Bullnose Forums

460 starter issue

I do remember Get Smart. So I've seen one on TV. Just not to lay hands on.

so, I spent a bit of time today on this 460 f350 and got a bit more test results. frustrating as hell trying to rig the starter to work over and over. ran a jumper with a switch from pos terminal to front tank pump and ran the pump. started the truck and ran it for a couple minutes and checked things. shut it off and did a few corrections. dist vac was hooked to manifold vacuum and not timed. egr was run to timed vacuum so it was essentially a controlled vacuum leak. number four plug wire shook off when started. then messed with trying to get the starter back in a working position, again. started it, it ran well all but on 7 cyl. number seven showed no life at all yet the plug looks to be trying. base timing is good. but a couple degrees high. timed advance response is good. carb tweaked a bit and idled well at 800. with a dead miss. pulling a plug wire, one at a time and listening while watching the tach all but #seven showed life. some 50 rpm drop and some 15. very irregular. smokes like a broken ring. comp test showed zero response, but we were fiddling with getting the starter to work again. and I said enough. the engine needs a rebuild! maybe not a full blown reman but a rebuild at least. while its out the dang separator plate can be installed and so on.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, I spent a bit of time today on this 460 f350 and got a bit more test results. frustrating as hell trying to rig the starter to work over and over. ran a jumper with a switch from pos terminal to front tank pump and ran the pump. started the truck and ran it for a couple minutes and checked things. shut it off and did a few corrections. dist vac was hooked to manifold vacuum and not timed. egr was run to timed vacuum so it was essentially a controlled vacuum leak. number four plug wire shook off when started. then messed with trying to get the starter back in a working position, again. started it, it ran well all but on 7 cyl. number seven showed no life at all yet the plug looks to be trying. base timing is good. but a couple degrees high. timed advance response is good. carb tweaked a bit and idled well at 800. with a dead miss. pulling a plug wire, one at a time and listening while watching the tach all but #seven showed life. some 50 rpm drop and some 15. very irregular. smokes like a broken ring. comp test showed zero response, but we were fiddling with getting the starter to work again. and I said enough. the engine needs a rebuild! maybe not a full blown reman but a rebuild at least. while its out the dang separator plate can be installed and so on.

I'm sure by now the lower starter bolt needs a helicoil.

The distributor is supposed to be connected to manifold vacuum -through a restriction- and the thermal switch in the water neck.

If the coolant gets much above (atmospheric) boiling the valve opens applying full manifold, and more timing to increase idle speed and get the water pump turning.

Is there no routing diagram and tuning sticker on the rad support?

I'm sure by now the lower starter bolt needs a helicoil.

The distributor is supposed to be connected to manifold vacuum -through a restriction- and the thermal switch in the water neck.

If the coolant gets much above (atmospheric) boiling the valve opens applying full manifold, and more timing to increase idle speed and get the water pump turning.

Is there no routing diagram and tuning sticker on the rad support?

there is but I'm just doing the investigation first give a recommendation for how to make this a dependable truck. all hoses were removed from all vacuum switches. I set it up as a basic setup just to get it running so I would at least know what I could expect from it. a dead cyl is still my biggest discovery.

there is but I'm just doing the investigation first give a recommendation for how to make this a dependable truck. all hoses were removed from all vacuum switches. I set it up as a basic setup just to get it running so I would at least know what I could expect from it. a dead cyl is still my biggest discovery.

Leakdown or borescope? 🧐

Leakdown or borescope? 🧐

I will try to get a look inside, but I don't want to lose another day trying to get a starter fit good enough to get a second or third opinion of something that is getting better defined as needing a come apart either way.

with lower end making "loose" bearing noises a few times, strong puffing out the intake side of the pcv while pcv is pulling strong also, blue smoke from exhaust, a dead cyl.,and needing to come out to install a separator plate, its really only going in one direction.

I will try to get a look inside, but I don't want to lose another day trying to get a starter fit good enough to get a second or third opinion of something that is getting better defined as needing a come apart either way.

with lower end making "loose" bearing noises a few times, strong puffing out the intake side of the pcv while pcv is pulling strong also, blue smoke from exhaust, a dead cyl.,and needing to come out to install a separator plate, its really only going in one direction.

You're absolutely right.

I just think about all the repairs I've made where the customer is in denial and "wants proof". 🙄

A 15 second borescope video showing the shattered piston lands or hole in the piston from detonation is good medicine for this type of idiocy.

You're absolutely right.

I just think about all the repairs I've made where the customer is in denial and "wants proof". 🙄

A 15 second borescope video showing the shattered piston lands or hole in the piston from detonation is good medicine for this type of idiocy.

so true. makes the point of a diagnosis and less of a sales pitch.

This surprises you?

They're an alpine with a 289 shoehorned in.

Bill would like this because it's exactly something Shelby would do.

Joe Chiapetta in Florida specializes in them exclusively.

He was the biggest Cougar freak back in the day.

Jim, Shelby did do it for Sunbeam. Funniest was after Chrysler acquired Rootes group, they tried to stuff the 273 into the Tiger, too big to fit.

Sunbeam's West coast division tried doing the swap by retaining the Alpine's monkey motion steering linkage. End result, a 2 seat roadster that plowed worse than a Square Bird with a 430 MEL in it.

Shelby American used an MGB steering rack and pushed the engine back in the body, yes plug changes rival a 4 speed Mustang CJ with a smoke grinder, but the cars scoot and corner.

Jim, Shelby did do it for Sunbeam. Funniest was after Chrysler acquired Rootes group, they tried to stuff the 273 into the Tiger, too big to fit.

Sunbeam's West coast division tried doing the swap by retaining the Alpine's monkey motion steering linkage. End result, a 2 seat roadster that plowed worse than a Square Bird with a 430 MEL in it.

Shelby American used an MGB steering rack and pushed the engine back in the body, yes plug changes rival a 4 speed Mustang CJ with a smoke grinder, but the cars scoot and corner.

I was trying to say that you liked it because it was a Shelby thing.

I may have a good vocabulary but I can be cryptic at times..

I was trying to say that you liked it because it was a Shelby thing.

I may have a good vocabulary but I can be cryptic at times..

well, I got to the shop to plant the 289 and saw an f350 with the hood removed:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

so, we are approved to rebuild the 460. nothing extra but a reliability rebuild. so, I got it out and on the stand that I just got the 289 off of and it sagged. I got to get one of these! haha. head gaskets being torched between 4 and 3 plus an exit. head gasket blown between 7 and 8. cyl. 7 has a distinct irregular wear pattern along with definite signs of the engine having been rusted in the bores and then being thrown in the truck. cutting torch hole for the oil filter to go through the k member. about the only good thing to report would be thanks to the last work, none of the mix and match bolts were too tight. four bell housing bolts. and the fan bade was installed backwards on the clutch. checked the casting number and it's a d1 casting.