Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

The correct air filter should have a heat duct and vacuum motor. The sensor is inside the air cleaner. Thermal vacuum valves, used to be virtually everyone had them. I had a bunch of them, but I am afraid they didn't follow me to the Eastern Shore.

On your flooding issue, you say you have the EGR spacer, how thick is the gasket under the carburetor? Second, heat riser valve, is it working? If not is it stuck in the heat position?

Only flooding hot sounds like you may be boiling the fuel in the carburetor.

There's good reason manufacturers went to the trouble and expense of engineering and equipping vehicles with these systems.

It's the only way they could get a carbureted engine to deliver consistent mixtures.

And even if you don't have or want to meet federal emissions standards, having a stable A:F is key to smooth operation.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct air filter should have a heat duct and vacuum motor. The sensor is inside the air cleaner. Thermal vacuum valves, used to be virtually everyone had them. I had a bunch of them, but I am afraid they didn't follow me to the Eastern Shore.

On your flooding issue, you say you have the EGR spacer, how thick is the gasket under the carburetor? Second, heat riser valve, is it working? If not is it stuck in the heat position?

Only flooding hot sounds like you may be boiling the fuel in the carburetor.

Bill, I have 2- 1/4” gaskets under carb. Gas runs out until you shut engine off. I believe that’s beyond boiling over. I’m having another pair of eyes look at carb. The exhaust manifold and heat riser valve is new. I will have to remove heat shield to check it. On my checklist. The sensor and vacuum motor needs to be checked also. Thanks for your help Bill. CJ

There's good reason manufacturers went to the trouble and expense of engineering and equipping vehicles with these systems.

It's the only way they could get a carbureted engine to deliver consistent mixtures.

And even if you don't have or want to meet federal emissions standards, having a stable A:F is key to smooth operation.

You’re preaching to the choir Jim, I believe the same. I’m just trying to work with what I have. CJ

You’re preaching to the choir Jim, I believe the same. I’m just trying to work with what I have. CJ

Not any criticism intended.

To think how many air cleaners were tossed in the trash for a 'performance' tin lid with 'improved airflow' back then.

Not any criticism intended.

To think how many air cleaners were tossed in the trash for a 'performance' tin lid with 'improved airflow' back then.

Didn’t take it that way Jim. I have the original air cleaner, just need to make sure all parts work and a source if they don’t. I welcome your comments. Thanks CJ

Didn’t take it that way Jim. I have the original air cleaner, just need to make sure all parts work and a source if they don’t. I welcome your comments. Thanks CJ

It's always a concern. Especially over the Internet when there is no inflection or nuance.

As someone who only thinks in facts and has no filter I can easily offend people without even trying (the joys of being an aspie:nabble_smiley_teeth:)

The vacuum motor for the flap and thermal switch (CWM) are much easier to find by their Motorcraft numbers than by the Ford P/N.

Let's see if we can get your proper parts diagram and listing from the MPC. CJ.

It's always a concern. Especially over the Internet when there is no inflection or nuance.

As someone who only thinks in facts and has no filter I can easily offend people without even trying (the joys of being an aspie:nabble_smiley_teeth:)

The vacuum motor for the flap and thermal switch (CWM) are much easier to find by their Motorcraft numbers than by the Ford P/N.

I think what you are looking for is on the page at Documentation/Fuel & Air Systems/Air Cleaners.

No offense taken Jim. What use to be an Honest answer is now called “ In your face”. SAD… My wife claims I have no filter, so that makes us somewhat alike. Thanks again for your help. CJ