Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

Thanks Jim, Gary I bought a rebuilt carb and it would not work. They shipped me another one. About 50 miles later, it flooded over. Bought a Chinese carb, worked great fr about 4 months and flooded over. Removed and installed the 1/4” gasket (2) between carb and EGR. It just flooded over again. Installed a new NAPA fuel pump, it has 7 psi, w hitch is the max psi for this engine. Any ideas? CJ

I think something is getting overlooked. first off, the last two carbs worked, then they didn't. what changed? if each carb was compatible with the fuel pressure at any point and also for a length of time then we should expect compatibility. I start with filter. then float level. the gaskets will reduce heat absorption and control manifold vacuum leaks, but I doubt that's the issue here.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something is getting overlooked. first off, the last two carbs worked, then they didn't. what changed? if each carb was compatible with the fuel pressure at any point and also for a length of time then we should expect compatibility. I start with filter. then float level. the gaskets will reduce heat absorption and control manifold vacuum leaks, but I doubt that's the issue here.

I have to agree with Mat.

Covering up the symptom is not fixing the problem.

I have to agree with Mat.

Covering up the symptom is not fixing the problem.

I agree. That’s why I mentioned the junk and filter. But on new tanks, valves, etc it would seem that it came in with the fuel? Like gum? I’ve seen that happen, for sure.

I agree. That’s why I mentioned the junk and filter. But on new tanks, valves, etc it would seem that it came in with the fuel? Like gum? I’ve seen that happen, for sure.

A Carter YF is as reliable as a hammer.

It's hard to imagine that CJ has gone through 3 carbs and a fuel pump given that everything upstream is new. :nabble_anim_confused:

Really the only 2 things that could cause flooding are too much pressure or a bad float/valve.

It's hard to imagine that CJ has gone through 3 carbs and a fuel pump given that everything upstream is new. :nabble_anim_confused:

Really the only 2 things that could cause flooding are too much pressure or a bad float/valve.

Dirt or gum in the gas can easily cause a carb to flood. It gets on the needle and prevents sealing so fuel continues to flow. That’s why I use at least one paper filter as they will filter much better than the stock metal filters that might take out gnats.

Dirt or gum in the gas can easily cause a carb to flood. It gets on the needle and prevents sealing so fuel continues to flow. That’s why I use at least one paper filter as they will filter much better than the stock metal filters that might take out gnats.

If you want a plastic filter put it in the rubber line between frame rail and fuel pump.

The exhaust is on the other side so there's very little risk.

I haven't had problems with metal 'stone' type filters at the carb inlet, but I drive enough that my fuel doesn't go bad.

A rubber hose breaking down from ethanol fuel?

If you want a plastic filter put it in the rubber line between frame rail and fuel pump.

The exhaust is on the other side so there's very little risk.

I haven't had problems with metal 'stone' type filters at the carb inlet, but I drive enough that my fuel doesn't go bad.

Thanks Guys for all the input, since it’s 2 carbs doing the same thing, it’s either gum or pressure. Fuel goes thru 2 filters before carb, I’m going with pressure. Pressure is 7 psi, that’s the max recommended. Pressure regular set at 4.5-5 psi? I will open carb,(when it quits raining), to check for gum and float setting. Thanks to all for helping old guy think again. CJ

Thanks Guys for all the input, since it’s 2 carbs doing the same thing, it’s either gum or pressure. Fuel goes thru 2 filters before carb, I’m going with pressure. Pressure is 7 psi, that’s the max recommended. Pressure regular set at 4.5-5 psi? I will open carb,(when it quits raining), to check for gum and float setting. Thanks to all for helping old guy think again. CJ

Gum is hard to find. I had some years ago that coated the needle time after time in spite of running a whole bunch of carb cleaner in the gas. I took the carb apart and cleaned it multiple times, but it took running that tank out and getting well into the 2nd one before things lined out.

one difference between the carter yf and a hammer is that the hammer never has its baseplate screws lossen up :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: