Bullnose Forums

Vibration with hubs locked

Years ago I met and 'wheeled with a guy who had a '70s vintage Toyota Land Cruiser. He was really excited because he had just installed a kit that swapped single Cardan joints in to replace the factory CV joints in his front axle!

Those things had the really weird big ball joint front axle???

• 3 weeks later...

When you turn the wheels the universal at the hub is necessarily going to be at a more acute angle than the fixed angle between the center case and the control arm or beam

First off, thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. Today was the first time I was able to get the truck on a lift so I could put it in gear and let the wheels turn.

I'm going to be honest, I poo-poo-ed the U-joint problem because I had already checked everything thing in the drive train and the suspension for play. There was none, so I moved on trying to find a different solution. However, getting the truck on a lift taught me that the front drive shaft is like a giant wind chime - any noise connected to it amplifies the noise and makes it hard to track down. Out of frustration, I removed the drive shaft and made a discovery that I'm sure all of you will laugh at, but was a first time for me.

Bad u-joints don't always have play in them. Sometime they just seize. That's what mine did.

Replaced, and running fine.

Maybe next time I'll listen a little better. Thanks again!

First off, thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. Today was the first time I was able to get the truck on a lift so I could put it in gear and let the wheels turn.

I'm going to be honest, I poo-poo-ed the U-joint problem because I had already checked everything thing in the drive train and the suspension for play. There was none, so I moved on trying to find a different solution. However, getting the truck on a lift taught me that the front drive shaft is like a giant wind chime - any noise connected to it amplifies the noise and makes it hard to track down. Out of frustration, I removed the drive shaft and made a discovery that I'm sure all of you will laugh at, but was a first time for me.

Bad u-joints don't always have play in them. Sometime they just seize. That's what mine did.

glad that you found it. and yes, u joints can fail in many ways. most often from neglect. did you install greaseable units so service can be done?

Congratulations! :nabble_anim_claps:

I'm glad you found the problem. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I've been driving with only the front since my knee recovered enough to work the clutch.

Those front axles will definitely bind up on dry(ish) pavement while turning.

I'm glad you found the problem. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I've been driving with only the front since my knee recovered enough to work the clutch.

Those front axles will definitely bind up on dry(ish) pavement while turning.

Yes sir, I now have grease fittings! I will also continue my lifetime streak of never driving on pavement in 4WD.