Bullnose Forums

Ford dual tank silliness

Figured I might as well put up a new thread on this, as it's a common problem. So, I've been through the nightmare of the fuel tank selector valve on my truck. I've been through 2 replacement valves. The first lasted about a year (not being used much), the second lasted a week. Currently, I have a system using dual 3 port electric valves( standard fv1 IIRC). I'll try to get some pics Monday. The wiring is much simplified, and could be used with manual valves, and retain the function of switching the fuel gauge between tanks. All using the factory fuel tank selector switch in the climate control thing.

Bradley,

Believe me, I have walked this path and know the pitfalls.

Your '86 had the most 'updated' version of HFH.

the 6-port Pollak valve KIT should be around $80 delivered from eBay.

Yeah sure... "updated"... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: the older ones couldn't have been any worse! My point is that I've found a way to fuctionally separate the fuel gauge circuit from the selector valve circuit. Not completely, as they share a trigger. So, if I were to put manual valves in, all I'd have to do is remove the electric valves.

Yeah sure... "updated"... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: the older ones couldn't have been any worse! My point is that I've found a way to fuctionally separate the fuel gauge circuit from the selector valve circuit. Not completely, as they share a trigger. So, if I were to put manual valves in, all I'd have to do is remove the electric valves.

Ready for the zombie apocalypse??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Some setups have the senders switched at the actual switch in the climate control.

You could find that p/n and just run the wires..... 💡

Ready for the zombie apocalypse??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Some setups have the senders switched at the actual switch in the climate control.

You could find that p/n and just run the wires..... 💡

Well, I used the original 6-pole switch, and just ran an "in" and an "out". I'll explain later. I'll have to get some pics. Going to attempt to get it broken in this week.

Well, I used the original 6-pole switch, and just ran an "in" and an "out". I'll explain later. I'll have to get some pics. Going to attempt to get it broken in this week.

Interested to hear more on this dual valve approach. After dealing with multiple types of issues with the fuel selection process, the worst (a blocked overloaded pump getting fried) and second worst (front tank recirculating into rear and causing an overflow) I decided to go manual until I found something better. Check video below. Dead reliable but the only downside is needing to crawl underneath every so often to switch between tanks.

Fuel Selector Delete F250 F350 with 3-way brass valve

Interested to hear more on this dual valve approach. After dealing with multiple types of issues with the fuel selection process, the worst (a blocked overloaded pump getting fried) and second worst (front tank recirculating into rear and causing an overflow) I decided to go manual until I found something better. Check video below. Dead reliable but the only downside is needing to crawl underneath every so often to switch between tanks.

Fuel Selector Delete F250 F350 with 3-way brass valve

This guy probably spent as much in valves and wiring as he would have spent on the proper tank selector from Polak.

About $80 market cost, $52 to me.

I can appreciate his approach, but re-inventing the wheel for the inconvenience of crawling under your truck every 160 miles (rain/sleet/sand/snow/midnight/daylight/whatever) is not appealing at all.

Maybe it's because I crawl under cars & trucks every day, in all weather?

I can't post the words that spring immediately to mind. 🤬

This guy probably spent as much in valves and wiring as he would have spent on the proper tank selector from Polak.

About $80 market cost, $52 to me.

I can appreciate his approach, but re-inventing the wheel for the inconvenience of crawling under your truck every 160 miles (rain/sleet/sand/snow/midnight/daylight/whatever) is not appealing at all.

Maybe it's because I crawl under cars & trucks every day, in all weather?

I can't post the words that spring immediately to mind. 🤬

I'm having the same issue with an 86 f150. typical selector valve/res issue. tried a new one and a couple used "yard" parts. still no good. my brother has just been using one tank. but right now, he is driving his dodge so that we may get to his ford this spring. or maybe he will wait till:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: winter again.

I'm having the same issue with an 86 f150. typical selector valve/res issue. tried a new one and a couple used "yard" parts. still no good. my brother has just been using one tank. but right now, he is driving his dodge so that we may get to his ford this spring. or maybe he will wait till:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: winter again.

Winter beaters like plow trucks can sit broken for 9 months, but come the first blizzard all of the sudden it's CRITICAL! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Snowblowers fall in this "unique" category as well. :nabble_smiley_wink: