Bullnose Forums

460 starter issue

i can buy one from summit for a 460 but it is a flat one. I'm happy to go that route and just fab the lower add on "chin cover". I just hope to know before I buy. time saved along with gas saved gets real.

I've had the Lakewood bell housing that fits.

It's a good enough piece, but it's not stock,

or cheap....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or cheap....

update. one of the heads is cracked. on the search for plan b if not c. my source can get me the matching casting code head as a reman but it is not cheap. gave info to customer for decision. now waiting. I tried to explain that the known is a set price where the search is not. it could cost more to find, collect then have machine shop repeat. I am getting an education in 460s. wow. they sure made a lot of variations.

or cheap....

update. one of the heads is cracked. on the search for plan b if not c. my source can get me the matching casting code head as a reman but it is not cheap. gave info to customer for decision. now waiting. I tried to explain that the known is a set price where the search is not. it could cost more to find, collect then have machine shop repeat. I am getting an education in 460s. wow. they sure made a lot of variations. the casting number says that these were from a mfi engine , 87 on. I seem to have a mixed bag of tricks

update. one of the heads is cracked. on the search for plan b if not c. my source can get me the matching casting code head as a reman but it is not cheap. gave info to customer for decision. now waiting. I tried to explain that the known is a set price where the search is not. it could cost more to find, collect then have machine shop repeat. I am getting an education in 460s. wow. they sure made a lot of variations.

I THINK I have a freshly rebuilt CNG D3VE-A2A without provision for thermactor at the barn in Wilton.

It would have flash rust but otherwise be freshly rebuilt with the heat tag on the end.

I bought a few heads from eBay that were said to be from a defunct machine shop in Texas that refurbed pumps for the oil industry, so corners were not cut...

(I KNOW I had it, I just don't know if it's been tossed out)

I'm not sure if or when you need it, but I really should go by there and get a load of stuff.

Having my axle blown up is putting a damper on a lot of things... 😕

I THINK I have a freshly rebuilt CNG D3VE-A2A without provision for thermactor at the barn in Wilton.

It would have flash rust but otherwise be freshly rebuilt with the heat tag on the end.

I bought a few heads from eBay that were said to be from a defunct machine shop in Texas that refurbed pumps for the oil industry, so corners were not cut...

(I KNOW I had it, I just don't know if it's been tossed out)

I'm not sure if or when you need it, but I really should go by there and get a load of stuff.

Having my axle blown up is putting a damper on a lot of things... 😕

Wait!

E7 fuelie heads on that truck?

I don't have anything like that, and the 450 engine is gone!

How do they have a carb on it? :nabble_anim_confused:

E7 lower plenum with a Price Motorsports adapter, or carb intake with plates at each head?

What are they using for exhaust?

The E7 ports are moved so far you can't really use a carb intake or exhaust with them.

Wait!

E7 fuelie heads on that truck?

I don't have anything like that, and the 450 engine is gone!

How do they have a carb on it? :nabble_anim_confused:

E7 lower plenum with a Price Motorsports adapter, or carb intake with plates at each head?

What are they using for exhaust?

The E7 ports are moved so far you can't really use a carb intake or exhaust with them.

Right, the EFI heads take a different intake and exhaust than the carb heads. And there are two versions of the EFI heads with the F3's being slightly better.

But the ports match between E7 & F3 heads.

this is where I am getting the education. the master book of compatibility we were using at the machine shop showed block, head, crank assembly combinations. that were documented from the factory. oddly the c,d,e,f casting codes did not follow what I have always "known". the block casting came up as possible from 71-79 as did the crank, yet the heads came up as 87 mfi. this engine has the cast iron 4 bbl. that weighs 80 lbs. and a new Holley. at first glance I knew something was odd with gray valve covers on a blue engine, but I did not think I was going this far off track. if the heads were put on as replacements, then it was a long time ago. they certainly looked original but hey "87". even "97" is almost thirty years ago.

this is where I am getting the education. the master book of compatibility we were using at the machine shop showed block, head, crank assembly combinations. that were documented from the factory. oddly the c,d,e,f casting codes did not follow what I have always "known". the block casting came up as possible from 71-79 as did the crank, yet the heads came up as 87 mfi. this engine has the cast iron 4 bbl. that weighs 80 lbs. and a new Holley. at first glance I knew something was odd with gray valve covers on a blue engine, but I did not think I was going this far off track. if the heads were put on as replacements, then it was a long time ago. they certainly looked original but hey "87". even "97" is almost thirty years ago.

E7 heads won't fit any 4V intake I've ever seen.

You need either the lower plenum with a $100 plate and plugs.

Or aluminum plates to adapt a carb intake with an intake gasket each side of the plates.

Price was an innovator in CNC parts back then.

EFI heads have different chambers and valve angles.

You can get away with putting them on a carb motor but you can't have a hairy cam, or true flattops without cutting proper valve reliefs.

E7 heads won't fit any 4V intake I've ever seen.

You need either the lower plenum with a $100 plate and plugs.

Or aluminum plates to adapt a carb intake with an intake gasket each side of the plates.

Price was an innovator in CNC parts back then.

EFI heads have different chambers and valve angles.

You can get away with putting them on a carb motor but you can't have a hairy cam, or true flattops without cutting proper valve reliefs.

I do not recommend running a carb on an EFI lower plenum as there's not much torque below 1500 RPM. Apparently they weren't designed for fuel in the air stream and it drops out of suspension, causing a lean condition.

So if you are running EFI heads then the adapters and a carb intake would be the way to go.