Bullnose Forums

Carbureted 351W throttle cable with cruise control replacement question

Got a question regarding the throttle cable for a 351W HO throttle cable with factory cruise control. The replacement throttle cables don't come with the adapter piece for the cruise control. Does this piece come off and can be transferred to the new cable? I've looked at it a couple times over the years and it doesn't appear to come off easily or maybe without breaking it off. Not sure of a good way to attach the cruise control cable to a new throttle cable. Old picture from years ago for reference.

throttle_cable.png.0d167c5e9bcbcfc2225495975fef28e8.png

Years ago, that plastic was a whole lot more pliable than it is today.

In all the parts catalogs I've been through I've never seen a reference to speed control, specifically.

A year ago November when the throttle cable my truck broke I did not see any distinction (granted, I have a 460 with a 23+ inch throttle cable)

Ifitaintbroke/Bradley works at an auto parts store, I believe.

Perhaps you should tag him to this thread and see if he has any additional info?

ETA: A little more information here. https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Part-Number-Help-tp140562.html

Years ago, that plastic was a whole lot more pliable than it is today.

In all the parts catalogs I've been through I've never seen a reference to speed control, specifically.

A year ago November when the throttle cable my truck broke I did not see any distinction (granted, I have a 460 with a 23+ inch throttle cable)

Ifitaintbroke/Bradley works at an auto parts store, I believe.

Perhaps you should tag him to this thread and see if he has any additional info?

ETA: A little more information here. https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Part-Number-Help-tp140562.html

I remember that plastic cap coming off of the cable and is actually part of the cruise control beaded chain end. maybe not on every model.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/pioneer-inc/fuel-delivery/accelerator-cable/4cc8ef007abf/pioneer-accelerator-cable/pio0/ca8459/v/a/5318/automotive-truck-1986-ford-f-250?q=accelerator+cable&pos=0

The Pioneer cables are fine. This is the part# I came up with but will verify when I get to work later. The website is not quite as accurate as my mighty parts system. :nabble_anim_working:

BTW, is that a Summit carb you have there?

Here are the Ford part numbers. I really need to add these and the illustrations starting on Pg 1001 of the MPC to our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control. Perhaps tomorrow watching the Chiefs play.

Throttle_Cable_Adjuster_-_9C876.thumb.jpg.26213153826a63f6e15406e80044b8a8.jpg

Here's one on ebay for $31.45

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a5f67ef7e295053d9084ab098dd2af17.jpg

BTW, is that a Summit carb you have there?

Yeah, I've had that carb for almost 11 years now. It's been fantastic, so much so I bought the 500 CFM to put on my warmed over 390 in my 64 galaxie. I wish the 500 CFM was out when I bought the one for the truck, because I've ran the 600 in the picture on the 390 also and overall, like how the 500 CFM runs better. Both have been tuned to the application. I get an average of 1-2 MPG better over a 600 CFM 4150/4160 around town also on both rigs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/pioneer-inc/fuel-delivery/accelerator-cable/4cc8ef007abf/pioneer-accelerator-cable/pio0/ca8459/v/a/5318/automotive-truck-1986-ford-f-250?q=accelerator+cable&pos=0

The Pioneer cables are fine. This is the part# I came up with but will verify when I get to work later. The website is not quite as accurate as my mighty parts system. :nabble_anim_working:

Thanks for that. My original cable requires me to use an extra return spring otherwise it hangs up just above idle. I think it's had enough. I hate how stiff the gas pedal is with the extra spring.

Here are the Ford part numbers. I really need to add these and the illustrations starting on Pg 1001 of the MPC to our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control. Perhaps tomorrow watching the Chiefs play.

Here's one on ebay for $31.45

Thanks, Gary. I suppose I'll try to take my current one off as it's in good shape just didn't want to break it then be SOL not knowing if I can get a replacement.