Bullnose Forums

Speed Control Upgrade

I’m in transition from an ‘85 300 I6 w/ NP435 (with vacuum speed control) to a ‘95 4.9L w/ 4R70W (with electronic speed control)

While switching out the pedal assembly it became apparent that now is the most convenient time to do any wiring changes as it relates to the speed control. Months ago I acquired the necessary servo/ amplifier, cable and about 6” of harness.

I’ve spent the last couple of days reading all that I can on previous threads from Gary, Jeff and others. Very helpful but somewhat confusing as most all pertain to manual transmissions or dealer installed kits. Soooo . . . .

I have a couple of questions.

In the ‘96 EVTM

- circuit 848, “speed control switch return”

Do I simply run that wire to ground as Gary suggests in the Big Blue thread?

- circuit 307, “brake pressure input”

My master cylinder does not have provisions for this “fire hazard” switch. Do I cap this wire off?

In essence creating the “open when system has pressure” state necessary to allow use of the controls?

- circuit 306, “clutch pedal position switch”.

I will no longer have this switch so I’m assuming that I need to provide a jumper, out of a couple

female spade terminals and wire, at the connector (as the EVTM diagram implies)

- circuit 679, “vehicular speed input”.

I would very much like to retain the use of my stock VSS that is part of my speedometer cable

(just under the master cylinder) It has two wires, the DG/W would be the signal and the BK should be

ground. Can I just run the BK wire over to the firewall with a ring terminal and a self tapper? Or does it

need to be tied into the harness somewhere?

Kurt, I need to look at the '96 EVTM.

There's a lot going on here,.. :nabble_smiley_what:

But if you're looking for a ground there's one right below the wiper motor.

That stud should be tied to your intake or block.

ALL grounds in the truck are tied together.

If the schematic shows ground it doesn't matter.

Kurt, I need to look at the '96 EVTM.

There's a lot going on here,.. :nabble_smiley_what:

But if you're looking for a ground there's one right below the wiper motor.

That stud should be tied to your intake or block.

ALL grounds in the truck are tied together.

If the schematic shows ground it doesn't matter.

Jim - We have the '96 EVTM, but here's a link to the speed control bit: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speed-control1.html

I'll see if I can rethink what I did and answer the specific questions. But I can say that what I did worked and worked well. And the stock Bullnose VSS works perfectly with the later speed control.

Jim - We have the '96 EVTM, but here's a link to the speed control bit: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speed-control1.html

I'll see if I can rethink what I did and answer the specific questions. But I can say that what I did worked and worked well. And the stock Bullnose VSS works perfectly with the later speed control.

I know it's here, but I don't know it inside out

Appreciate the link though

I know it's here, but I don't know it inside out

Appreciate the link though

Thanks for looking into this for me.

After posting, I’m wondering if perhaps I asked questions in a confusing way. It might have been better for me to list the circuit numbers from the ‘85 EVTM, as those are the existing wires in the original harness that I’m trying to marry up to a ‘95 device.

If a comparison chart would help, let me know and I’ll pull one together.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

After posting, I’m wondering if perhaps I asked questions in a confusing way. It might have been better for me to list the circuit numbers from the ‘85 EVTM, as those are the existing wires in the original harness that I’m trying to marry up to a ‘95 device.

If a comparison chart would help, let me know and I’ll pull one together.

Identifying the circuits you need would definitely be a big help.

Hopefully my phone will stop freaking out and I'll find some time tonight to work on it.

Hopefully my phone will stop freaking out and I'll find some time tonight to work on it.

I have my schematics in CAD on the shop computer, so can check out what I did, but not until tomorrow afternoon.

OK, lets see if this helps at all.

First off is the factory installed vacuum speed control.

There are three major connectors between the amplifier that is under the dash and the servo itself in the engine bay.

The larger of the two at the amplifier has 6 wires and is noted as C714 and the connector at the servo also has 6 wires and is noted as C753.

All 6 of these wires seem to simply be a jumper to send info from the amplifier to the servo.

The smaller of the two amplifier connectors also has 6 wires and is noted as C717. Pinouts as follows;

Circuit Wire Color Purpose

57 BK Ground

57A BK VSS Ground

150 DG/W VSS Signal

295 W/P 12+ (15a fuse) HOT IN RUN

151 LB/BK H Steering Pad

511 LG Clutch Switch/ Stop Lamp HOT AT ALL TIMES

The '95 electronic speed control.

This device has one connector with 7 wires;

679 GY/BK VSS Signal

306 T/LB Brake Light Switch

151 LB/BK Common Signal

848 DG/O Common Return

298 P/O 12+

307 BK/Y Brake Pressure

901 R/LB Ground

OK, lets see if this helps at all.

First off is the factory installed vacuum speed control.

There are three major connectors between the amplifier that is under the dash and the servo itself in the engine bay.

The larger of the two at the amplifier has 6 wires and is noted as C714 and the connector at the servo also has 6 wires and is noted as C753.

All 6 of these wires seem to simply be a jumper to send info from the amplifier to the servo.

The smaller of the two amplifier connectors also has 6 wires and is noted as C717. Pinouts as follows;

57 BK Ground

57A BK VSS Ground

150 DG/W VSS Signal

295 W/P 12+ (15a fuse) HOT IN RUN

151 LB/BK H Steering Pad

511 LG Clutch Switch/ Stop Lamp HOT AT ALL TIMES

The '95 electronic speed control.

This device has one connector with 7 wires;

679 GY/BK VSS Signal

306 T/LB Brake Light Switch

151 LB/BK Common Signal

848 DG/O Common Return

298 P/O 12+

307 BK/Y Brake Pressure

901 R/LB Ground

are you installing ford ecu/tcm or an aftermarket tcm for the 4r70w? how does this relate to the speed control?

are you installing ford ecu/tcm or an aftermarket tcm for the 4r70w? how does this relate to the speed control?

TCM will be by Bauman, a Quick 4, shouldn’t have any communication?

Also, TBI will be the Holley Sniper 2bbl, again, shouldn’t have any communications?