Bullnose Forums

Best oil for AOD

timing is funny.

I just disassembled an aod last night to start another build and I would damn near guarantee the last owner put oil in it. now listen closely. do not put oil in it! I know this and I know all here know this too but I'm pretty sure someone just made this mistake and it's probably why I got the truck so cheap. I am only being specific in case someone is reading along trying to gain info without asking directly. transmission fluid. dextron 2 was the original type but ford calls it mercon.

timing is funny.

I just disassembled an aod last night to start another build and I would damn near guarantee the last owner put oil in it. now listen closely. do not put oil in it! I know this and I know all here know this too but I'm pretty sure someone just made this mistake and it's probably why I got the truck so cheap. I am only being specific in case someone is reading along trying to gain info without asking directly. transmission fluid. dextron 2 was the original type but ford calls it mercon.

My thread ask what brand

I stated the type

Sorry to split hairs oil/fluid

My mistake

My thread ask what brand

I stated the type

Sorry to split hairs oil/fluid

My mistake

Your title says "Best oil for AOD"

Mat is correct.

Oil is not good for your AOD.

I use ATF in my gearbox but don't have friction bands so it's not really comparable.

I usually go with Valvoline (brand) synthetic.

Your title says "Best oil for AOD"

Mat is correct.

Oil is not good for your AOD.

I use ATF in my gearbox but don't have friction bands so it's not really comparable.

I usually go with Valvoline (brand) synthetic.

I don't know, not having had an AOD since we sold the 1990 Lincoln Town Car. One thing might be of interest, Chrysler released a new fluid a couple of years ago, they now recommend it for any transmission where type A or Dexron was specified. It is sold as ATF + 4 and was developed for the A604/41TE transaxles as they (a) have no pressure adjustment for load as virtually all others do (the latest iteration does have an EPC solenoid) and (b) have a tendency to burn up, particularly the converter clutch.

It is a synthetic like Dexron/Mercon but has friction additives like type F. I did fill T2K-CAR's transaxle with it.

Do you have a favorite flavor of fill for your AOD's Mat?

I generally use dextron 2. brands change. I do improvements with builds though. from subtle to near harsh depending on the ask or intent. one of the weaknesses of the aod was more about when it was designed. it was a different time. power was Not being promoted and wasn't really expected. 55 mph speed limits, memory of fuel rationing etc. to have a small v8 turning 1500 rpm at nearly no throttle sounds like a real fuel saving plan. if only it worked. having low expectations, they designed in a pressure reduction to make less resistance at the pump. these days where the average minivan gives far better performance, we are sometimes disappointed when we get in our old trucks. I prefer to hotrod a little. however, in keeping an old aod in shape. fluid and filter are important but the big one is tv adjustment. there are a few ways promoted for keeping it adjusted but the only true method is to use a pressure guage on the tv tap at the rearward passenger side. pressure should be between 0-5 psi at idle. too low and power hits the clutches before they are held firm and subsequently slip. too high and shift becomes harsh, downshifts early, and od hold is more erratic. never attempt to drive with a broken or disconnected cable

I generally use dextron 2. brands change. I do improvements with builds though. from subtle to near harsh depending on the ask or intent. one of the weaknesses of the aod was more about when it was designed. it was a different time. power was Not being promoted and wasn't really expected. 55 mph speed limits, memory of fuel rationing etc. to have a small v8 turning 1500 rpm at nearly no throttle sounds like a real fuel saving plan. if only it worked. having low expectations, they designed in a pressure reduction to make less resistance at the pump. these days where the average minivan gives far better performance, we are sometimes disappointed when we get in our old trucks. I prefer to hotrod a little. however, in keeping an old aod in shape. fluid and filter are important but the big one is tv adjustment. there are a few ways promoted for keeping it adjusted but the only true method is to use a pressure guage on the tv tap at the rearward passenger side. pressure should be between 0-5 psi at idle. too low and power hits the clutches before they are held firm and subsequently slip. too high and shift becomes harsh, downshifts early, and od hold is more erratic. never attempt to drive with a broken or disconnected cable

So "dextron 2" is a brand or manufacturer, rather than a spec?? :nabble_anim_confused:

This is an interesting fact that I never knew

Appreciate the insight and clarification. :nabble_smiley_good:

So "dextron 2" is a brand or manufacturer, rather than a spec?? :nabble_anim_confused:

This is an interesting fact that I never knew

Appreciate the insight and clarification. :nabble_smiley_good:

dextron 2 is a specific type of hydraulic transmission fluid. most brands will have this type. most commonly used in 70,80 and 90s era gm cars and trucks. ford followed suit and labled it as mercon 3. if you find fluid marked dex/merc you are fine.