Bullnose Forums

Best oil for AOD

dextron 2 is a specific type of hydraulic transmission fluid. most brands will have this type. most commonly used in 70,80 and 90s era gm cars and trucks. ford followed suit and labled it as mercon 3. if you find fluid marked dex/merc you are fine.

I understand API & NLGI specs, but that still doesn't address the question (that he clarified)

I'm out...

I don't know, not having had an AOD since we sold the 1990 Lincoln Town Car. One thing might be of interest, Chrysler released a new fluid a couple of years ago, they now recommend it for any transmission where type A or Dexron was specified. It is sold as ATF + 4 and was developed for the A604/41TE transaxles as they (a) have no pressure adjustment for load as virtually all others do (the latest iteration does have an EPC solenoid) and (b) have a tendency to burn up, particularly the converter clutch.

It is a synthetic like Dexron/Mercon but has friction additives like type F. I did fill T2K-CAR's transaxle with it.

this is interesting as I have not cross referenced /studied it. the atf+4 I have used but only in jeeps. I did a few 45rle a few years back. no mas! as to how it compares to dex/merc I do not know but I will read up. I have not needed to, but I find it interesting a little now. it is amazing how many products are out there to do practically the same thing. I read content labels more now than ever. I know contents may vary but .....

Do you have a favorite flavor of fill for your AOD's Mat?

I'm running Valvoline Maxlife in my AOD:

https://shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/multi-vehicle-atf-full-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid

Dex-Merc compatible while still a full synthetic and readily available in bulk at the local Wally World. Never had any issues since the change. I did the full change (drain pan, swap filter, and drain TC via the flexplate hole).

If the transmission dipstick says Dexron II like my C6 dipstick does, then Dex/Merc of any reputable brand will work fine. Nobody actually makes Dexron II or III anymore as it's long out of license. Dexron VI is the replacement just like the original Mercon is superseded by Mercon V or even Mercon LV possibly now. I have a 4R70W in my 99 grand marquis, which is an electronic AOD. It calls for Mercon V. I've used NAPA Dex/Merc in my truck, Supertech Mercon V in the grand marquis, Supertech Type F in another C6 and a FX cruise o matic, they all work and shift great. Mercon V is supposed to be fully backwards compatible to Mercon and Dex/Merc, might be a good option otherwise Dex/Merc it is.