a red flex except on a very early truck (and I believe the difference came in '81?)

I apologize if I have this all wrong in my head. (it's a dark and scary place -full of cobwebs- in there!)

Maybe I am wrong?

It wouldn't be the first time, and it's probably not going to be the last.

I've never seen a red flex except on a very early truck (and I believe the difference came in '81?)

I apologize if I have this all wrong in my head. (it's a dark and scary place -full of cobwebs- in there!)

Maybe a Canadian specific part?

:nabble_smiley_wink:

You know, to match our nation flag...

Like our VCL door label, which are red too.