Bullnose Forums

1985 TFI IV on 4.9 and conversion to single wire HEI distributor

Hi guys, TFI IV on 1985 inline 6 automatic converted to HEI update from Don:

worked some 15-20 hours w no spark confirmed. the ECC replaced the relay next to computer that powers the vacuum solenoids, one in car buzzed like key warning buzzer, then measured TFI distributor and inner Hall effect wires and volt age was low, replaced w Cardone new distributor Rock Auto as was relay. then ran OK except opening SPOUT connector did not retard to base timing, and the coil read higher resistance, so coil and EEC Computer were bought, then good, SPOUT was at 6 degrees sighting all by eye. spark then advanced to 10 at idle. truck then lost spark again after 8-10 minute, running flawlessly before that from cold. if sat for 2 minutes, a cool off would have engine restart, yet pre-warmed spark disappeared in 1-2 minutes. Pin checked grounds for ECC and examined wire harness and ordered new TFI module ( 6 wire ) for distributor thinking new cardone dist module may be cause. No, it still stalled at 8-10 minute point.

so HEI distributor secured and fitted and timed and the 1985 150 runs for hours now and 200 miles.

I have many new parts now that were installed, but not returnable, new TFI dist, second new TFI module, new Coil, new computer plugged in for 15-20 minutes. make a heck of a deal if anyone interested. email or text 919 451 6812

HEI Install notes : I found power wire near brake booster for relay, this is running through the ign switch, and w key on measured 11.97 V, gosh knows what this volt lowers to under cranking. so I got single wire light bar relay and wire kit. the regular power to light bar I switched 87 and 30 terminals at relay connector and there was a 40 AMP inline relay. to trigger relay I now use just that ign switch power from booster area. now with Key on, the "open voltage " ( not connected to HEI dist ) is 12.5 V, and essentially this wire setup replicated the OEM starter solenoid bypass voltage circuitry that went to TFI module to help module have higher voltage during cranking. Kit: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-10014W.

verified that new HEI did accept cap, rotor, coil, and hall sensor from 1967 Chevy Camero inline 6 model

parts.

OMGosh also put in column ignition switch, and for fun, the captive nut that accepts the 2 nuts that hold down the ignition switch broke off. broke off the column tube. I devised a fix for this occurrence with out welding a new stud on. describe would take page more to write up. Fordland fun, did I get my share. Don

Good to hear you got it running

When I started reading about buying the not needed parts I was like NNNNOOOO!

Sorry to see you spent time and money on parts we knew would not work.

So you are still running the feed back carb?

You should be able to start pulling the feed back computer and wiring from the truck if you have not as it is not doing anything with part of the system missing.

As said start from the inside. Unplug computer, push plug thru firewall and work the wires from there.

Only wire I know of that is tied into the feed back harness is a wire to the oil psi wire.

Dave ----