Bullnose Forums

E4OD - no forward gears only reverse

Agreed. Great job, Pete! I don’t suppose you’d recommend for anyone else to go down the same crazy road, would you?

I did find a site that sells kits for ford E4OD with videos for $600…

http://transmissionbench.com/E4OD4R100parts.html

But, after seeing your misadventure, I have to admit that it looks pretty overwhelming.

Thanks! The transmission bench road was the one I travelled. If you look back earlier in that page, I go through the process of rebuilding the trans and the tools I used, made or modified. The total cost of that road is more than $600 though. They strongly recommend you replace the solenoid pack and that was another 5-600.

All those transmission bench videos are on youtube, you can watch them first to see if it's something you want to attempt. I watched all 16 hours before I tore into it, and then of course watched them again while I was doing it. The videos say they are for the E4OD and the later 4R100, but they are really for the 4R100. Which is fine, they are mostly identical except for the part immediately behind the pump. The E4OD has a different arrangement there, which is not covered in the video. But once you've seen all the videos, you kind of know what to do with that part, even though it's not actually covered. Basically crack it all apart and replace the friction rings and steel rings and put it together.

There's a link to the first YT transmission bench video in that thread somewhere. But review the whole thread and the videos from TB to decide if it's something you want to take on.

I would certainly do it again (with a lift and a trans jack). My goal for my truck is that I can work on any part of it, so I have built everything myself. The only thing I haven't been into yet is the transfer case, and if it should start having problems, I will dig into it.

if you successfully completed the e4od then the transfer case will be a breeze for you. almost like legos in comparison.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic