Bullnose Forums

Steering column nonsense

You can pull the tumbler and lubricate through its opening. The factory shop manual instructions are on the (oddly enough) Instructions tab on the page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns.

I like PTFE dry lube.

Yes, it leaves a chalky white mess.

But it slides smooth and doesn't attract dust, lint and grit becoming grinding paste.

Does anyone know if there's a way to lubricate the lock cylinder and actuator in a non-tilt without disassembling the whole thing?

I tried to avoid "deeper fix" by lubricating from the key hole, but without good results.

Finally, I decided to pull the steering wheel and see what was going on.

The major issue was the actuator.

Not a difficult job, just need a puller for the wheel. No need to disassemble the actuator, you can lubricate it by the end (protect your carpet since some lubricant will drip along the column).

Take a look here.

Does anyone know if there's a way to lubricate the lock cylinder and actuator in a non-tilt without disassembling the whole thing?

I tried to avoid "deeper fix" by lubricating from the key hole, but without good results.

Finally, I decided to pull the steering wheel and see what was going on.

The major issue was the actuator.

Not a difficult job, just need a puller for the wheel. No need to disassemble the actuator, you can lubricate it by the end (protect your carpet since some lubricant will drip along the column).

Take a look here.

Thanks for the help guys. Got it lubed and it works great. Now I just have to get the column in.:nabble_smiley_argh: