Bullnose Forums

460 starter issue

well, I got it fully apart today. four pistons dropped their broken rings upon removal, two pistons galled at the skirts and top. obvious sign of the bores having been rusted and then "freed up". main bearings shot. the timing chain has 1 1/2" slack. so, it's clearly just worn out. the oil pump pickup does reach toward the back and fit the pan properly. for the most part all parts seem to fit as well as need be. the timing cover will get thoroughly cleaned before that judgment gets made. I have a little time now that I have dropped the block off at the machine shop.

That's not going to be cheap. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

What flavor of pistons/rings/bearings does your machine shop use?

How did the cam look?

I'm going to suggest a straight up double roller timing set from an 88/ EFI engine.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not going to be cheap. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

What flavor of pistons/rings/bearings does your machine shop use?

How did the cam look?

I'm going to suggest a straight up double roller timing set from an 88/ EFI engine.

we have not chosen the pistons yet. I'm certain it will get hypereutectic but not sure of brand. I agree on timing set since I'm not going to be using the fuel pump eccentric. the cam and lifters seem good although need a good cleaning.

we have not chosen the pistons yet. I'm certain it will get hypereutectic but not sure of brand. I agree on timing set since I'm not going to be using the fuel pump eccentric. the cam and lifters seem good although need a good cleaning.

EFI cam gear still has a space for the eccentric.

I've got a mechanical pump, i know it works.

A stock cam with zero retard in the timing is plenty spicy on top (for a pickup)

If there was that much slop I'm trying to understand how the chain didn't eat the timing cover.

Id be a little leery of re- using lifters that old, but it seems that whoever owned that engine 53 years ago stayed on top of oil changes if they are still crowned.. :nabble_smiley_good:

EFI cam gear still has a space for the eccentric.

I've got a mechanical pump, i know it works.

A stock cam with zero retard in the timing is plenty spicy on top (for a pickup)

If there was that much slop I'm trying to understand how the chain didn't eat the timing cover.

Id be a little leery of re- using lifters that old, but it seems that whoever owned that engine 53 years ago stayed on top of oil changes if they are still crowned.. :nabble_smiley_good:

yes, lifters need scrutiny for sure after a good cleaning. overall, the engine was not full of scale and gunk just very dirty oil. probably not going to touch it for the next week. big parts are at machine shop. I have other work to do and I'm going to take a little trade trip to TN and see grandkids while I'm there.

yes, lifters need scrutiny for sure after a good cleaning. overall, the engine was not full of scale and gunk just very dirty oil. probably not going to touch it for the next week. big parts are at machine shop. I have other work to do and I'm going to take a little trade trip to TN and see grandkids while I'm there.

Enjoy them while they're young and still speaking to you! 😊

Hope the much deserved break is refreshing.

(I've found retrospection is always a good reason to go 'home')

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy them while they're young and still speaking to you! 😊

Hope the much deserved break is refreshing.

(I've found retrospection is always a good reason to go 'home')

I have been doing a little research on the 86 f350 that I am rebuilding the engine for since I'm still waiting on the block at the machine shop. from different pictures that I have found, I believe I have located the origin for the engine sitting too low, along with the resulting belt rubs etc. now I am not a 460 expert at all. it's an engine like any other yet the fitment specifics are new to me. I know that I need to find the proper separator plate, but I seem to have the engine mounts for the 71 block and not the ones for an 86. it looks to me that the 86 used a taller lower portion than the earlier version of what looks to be a two-piece engine mount. if there are any pics/ documents that might help. I have not found one yet to look at in person to see for sure. if I cannot find the parts I know I can make them if I have dimensions.

I have been doing a little research on the 86 f350 that I am rebuilding the engine for since I'm still waiting on the block at the machine shop. from different pictures that I have found, I believe I have located the origin for the engine sitting too low, along with the resulting belt rubs etc. now I am not a 460 expert at all. it's an engine like any other yet the fitment specifics are new to me. I know that I need to find the proper separator plate, but I seem to have the engine mounts for the 71 block and not the ones for an 86. it looks to me that the 86 used a taller lower portion than the earlier version of what looks to be a two-piece engine mount. if there are any pics/ documents that might help. I have not found one yet to look at in person to see for sure. if I cannot find the parts I know I can make them if I have dimensions.

Early engines with front dipstick's were very distinct from D9 external balance engines.

The towers are high, the DS engine mount has a heat shield.

L&L have mounts that put a 460 in the right place.

Don't reinvent the wheel when you can just buy it.

Bill & I both have pictures of the engine mounts and the adapter plates that bolt to the block, in order to hold the exhaust manifolds up off the perches.

Pictures of 1986 460 mount system as requested:

Adapter plate on D9TE block.

DSCN1237.thumb.jpg.9f834a221ba7c115a98119bb396a211f.jpg

Left side mount with heat shield.

DSCN1288.thumb.jpg.e64bf9e0fd404510633d5f1667d9e9f2.jpg

First thing, notice the size of these compared to the L&L mounts, they last, Darth's are still the original 1986 ones.

The frame perches are also different for the 460 due to the size of the engine and where the mounts sit.

Pictures of 1986 460 mount system as requested:

Adapter plate on D9TE block.

Left side mount with heat shield.

First thing, notice the size of these compared to the L&L mounts, they last, Darth's are still the original 1986 ones.

The frame perches are also different for the 460 due to the size of the engine and where the mounts sit.

these are the parts that I have. in my looking for pics and info I have seen one 460 for sale that has the 90-degree oil filter adapter and what looked to be risers on the engine mounts. I have not seen that before. that's why I am asking. in regard to the engine mounts, is the 460 the same or similar to a 351m/400? I do have one of those I could measure.