Bullnose Forums

Front axle lock vs dry pavement/snow/mud/sand

As others have said, no trouble with locking the hubs and leaving it in 2WD except when you need 4WD. In fact, that's what a lot of newer 4WDs do anyway. My '07 Dodge doesn't have locking hubs. Neither do Jeeps. I lock my hubs if I think I might need 4WD and I unlock them when I know I won't. They might be locked for days (and if I lived in an area that got more snow, maybe for months).

Once your hubs are locked you can shift in and out of 4WD at any speed. It's best not to shift into 4WD when you are turning, but a slight curve typically isn't any issue. But when you are going straight everything is turning the same speed, so there's no need to stop to shift into 4WD. You don't want to be spinning or sliding your tires when you shift, so push in the clutch (with a manual) or shift into neutral, or at least back off the throttle with an auto. But the point is to make sure the front and rear driveshaft are turning the same speed. As long as they are you can shift in or out of 4WD.

OK, now the controversial part. When can you use 4WD? My answer to that is a lot more than what you might think from reading the visor. If the main roads are slippery I'm in 4WD. There are definitely some bare pavement spots where some people would say I ought to be in 2WD. But I don't think it's that big a deal. First of all, an empty pickup doesn't get that good traction in the rear anyway, so a little tire scrub won't be a big deal (if I'm heavily loaded I might use 2WD more in those situations). And truck axles, U-joints and driveshafts are pretty tough. A full throttle start is going to put more torque on the drive line than driving around a curve. Now if you are getting some crow-hopping, that's a different story. The load-unload shock isn't good for things. But I've never experienced that in typical driving. And if I'm turning sharp on bare pavement I will shift into 2WD.

Another controversial point - should you use 4WD on the freeway? Some people say no way, it lulls you into a false sense of security and lets you overdrive your brakes and steering. They say keep it in 2WD and only use 4WD if you get stuck. Sorry, but I think that's foolish. Do you know why it can lull you into a false sense of security? Because it's so much more stable in 4WD! Why would you choose to drive a truck that's trying to go in the ditch when you can drive a truck that wants to go where you point it? True, your brakes aren't much better in 4WD (although for trucks without anti-lock brakes they are still a little better because it's easier to not lock one or two tires). But you can steer better, and you can go straight WAY better. And being in 4WD doesn't mean you HAVE to overdrive your brakes. That's a choice you make. So use some common sense and don't.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for that lesson! Much more detailed and instructive than the sun visor!

Twenty years ago, jumping in-out the truck wasn’t an issue.

But reaching 60 in couple of months, I admit it becomes less easy, the guy is somewhat needing some lube.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Another controversial point - should you use 4WD on the freeway? Some people say no way, it lulls you into a false sense of security.

We have a joke here:

«You know the difference between driving a 4wd compared to a 2wd vehicle in winter conditions?»

«The only difference is that, in case of accident, you’ll jump farther in the field with your 4wd.»

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

We have a joke here:

«You know the difference between driving a 4wd compared to a 2wd vehicle in winter conditions?»

«The only difference is that, in case of accident, you’ll jump farther in the field with your 4wd.»

The folks in Colorado have a similar joke. "Flatlanders with 4WD are so much harder to retrieve since they get out so much farther than with 2WD before getting stuck." I was the flatlander with 2WD. But it still took two trucks with winches. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I was the flatlander with 2WD. But it still took two trucks with winches. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Lol! I’ve been there, what a bad feeling when your invincible truck is, well, really stuck, deep in the woods.

A little stress, let’s say…

:nabble_smiley_blush:

In the towing business it's always exciting when some citydiot decides because they have four wheel drive they can go as fast as they want, under all conditions.

Four-wheel drive doesn't mean you have four wheel stop....

And anti-lock brakes on black ice are just going to let you slide as far as you possibly can.

We have a joke here:

The folks in Colorado have a similar joke. "Flatlanders with 4WD are so much harder to retrieve since they get out so much farther than with 2WD before getting stuck." I was the flatlander with 2WD. But it still took two trucks with winches. :nabble_smiley_cry:

"Flatlanders"!

Haven't heard that term for awhile. Heard it a lot when I was around the logging industry!

In the towing business it's always exciting when some citydiot decides because they have four wheel drive they can go as fast as they want, under all conditions.

And anti-lock brakes on black ice are just going to let you slide as far as you possibly can.

thirty plus years ago I ventured out onto a sand bed where many jeeps and other 4wds were partying on a Friday night. I did not even have "posi". but I was young and had a lift kit and 33s. same thing right. well, the guy who finally got me out had an int. scout and he was at least the sixth to try but his pto winch saved the day. This turned into one heck of a story for sure and I'm not typing it all out, but he charged me five dollars. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. I returned a half hour later with a case of his brand as a tip and was welcome back anytime.

I've told my boys in the past: "four wheel drive isn't so much for letting you go faster in the snow, it's for getting you out of the ditch when you do".

thirty plus years ago I ventured out onto a sand bed where many jeeps and other 4wds were partying on a Friday night. I did not even have "posi". but I was young and had a lift kit and 33s. same thing right. well, the guy who finally got me out had an int. scout and he was at least the sixth to try but his pto winch saved the day. This turned into one heck of a story for sure and I'm not typing it all out, but he charged me five dollars. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. I returned a half hour later with a case of his brand as a tip and was welcome back anytime.

In high school, which was in the early 60's, a friend with a 47 Chevy sedan took another three of us onto a sandbar along the Arkansas River. He was flying when we hit the sand and that carried us a long way out there - before we were stuck. Buried to the axles.

We found boards and limbs in a big drift pile and dug out below the tires and drove onto the boards - and then got stuck at the ends of the boards. We kept this up all day, about 6' at a time, until we got off the sand. It must have taken 6 hours of steady digging, driving, digging, driving, etc.

If we'd had 4wd I'm convinced we'd have been a whole lot farther before getting stuck. On the other hand, if we'd aired down a bit we might have gotten out sooner. Live and learn. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I've told my boys in the past: "four wheel drive isn't so much for letting you go faster in the snow, it's for getting you out of the ditch when you do".

Back to actual advice, it's also for letting you drive the same speed you SHOULD drive in 2WD in the snow, but with a much better chance of staying out of the ditch.

Back to actual advice, it's also for letting you drive the same speed you SHOULD drive in 2WD in the snow, but with a much better chance of staying out of the ditch.

This is true, but that's not meant to be "advice". Here in Oklahoma, every ding dong with a lifted 4x4 seems to think it's OK to drive 75 on snow packed highways. The only thing their 4x4 is going to be good for is getting them out of the ditch - if they aren't too far in and too buried. I've had very little trouble in a Ford Focus; front wheel drive is pretty capable unless the snow is just too deep.

I typically don't use 4x4 unless I think I REALLY need it. I try to use 2WD until it's obvious that I can't, or that I'm coming up on a situation where it's likely to be needed.