Bullnose Forums

Ford dual tank silliness

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a picture gallery on the site. If you go there pictures of a number of trucks are there including Darth.

Is Darth's pumpkin blown to smithereens?

Mat may be right.

There was some small thing banging around in there.

I didn't see it until I cleaned out my cover.

IMG_20240131_095003_MP.jpg.c8c12f39479a0e5a4a00bc36776d7488.jpg

Mat may be right.

I need to pry the chunks out of the crown and get a better look at the carnage

Mat may be right.

No, Darth's was updated due to the left side wheel inner bearing seizing and galling the tube. I got a used axle from Pete's and used just the housing as it had a rusted 4.10 set in it. I used the guts from the 1990 F250 parts truck as it was a 3.55 limited slip. Due to the axle from Pete's being a 1993 or newer, it had the 3.5" wide rear brakes.

The one I completely rebuilt was my best friend's (we have been friends since 1972) used one he bought from Pete's for his 1995 F350 with the first gen Power Stroke 7.3L. He wanted rear disc brakes installed as he didn't like the stopping power. We took Darth to dinner one night when I was clearing out the house in NN because his had a trailer hooked up and to get his Corvette out involved moving that first. Since he knew the way and I didn't, I just threw him Darth's keys and said "you drive". First corner he nearly put us both through the windshield.

Possibly could have jammed in the gears causing catastrophic failure?

I don't think so. 🤷‍♂️

The Zf shifts well. I haven't blown a shift since I was a teenager (45 years ago)

I noticed a weepy pinion seal a while back.

I checked the lube. Made sure it was topped up and had the seal in hand waiting for a clear day when I wasn't literally exhausted.

Then one day I backed off to coast through an intersection.

Bang!

Skid...

Roll into a lot and look underneath.

Go back to the intersection to see that both wheels locked (this is an open diff)

Xxxx it, I've got to go.

I was very cautious from there on, but at 0-dark-30 one morning doing about 70 on the Parkway....

BOOM! 😳

And the driveshaft is flailing around!...

I dove to the right and rolled off a ramp.

I walked back to snatch the driveshaft from the center lane.

I looked for my hubcap but just went back to the truck, locked the hubs and got out of there before someone showed up.

I'll just keep driving until I can afford the grand worth of parts I need to put this thing back together. 😄

I don't think so. 🤷‍♂️

The Zf shifts well. I haven't blown a shift since I was a teenager (45 years ago)

I noticed a weepy pinion seal a while back.

I checked the lube. Made sure it was topped up and had the seal in hand waiting for a clear day when I wasn't literally exhausted.

Then one day I backed off to coast through an intersection.

Bang!

Skid...

Roll into a lot and look underneath.

Go back to the intersection to see that both wheels locked (this is an open diff)

Xxxx it, I've got to go.

I was very cautious from there on, but at 0-dark-30 one morning doing about 70 on the Parkway....

BOOM! 😳

And the driveshaft is flailing around!...

I dove to the right and rolled off a ramp.

I walked back to snatch the driveshaft from the center lane.

I looked for my hubcap but just went back to the truck, locked the hubs and got out of there before someone showed up.

I'll just keep driving until I can afford the grand worth of parts I need to put this thing back together. 😄

I didn't know you could drive with just the front that long.