Bullnose Forums

Next issue Heater air flow

Herein lies the fallacy (stupidity?) of Ford's numbering system. People assume, for an obvious reason, that the number on a part is a part number. But no, Ford had a Better Idea! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

So they, and we, have people wanting to buy a part based on the number on the part - which in Fordspeak is an ID #. However the #'s in the master parts catalog are, oddly enough, part numbers, not ID #'s. Given that they issued a Master Cross Reference List wherein you can look up either the ID # or the PN and find the other one - in theory.

But what I see on the part in question is E1AH 190961-BA. And there is no 19096, much less a 190961, in the 1985 MCRL - that I can find.

So let's go back to the page I referenced at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems and then go to the Part Numbers tab. There you'll find lots of #'s, inc the ones below, from which I think we are looking for PN E4TZ 19980-N. And from the MCRL I see that it should have the ID # of E4TH 19980-MA on it.

But let's assume that the number on the part is actually E4TH 19980-BA. That crosses to E4TZ 19980-G, which the MPC says is for an 84 with an aux fuel tank, and that control does not have the switch for the aux tank.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n146086/19980-ac-control-header_orig.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n146086/19980-ac-control-1_orig.jpg

Yeap, Better Idea to confuse an ole fart like me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herein lies the fallacy (stupidity?) of Ford's numbering system. People assume, for an obvious reason, that the number on a part is a part number. But no, Ford had a Better Idea! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

So they, and we, have people wanting to buy a part based on the number on the part - which in Fordspeak is an ID #. However the #'s in the master parts catalog are, oddly enough, part numbers, not ID #'s. Given that they issued a Master Cross Reference List wherein you can look up either the ID # or the PN and find the other one - in theory.

But what I see on the part in question is E1AH 190961-BA. And there is no 19096, much less a 190961, in the 1985 MCRL - that I can find.

So let's go back to the page I referenced at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems and then go to the Part Numbers tab. There you'll find lots of #'s, inc the ones below, from which I think we are looking for PN E4TZ 19980-N. And from the MCRL I see that it should have the ID # of E4TH 19980-MA on it.

But let's assume that the number on the part is actually E4TH 19980-BA. That crosses to E4TZ 19980-G, which the MPC says is for an 84 with an aux fuel tank, and that control does not have the switch for the aux tank.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

The used unit* shown definitely has a tank selector.

Screenshot_2024-02-04-15-09-20-492.jpeg.6974e97ca576e574f1fc2b6b40f4c16f.jpeg

Yes, I think that's the one he needs. But the #'s don't make sense to me.

Yes, that's the correct one although I don't understand why that number is on what I call the vacuum manifold. Anyway, that one has a broken plug per the description. I am looking at them on Evil Bay. Thanks guys.

The Master Parts Catalog.

I do believe Gary showed you where that page is?

If he did, I didn't save it. I have just about everything Gary copies me on. It's not in my parts folder.

sorry to be so late, I have been cleaning in the shop. I looked and only found one valve and it's an old original. I am trying to find the info of where I bought the last one. lmc does not show it.

sorry to be so late, I have been cleaning in the shop. I looked and only found one valve and it's an old original. I am trying to find the info of where I bought the last one. lmc does not show it.

the dash panel heater control is not the issue but the black and amber component that is mounted to the control panel. it has always been a replaceable part and I'm sure I bought the first one at auto zone 25 years ago. it is becoming a rarity today though. it is not only the vacuum control for the servos but it is also an electrical switch for cycling the ac compressor on / off depending on whether you are using ac or defroster.