Bullnose Forums

460 starter issue

well, I got to the shop to plant the 289 and saw an f350 with the hood removed:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

so, we are approved to rebuild the 460. nothing extra but a reliability rebuild. so, I got it out and on the stand that I just got the 289 off of and it sagged. I got to get one of these! haha. head gaskets being torched between 4 and 3 plus an exit. head gasket blown between 7 and 8. cyl. 7 has a distinct irregular wear pattern along with definite signs of the engine having been rusted in the bores and then being thrown in the truck. cutting torch hole for the oil filter to go through the k member. about the only good thing to report would be thanks to the last work, none of the mix and match bolts were too tight. four bell housing bolts. and the fan bade was installed backwards on the clutch. checked the casting number and it's a d1 casting.

If you think the 460 is heavy, wait until you get to put an IDI on the stand! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

'71 engine was said to be the worst for smog detonation, but it has the lower deck height, so has good compression.

Ford opened up the chambers on the D2 heads, and raised the deck on D3 blocks.

Internal balance means you have to be careful to get the right zero balance flywheel or flex plate today.

I've mentioned MANY times about the dented cross member for the IDI and 460 with the 90° filter adapter and screwy lower radiator hose.

Hacking a hole is methed up. :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

I'm surprised you were able to break the head bolts loose without flipping the stand over! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Let's see some pics of the Cougar! :nabble_smiley_cool:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think the 460 is heavy, wait until you get to put an IDI on the stand! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

'71 engine was said to be the worst for smog detonation, but it has the lower deck height, so has good compression.

Ford opened up the chambers on the D2 heads, and raised the deck on D3 blocks.

Internal balance means you have to be careful to get the right zero balance flywheel or flex plate today.

I've mentioned MANY times about the dented cross member for the IDI and 460 with the 90° filter adapter and screwy lower radiator hose.

Hacking a hole is methed up. :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

I'm surprised you were able to break the head bolts loose without flipping the stand over! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Let's see some pics of the Cougar! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I knew instantly that an adapter was supposed to be there. I know nothing about the lower hose yet. another oddity was I noticed an odd rubbing on the outside of the power steering belt and found it rubbing on the adjusting screw of the steering gear. it's a little close for me. that will be another issue to solve if I'm not lucky enough to correct it with engine placement. this is not a restoration! but a "get it running reliably" job. workin man's truck. just an observation.... should one be able to turn a 460 with a 3/8 ratchet trying to remove pulley bolts? the engine spins with far less resistance than expected. I am not a big guy and use breaker bars often, but I don't even need more than an 8"-3/8 ratchet. but I used a breaker bar on the head bolts that is for sure. and intake too. very little compression and number seven piston is pitted like water intrusion. or even a small screw. I'm hoping to avoid machine shop as it will save the customer 1k and three weeks, but I can't say it yet.

I knew instantly that an adapter was supposed to be there. I know nothing about the lower hose yet. another oddity was I noticed an odd rubbing on the outside of the power steering belt and found it rubbing on the adjusting screw of the steering gear. it's a little close for me. that will be another issue to solve if I'm not lucky enough to correct it with engine placement. this is not a restoration! but a "get it running reliably" job. workin man's truck. just an observation.... should one be able to turn a 460 with a 3/8 ratchet trying to remove pulley bolts? the engine spins with far less resistance than expected. I am not a big guy and use breaker bars often, but I don't even need more than an 8"-3/8 ratchet. but I used a breaker bar on the head bolts that is for sure. and intake too. very little compression and number seven piston is pitted like water intrusion. or even a small screw. I'm hoping to avoid machine shop as it will save the customer 1k and three weeks, but I can't say it yet.

I have upgraded to the Saginaw pump.

Do you want a picture of mine?

No adapter on the '71 car that engine came out of.

I can tell you that '70's car brackets put the front dress into the cross member.

When I got rid of my smog pumps I tried an alternator bracket from a CJ Torino and the alternator sat too low.

I tried some other 429 car brackets and none of them fit.

I ended up with an L&L alternator bracket (I think Scott has one too)

You have 4 cylinders with zero effective compression....

And these smog engines had 8:1 at best.

It's going to be pretty easy. 😉

You have 4 cylinders with zero effective compression....

And these smog engines had 8:1 at best.

It's going to be pretty easy. 😉

1985 460 van Saginaw setup

IMG_20240203_092528_MP.jpg.70d92d7fd53a72c37b67316bc586b79b.jpg

IMG_20240203_092540_MP.jpg.14f0bf4f780b96932252520c0d152b1e.jpg

IMG_20240203_092603_MP.jpg.a890bd133910ce00294f086745056b9f.jpg

No, I can't be bothered to rotate them.

I have more opinions about the forum software and my having to send an apologetic email to every new member, but that's another rant for another thread.

Hope these help. :nabble_smiley_good:

well, I got to the shop to plant the 289 and saw an f350 with the hood removedhttp://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

so, we are approved to rebuild the 460. nothing extra but a reliability rebuild. so, I got it out and on the stand that I just got the 289 off of and it sagged. I got to get one of these! haha. head gaskets being torched between 4 and 3 plus an exit. head gasket blown between 7 and 8. cyl. 7 has a distinct irregular wear pattern along with definite signs of the engine having been rusted in the bores and then being thrown in the truck. cutting torch hole for the oil filter to go through the k member. about the only good thing to report would be thanks to the last work, none of the mix and match bolts were too tight. four bell housing bolts. and the fan bade was installed backwards on the clutch. checked the casting number and it's a d1 casting.

Mat, here is my 1972 vintage Lakewood folding engine stand with my new 460 on it:

DSCN1271.thumb.jpg.ae45c0bed4d039c0a42883c12fde821c.jpg

Mat, here is my 1972 vintage Lakewood folding engine stand with my new 460 on it:

that's a whole lot better looking than the 460 I have to work with. I am not detailing it as its not needed or requested but it will get paint at least. I just have to. I could not look the customer in the face if it's not at least clean and painted.

that's a whole lot better looking than the 460 I have to work with. I am not detailing it as its not needed or requested but it will get paint at least. I just have to. I could not look the customer in the face if it's not at least clean and painted.

I have a better set of valve covers, those are just to cover it up.

Question for you...

What year F-350?

If it's manual ('83 on) how was a rear sump pan implemented with the 71 engine?

'71 has a dipstick in the timing cover....

All '80/ trucks have a rear sump.

There's an extended pickup that hangs from a stud in the passenger side #4 main cap.

With an internal balance crank I don't even know if the pickup tube will clear the counterweights.

I know you can't use a D9 block because the sleeves project too far.