Bullnose Forums

Factory Locking Hubs

The photo would help I guess. Thanks, I've added it.

The lettering on the hub part appears to me to be Ford OEM.

Others may have an opinion...

Unfortunately I don't believe Ford ever sold the lock dials (handles?) separately.

Gary made a post about this not long ago.

The lettering on the hub part appears to me to be Ford OEM.

Others may have an opinion...

Unfortunately I don't believe Ford ever sold the lock dials (handles?) separately.

Gary made a post about this not long ago.

I agree, Jim. That looks factory to me.

And you are right, they didn't sell the knob separately. Here's the illustration and you can see that 1K104 is the base part number for a whole bunch of parts, including the knob. And there's no number for the knob itself.

Front_Locking_Hub_Illustration.thumb.jpg.378981650b06f4bb6b69c1f78bdc534a.jpg

And you are right, they didn't sell the knob separately. Here's the illustration and you can see that 1K104 is the base part number for a whole bunch of parts, including the knob. And there's no number for the knob itself.

Long ago Superwinch (with the blue plastic centers) were the closest to stock I could find.

Now the choice is basically Warn or Mile Marker. Both have Regular and Premium lines....

When my SW passenger side kept locking on its own I went with Warn Premiums.

The 7/8 turn is a bit of a hassle but I haven't had a problem

Edit to ask: Gary have you ever used Billet 4x4 in Tulsa?

Long ago Superwinch (with the blue plastic centers) were the closest to stock I could find.

Now the choice is basically Warn or Mile Marker. Both have Regular and Premium lines....

When my SW passenger side kept locking on its own I went with Warn Premiums.

The 7/8 turn is a bit of a hassle but I haven't had a problem

Edit to ask: Gary have you ever used Billet 4x4 in Tulsa?

I like the 7/8 turn. One set I had took something like 1/4 turn and they were hard to engage. These are easy.

I agree too, looks identical to Big Bro's ones, which are factory.

I like the 7/8 turn. One set I had took something like 1/4 turn and they were hard to engage. These are easy.

(I started writing this yesterday evening, but got pulled away. Much of it was said by Jim and Gary since then, but not everything, so I'm repeating them a bit. But...)

The Ford OEM hubs were made by Warn. Unfortunately Warn doesn't sell that model anymore. They have their Standard hubs with a black plastic handle with 1/4 turn to lock and their Premium hubs with a brass metal handle and 7/8 turn to lock. (The Ford OEM Warn hubs had a red plastic dial with 7/8 turn to lock.)

I've had several sets of Warn Premiums, and will likely get them again. The two down-sides I've found to them is that they're expensive and they aren't the easiest to turn. It's not that they are THAT hard to turn, but the "handle" on the dial isn't very big and it can be hard to get a good enough grip on it to turn it, especially if you are wearing gloves, or if you've smashed the hub into a few rocks so it jams up a bit (but in that "hypothetical" situation the hubs on my Bronco still function fine, they're just a little harder to turn).

I've had one set of Warn Standard hubs and won't ever buy another. They were easy to grip and turn, even when wearing mittens. But there's a spring in them that biases them to the one position and a detent that holds it in the other. Hopefully. In the pair I had one would spring back to the "default" position. Right now I don't recall with certainty if the spring held it in the "free" or "locked" position. I THINK it was locked, which would make it a smaller problem than if it came unlocked aoutomatically. But still not something I wanted to fight.

Superwinch, Mile Marker and Yukon also make hubs. I don't know much about any of them, but I tend to think of Superwinch and Mile Marker as making "almost as good" parts for a lot less money than the top competition, and I tend to think of Yukon as making "a little better" parts for more money than the competition. But those are just my "tendencies", so take them for what little they're worth.

(I started writing this yesterday evening, but got pulled away. Much of it was said by Jim and Gary since then, but not everything, so I'm repeating them a bit. But...)

The Ford OEM hubs were made by Warn. Unfortunately Warn doesn't sell that model anymore. They have their Standard hubs with a black plastic handle with 1/4 turn to lock and their Premium hubs with a brass metal handle and 7/8 turn to lock. (The Ford OEM Warn hubs had a red plastic dial with 7/8 turn to lock.)

I've had several sets of Warn Premiums, and will likely get them again. The two down-sides I've found to them is that they're expensive and they aren't the easiest to turn. It's not that they are THAT hard to turn, but the "handle" on the dial isn't very big and it can be hard to get a good enough grip on it to turn it, especially if you are wearing gloves, or if you've smashed the hub into a few rocks so it jams up a bit (but in that "hypothetical" situation the hubs on my Bronco still function fine, they're just a little harder to turn).

I've had one set of Warn Standard hubs and won't ever buy another. They were easy to grip and turn, even when wearing mittens. But there's a spring in them that biases them to the one position and a detent that holds it in the other. Hopefully. In the pair I had one would spring back to the "default" position. Right now I don't recall with certainty if the spring held it in the "free" or "locked" position. I THINK it was locked, which would make it a smaller problem than if it came unlocked aoutomatically. But still not something I wanted to fight.

Superwinch, Mile Marker and Yukon also make hubs. I don't know much about any of them, but I tend to think of Superwinch and Mile Marker as making "almost as good" parts for a lot less money than the top competition, and I tend to think of Yukon as making "a little better" parts for more money than the competition. But those are just my "tendencies", so take them for what little they're worth.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!!