Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's HVAC Blower Issues

Thanks, Jim. I'm blown away with the number of listings they have. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I found the ones shown at the bottom of the post and got excited as they are supposedly 50A versions and don't appear to have the larger terminal typical of those relays. But then I Googled "0 332 019 103" and found this listing on Amazon which says it is a 30A relay. However, we know that Amazon frequently has incorrect descriptions, so I found this Bosch relay catalog and, sure enough, that is a 30A relay - with a mounting tab no less.

However, the Bosch catalog shows a 0 332 019 109 and says it is a 50A relay. But Pelican Parts carries that relay and their picture clearly shows the part number and that it is rated at 30A. What am I missing? :nabble_smiley_cry: :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'm sorry, I don't know.

I know they have a huge selection, and this is where I got my silver contact starter relay.... back when I actually use the fender relay.

They also have a wide selection of battery isolators and all the industrial Cole-Hersee and White-Rodgers controls

You should really have a look at their whole catalog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I don't know.

I know they have a huge selection, and this is where I got my silver contact starter relay.... back when I actually use the fender relay.

They also have a wide selection of battery isolators and all the industrial Cole-Hersee and White-Rodgers controls

You should really have a look at their whole catalog

Yes, I do see that they have a very wide range of products. They even have the Cole-Hersee 48530 battery isolator that I'm using on Big Blue. And other products I've never even heard of. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, they may well be right about the Bosch 0 332 019 103 relay being a 50A unit, in spite of what this "Bosch catalog" says. I'd forgotten that we have a Bosch catalog on the site (Documentation/Electrical/Relays & the Bosch Relays tab), and that catalog says that the 0 332 019 103 is indeed a 50A unit, as you can see below.

And that page shows the contact voltage drop, both new and "after life", whatever that is. At 12V & 10A those are .05v and .08v respectively. In fact, if you were to scroll on down in that catalog you'd find that the 30A & 40A-rated standard relays have the same voltage drop specs at 10A.

So I must be doing something wrong in my testing since I'm seeing .3 to .7V drop, which is about 10 times more. I guess my wiring might make up part of that, but I wouldn't think it would account for all of it - especially on the relays that had more drop.

Given that I'm trying to come up with better testing approaches and would welcome input. For instance, I've been pulling the relays in and then applying the load. Maybe I need to make the relay switch the load?

Thoughts?

Bosch_0_332_019_103_Relay_-_Full_Page.thumb.jpg.02b522aab86c9a842bd6205d7f4162ab.jpg

Looks pretty good. FYI, if the L, M1 & M2 seem a little slow still, check the ground side for voltage drop. Whoever Ford had designing the wiring for these must have been hired from Ford of Great Britain, only thing missing is this:

Bill, where did you find that? That's one of the funniest things ive ever seen! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Sadly it's true.

Bill, where did you find that? That's one of the funniest things ive ever seen! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Sadly it's true.

#1 rule of any kind of electronics.

Don't let the smoke out! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

This valuable Lucas product is very rare today, but back in the days of Leland, Healey, Triumph/BSA/Norton it was a shop essential.

#1 rule of any kind of electronics.

Don't let the smoke out! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

This valuable Lucas product is very rare today, but back in the days of Leland, Healey, Triumph/BSA/Norton it was a shop essential.

Yes, it is true. Been there and done that. But have now run out of refills.

But back on the relay quest, I'm quite confused. I've found lots of people selling the Bosch 0-332-019-103 relay, which Bosch's catalog says is a 50 amp unit, but some list it at 50A, some at 40A, and some at 30A. And yet, when a picture is provided it is the same relay.

All I can think is that the people that created the listings either don't know what they are doing or looked at the Bosch catalog and saw that the thing is rated for a different number of cycles depending on the current being handled and used the one they thought best.

So I'm thinking of ordering some in today, which is why I asked Copilot to find the best prices on it. But Copilot doesn't seem to know how to account for shipping, so where it found the relay for $5, at Pelican, the shipping is $5 and it'll be here in a few days. Or I could pay $6 for the relay and $13 for shipping at CarParts.com and it'll be here some time next week. But Copilot didn't list Amazon, which has the relay for $10/ea and free shipping - and it'll be here today.

As for Texas Industrial it won't let me order that relay. There's no link to add it to the cart nor a buy-now. It says "Please Specify if you need 12-10 ga Terminals", which I don't understand.

May call Texas and see.

Yes, it is true. Been there and done that. But have now run out of refills.

But back on the relay quest, I'm quite confused. I've found lots of people selling the Bosch 0-332-019-103 relay, which Bosch's catalog says is a 50 amp unit, but some list it at 50A, some at 40A, and some at 30A. And yet, when a picture is provided it is the same relay.

All I can think is that the people that created the listings either don't know what they are doing or looked at the Bosch catalog and saw that the thing is rated for a different number of cycles depending on the current being handled and used the one they thought best.

So I'm thinking of ordering some in today, which is why I asked Copilot to find the best prices on it. But Copilot doesn't seem to know how to account for shipping, so where it found the relay for $5, at Pelican, the shipping is $5 and it'll be here in a few days. Or I could pay $6 for the relay and $13 for shipping at CarParts.com and it'll be here some time next week. But Copilot didn't list Amazon, which has the relay for $10/ea and free shipping - and it'll be here today.

As for Texas Industrial it won't let me order that relay. There's no link to add it to the cart nor a buy-now. It says "Please Specify if you need 12-10 ga Terminals", which I don't understand.

May call Texas and see.

10 ga. terminals are the wider ones you don't like (but they're rated for 40A)

TIE offers the same exact relay with smaller spades, which is probably what you're finding on Amazon... or whatever.

10 ga. terminals are the wider ones you don't like (but they're rated for 40A)

TIE offers the same exact relay with smaller spades, which is probably what you're finding on Amazon... or whatever.

Thanks, Jim. That makes sense. I sure don't want the larger terminals. But it is interesting that I don't see different terminal sizes in the Bosch catalog. :nabble_anim_confused:

Which gets me back to my testing methodology. Perhaps it isn't the relay that has the voltage drop but the terminals or wiring in the PDB. So I'm planning on making up some jumpers today to test the relays outside of the PDB. Then I can measure the voltage drop of each device/connection.

Thanks, Jim. That makes sense. I sure don't want the larger terminals. But it is interesting that I don't see different terminal sizes in the Bosch catalog. :nabble_anim_confused:

Which gets me back to my testing methodology. Perhaps it isn't the relay that has the voltage drop but the terminals or wiring in the PDB. So I'm planning on making up some jumpers today to test the relays outside of the PDB. Then I can measure the voltage drop of each device/connection.

Called TIE and talked to Steve. Told him I'm interested in the Bosch 0 332 019 103 but don't understand the bit about their request to "Please Specify if you need 12-10 ga terminals". He said that all of those relays come with the same standard-sized terminals. But that the majority of existing equipment out there has terminals that are only good for 28 - 30 amps. So if you are going to use the full 50A capability of the relay you'll need a socket they have which has much better terminals.

Then I asked how to order 'cause I don't see a way to do it. He said that's their plan - you order from him, which has resulted in essentially zero returns over the years. So I ordered two of those relays. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now I'm working on a way to test relays in the blower circuit and see where I'm dropping voltage...

Called TIE and talked to Steve. Told him I'm interested in the Bosch 0 332 019 103 but don't understand the bit about their request to "Please Specify if you need 12-10 ga terminals". He said that all of those relays come with the same standard-sized terminals. But that the majority of existing equipment out there has terminals that are only good for 28 - 30 amps. So if you are going to use the full 50A capability of the relay you'll need a socket they have which has much better terminals.

Then I asked how to order 'cause I don't see a way to do it. He said that's their plan - you order from him, which has resulted in essentially zero returns over the years. So I ordered two of those relays. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now I'm working on a way to test relays in the blower circuit and see where I'm dropping voltage...

I think we need another player in the vendors reviews.

They're obviously doing it right and care that their customers get the right part(s) the first time! :nabble_anim_claps:

I think we need another player in the vendors reviews.

They're obviously doing it right and care that their customers get the right part(s) the first time! :nabble_anim_claps:

Good plan, Stan. Go see what you think, and vote: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Texas-Industrial-Electric-Company-td144903.html (Not sure who's already voted. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

As for what I did, I did a bit of playing with jumpers and tested the Motorcraft relay in the PDB. Now, with better jumpers, I have the voltage drop down to .25 instead of the .31 to .35 previously reported. So the jumpers and connectors are critical in measuring this.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a setup where I can test the relays themselves and see if I can tell where the voltage drop is coming from.