Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's HVAC Blower Issues

No

It would be entirely separate from any schematic.

Just a page by itself with graphic proportional representation of the PDC and a legend at the side/bottom defining each component

Just like my Ford fuse box cover.

Is this what you have in mind? It is what is in the EFI/driver's side PDB. I took a pic of the PDB and drew it up on CAD. And this is exactly what I need to do on the passenger's side PDB.

EFI_PDB_Insert.thumb.jpg.f4f2e5f9dfb3a3e384f1f496907ad6b0.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this what you have in mind? It is what is in the EFI/driver's side PDB. I took a pic of the PDB and drew it up on CAD. And this is exactly what I need to do on the passenger's side PDB.

What does the inside of an 80-86 fuse box cover look like?

What does the inside of an 80-86 fuse box cover look like?

There's nothing on the inside of the cover, but there is on the outside. Here's what the cover from Dad's truck looks like:

Dads_Fuse_Box_Cover.thumb.jpg.e1c9e2c691287d54cb85336b2805ba2a.jpg

And here's what the cover on Big Blue looks like, and then there's a sheet in the documentation in the truck that shows which fuse serves what function and its current rating. But it would be a lot better if I were to put the ratings and usage on the fuse box cover also.

Big_Blues_Fuse_Box_Cover.thumb.jpg.f0be0f9858b04037a2bdfe998a46f718.jpgFuse_Ratings__Uses_-_Final.jpg.9051aa1bf686188a1a007cb28af1ac12.jpg

There's nothing on the inside of the cover, but there is on the outside. Here's what the cover from Dad's truck looks like:

And here's what the cover on Big Blue looks like, and then there's a sheet in the documentation in the truck that shows which fuse serves what function and its current rating. But it would be a lot better if I were to put the ratings and usage on the fuse box cover also.

Here's what the cover of my '87 looks like.

IMG_20240120_134321_MP.jpg.a55b50a963826a2503a68de14afc8baa.jpg

Here's what the cover of my '87 looks like.

Obviously they hired someone with some reason. That's a much-improved cover. :nabble_smiley_good:

Now for some strange news. I've been using my DVMs to test voltages to the blower ground relay, the one that was obviously not working properly when I started this quest.

The schematic is below and here are the results of my testing on each pin of the relay:

• 85: Gets key-on power, as planned

• 30: It has a great ground

• 87: Goes to the blower motor as expected. However it does have ~2 ohms resistance to ground with the relay out, which is what I measure on another resistor pack I have, so this must be correct.

• 86: This has from 2 to 6 ohms of resistance to ground depending on how you push on the handle of the blower speed switch. So obviously the switch itself is suspect, although that won't matter with the relay working as it'll be good enough to pull the relay in. HOWEVER, when I closed the door and the dome lights, all LED, went off the resistance dropped to .9 ohm from 2.2 ohms. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So I'm :nabble_anim_confused: trying to think through what would cause the reading to change that much. I'm thinking that it is a voltage differential between the ground in the cab, G701, and the ground at the battery, which is where my DVM was connected. But I cannot detect the difference, and my meters read to .001v. Having said that, it doesn't take much change in resistance testing to make a big difference.

Maybe that's a red herring and I should stick to the ground relay issue. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Blower_Gnd__Key_On_Relays.thumb.jpg.d44f58282d9a68fc7b180d0629561d4b.jpg

Obviously they hired someone with some reason. That's a much-improved cover. :nabble_smiley_good:

Now for some strange news. I've been using my DVMs to test voltages to the blower ground relay, the one that was obviously not working properly when I started this quest.

The schematic is below and here are the results of my testing on each pin of the relay:

• 85: Gets key-on power, as planned

• 30: It has a great ground

• 87: Goes to the blower motor as expected. However it does have ~2 ohms resistance to ground with the relay out, which is what I measure on another resistor pack I have, so this must be correct.

• 86: This has from 2 to 6 ohms of resistance to ground depending on how you push on the handle of the blower speed switch. So obviously the switch itself is suspect, although that won't matter with the relay working as it'll be good enough to pull the relay in. HOWEVER, when I closed the door and the dome lights, all LED, went off the resistance dropped to .9 ohm from 2.2 ohms. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So I'm :nabble_anim_confused: trying to think through what would cause the reading to change that much. I'm thinking that it is a voltage differential between the ground in the cab, G701, and the ground at the battery, which is where my DVM was connected. But I cannot detect the difference, and my meters read to .001v. Having said that, it doesn't take much change in resistance testing to make a big difference.

Maybe that's a red herring and I should stick to the ground relay issue. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

More testing shows that with the blower ground relay working properly I have another conundrum - I'm getting different voltage drops across different relays when the blower is on high:

• Motorcraft: Tried two different ones and I get .31 to .35 volt

• Hella: Have one of these and I tested it several times - and got .70 to .73v

• Tyco: Have several of these and got .37 - .38 volt drop consistently

• ?: I have two relays with no names on them, and I got .40 - .42 volt drop across them

Looks like I'll use Motorcraft relays. :nabble_smiley_good:

Next up is the blower power relay. But that may not be for a couple of days. Lots of church activities, as well as the Chief's game, tomorrow. Maybe Monday, although I have a Medicare "wellness" checkup that morning. But the forecast says we are going to have moisture and the temp will be right at 32, so the prognostications vary regarding the solidity of the moisture when it comes down.

More testing shows that with the blower ground relay working properly I have another conundrum - I'm getting different voltage drops across different relays when the blower is on high:

• Motorcraft: Tried two different ones and I get .31 to .35 volt

• Hella: Have one of these and I tested it several times - and got .70 to .73v

• Tyco: Have several of these and got .37 - .38 volt drop consistently

• ?: I have two relays with no names on them, and I got .40 - .42 volt drop across them

Looks like I'll use Motorcraft relays. :nabble_smiley_good:

Next up is the blower power relay. But that may not be for a couple of days. Lots of church activities, as well as the Chief's game, tomorrow. Maybe Monday, although I have a Medicare "wellness" checkup that morning. But the forecast says we are going to have moisture and the temp will be right at 32, so the prognostications vary regarding the solidity of the moisture when it comes down.

How many different relays would you like for testing?

Have a look at the massive relay selection from Texas Industrial Electric

https://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp

Thanks, Jim. I'm blown away with the number of listings they have. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I found the ones shown at the bottom of the post and got excited as they are supposedly 50A versions and don't appear to have the larger terminal typical of those relays. But then I Googled "0 332 019 103" and found this listing on Amazon which says it is a 30A relay. However, we know that Amazon frequently has incorrect descriptions, so I found this Bosch relay catalog and, sure enough, that is a 30A relay - with a mounting tab no less.

However, the Bosch catalog shows a 0 332 019 109 and says it is a 50A relay. But Pelican Parts carries that relay and their picture clearly shows the part number and that it is rated at 30A. What am I missing? :nabble_smiley_cry: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Bosch_0_332_019_109_Relay.jpg.84af32ba23f9a58b52049e15dace956f.jpg

Texas_Industrial_Electric_Bosch_Relays.thumb.jpg.2dfad9440219629f01abad1ed415f93e.jpg