Bullnose Forums

460 starter issue

I do not recommend running a carb on an EFI lower plenum as there's not much torque below 1500 RPM. Apparently they weren't designed for fuel in the air stream and it drops out of suspension, causing a lean condition.

So if you are running EFI heads then the adapters and a carb intake would be the way to go.

https://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_ap-37_intake_adapter_plate.html

AP-37web2.jpg.a47ddefc2f07f1f1446cc692df3074bc.jpg

AP-37web3.jpg.ad53e7c2fa18ea0aaec57a351bfe5028.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, adapt the carb intake to the heads. Don't adapt a carb to the EFI intake.

The very-worn 460 in Big Blue sporting Edelbrock's intake, carb, and cam pulled like a tractor from idle. The new engine from Scotty with his cam and carb adapter on an EFI intake didn't start pulling until 1500, and didn't have any more top end than the worn out engine. But when I went to EFI and got the fuel out of the intake the engine woke up.

Yes, adapt the carb intake to the heads. Don't adapt a carb to the EFI intake.

The very-worn 460 in Big Blue sporting Edelbrock's intake, carb, and cam pulled like a tractor from idle. The new engine from Scotty with his cam and carb adapter on an EFI intake didn't start pulling until 1500, and didn't have any more top end than the worn out engine. But when I went to EFI and got the fuel out of the intake the engine woke up.

You were waterboarding Scotties engine. 💡

this is where I am getting the education. the master book of compatibility we were using at the machine shop showed block, head, crank assembly combinations. that were documented from the factory. oddly the c,d,e,f casting codes did not follow what I have always "known". the block casting came up as possible from 71-79 as did the crank, yet the heads came up as 87 mfi. this engine has the cast iron 4 bbl. that weighs 80 lbs. and a new Holley. at first glance I knew something was odd with gray valve covers on a blue engine, but I did not think I was going this far off track. if the heads were put on as replacements, then it was a long time ago. they certainly looked original but hey "87". even "97" is almost thirty years ago.

Mat,

If you're already gonna have to replace one head and have an iron 4V intake, do both, and get the D3. A2A's instead.

Junkyard heads are not expensive.... still.

Magnaflux them and clean up the valves.

You will be saving a ton of time and frustration trying to get the reversion worked out to where that thing will run right with EFI heads.

Marsh Auto Parts Truck Yard

(919) 663-1908

https://g.co/kgs/phqB3YC

Mat,

If you're already gonna have to replace one head and have an iron 4V intake, do both, and get the D3. A2A's instead.

Junkyard heads are not expensive.... still.

Magnaflux them and clean up the valves.

You will be saving a ton of time and frustration trying to get the reversion worked out to where that thing will run right with EFI heads.

Marsh Auto Parts Truck Yard

(919) 663-1908

https://g.co/kgs/phqB3YC

I'm not sure where you are Matt, because the map has you in Nashville.

But this salvage near my brother's farm in Siler City is a good one. 👍

I'm not sure where you are Matt, because the map has you in Nashville.

But this salvage near my brother's farm in Siler City is a good one. 👍

actually, I left Nashville a year and a half ago. I am now in Lexington NC. a small rural city south of Winston Salem. I had to get out of Nashville as I watched it lose its soul over the forty plus years. I'm not going to go on a rant about "other walks of life". to each his own. however, I'm not afraid to claim Christianity, patriotism, and constitutionalist on a resume'. I'm an American dammit! but first and foremost I am man! as created!

I'm not sure where siler city is. I may have been close and didn't know at some time. I'm always going somewhere. just got home from the coast an hour ago

I do not recommend running a carb on an EFI lower plenum as there's not much torque below 1500 RPM. Apparently they weren't designed for fuel in the air stream and it drops out of suspension, causing a lean condition.

So if you are running EFI heads then the adapters and a carb intake would be the way to go.

Gee, I wonder who explained that to you?

actually, I left Nashville a year and a half ago. I am now in Lexington NC. a small rural city south of Winston Salem. I had to get out of Nashville as I watched it lose its soul over the forty plus years. I'm not going to go on a rant about "other walks of life". to each his own. however, I'm not afraid to claim Christianity, patriotism, and constitutionalist on a resume'. I'm an American dammit! but first and foremost I am man! as created!

I'm not sure where siler city is. I may have been close and didn't know at some time. I'm always going somewhere. just got home from the coast an hour ago

Maybe Dave G can explain it to you.

He drives Propane all over the center of the state. ????

Or you could click the link. I'm pretty sure they have a 'directions' tab.

• 2 months later...

Maybe Dave G can explain it to you.

He drives Propane all over the center of the state. ????

Or you could click the link. I'm pretty sure they have a 'directions' tab.

just getting back on what took way too long. finally got all parts in house and got the 460 completed last month. waiting on parts really gets old. all installed with an auto separator plate and new clutch. primed the oil pump for an extended time. set dist. and when we started it, it fired immediately as if it had been running and dialed in already. timing was as perfectly on 0 as I have ever seen. a quick adjustment and a good break in and it runs awesome. I'm sure it will return for more as time goes by since there are cosmetics that he wanted before the engine costs got away from him.

just getting back on what took way too long. finally got all parts in house and got the 460 completed last month. waiting on parts really gets old. all installed with an auto separator plate and new clutch. primed the oil pump for an extended time. set dist. and when we started it, it fired immediately as if it had been running and dialed in already. timing was as perfectly on 0 as I have ever seen. a quick adjustment and a good break in and it runs awesome. I'm sure it will return for more as time goes by since there are cosmetics that he wanted before the engine costs got away from him.

Glad it worked out so well! :nabble_anim_claps: