Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

You might be the best one to figure out what parts you need. Let me walk you through how to do that.

Go to Documentation/Calibration Info & Part Numbers and then the Application To Parts List tab. Scroll down to Page 33, which is where the 1985 4.9L's show up. There you'll see the list of applications, meaning which trucks, transmissions, 2wd or 4wd, California or High Altitude, etc. Find the listing(s) that fit yours and note the Parts List Number.

Then scroll back to the tabs and click on the Parts Lists tab and scroll down until you find your Parts List Number. There is everything known to man about the specific emissions parts for your truck.

Lets assume yours is #430. Here's the parts list for it:

Gary, I don’t have any of those data stickers to pull info from. I “NAVIGATE” any where in the world, but a computer kicks my butt, that’s why I ask for a part number. On another note, I switched hoses on acl sensor and vacuum motor works correctly. Problem is, it creates a vacuum leak and engine revs up, so is sensor bad or check valve ? CJ

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I don’t have any of those data stickers to pull info from. I “NAVIGATE” any where in the world, but a computer kicks my butt, that’s why I ask for a part number. On another note, I switched hoses on acl sensor and vacuum motor works correctly. Problem is, it creates a vacuum leak and engine revs up, so is sensor bad or check valve ? CJ

CJ, if you're choosing to go retro and eliminate or bypass any ewissions controls you need to choose an archetype.

No Cat, no retarded cam timing? Id suggest a 1968 MY.

Just find something that works for you.....

Then always use that when asking for parts. (here, at the store, on Rock Auto or eBay)

Bypass one, the other or both vacuum devices with a straw or piece of fuel line or something,.... anything.

You'll know right away where the leak is, when it stops.

CJ, if you're choosing to go retro and eliminate or bypass any ewissions controls you need to choose an archetype.

No Cat, no retarded cam timing? Id suggest a 1968 MY.

Just find something that works for you.....

Then always use that when asking for parts. (here, at the store, on Rock Auto or eBay)

Bypass one, the other or both vacuum devices with a straw or piece of fuel line or something,.... anything.

You'll know right away where the leak is, when it stops.

:nabble_smiley_blush:“Bypass one, the other or both”. 1968 MY? my feeble mind didn’t get it. Just want a simple system that works as in my other post to you. To prove I pay attention to what you tell me, I caught that upside down M in ewissions controls. CJ

:nabble_smiley_blush:“Bypass one, the other or both”. 1968 MY? my feeble mind didn’t get it. Just want a simple system that works as in my other post to you. To prove I pay attention to what you tell me, I caught that upside down M in ewissions controls. CJ

That is an homage to a 'happy accident ' that Gary posted years ago! 😂

I've already told you that I will always do my best for the members of this forum.

We can find you a truck emissions calibration that fits your goal for an easy to fix, stone reliable vehicle.

I keep saying to people that I can fix my truck with a rock and a zip tie. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That I will ALWAYS get home...

And that's true!

I'm here to help.

Especially when I'm sitting in the flatbed at 3am with nothing else to do. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That is an homage to a 'happy accident ' that Gary posted years ago! 😂

I've already told you that I will always do my best for the members of this forum.

We can find you a truck emissions calibration that fits your goal for an easy to fix, stone reliable vehicle.

I keep saying to people that I can fix my truck with a rock and a zip tie. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That I will ALWAYS get home...

And that's true!

I'm here to help.

Especially when I'm sitting in the flatbed at 3am with nothing else to do. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

IMG_0123.jpeg.5427976241d2281a8a201942b011ead9.jpegJim, the vacuum motor, acl sensor still work great. Are you still looking for egr valve and egr vacuum check valve #’s ? I didn’t have any luck going back and forth in the computer, got lost many times, no patience! I don’t think my egr is correct, no numbers on it. CJ

Jim, the vacuum motor, acl sensor still work great. Are you still looking for egr valve and egr vacuum check valve #’s ? I didn’t have any luck going back and forth in the computer, got lost many times, no patience! I don’t think my egr is correct, no numbers on it. CJ

So, you're keeping the EGR and I'm going to look for a valve, the temp sensor, the delay and the limit valve? (you can't have a check valve, or the EGR would come on but never close again)

I can study the various calibration codes and choose a BOM that works for you.

So, you're keeping the EGR and I'm going to look for a valve, the temp sensor, the delay and the limit valve? (you can't have a check valve, or the EGR would come on but never close again)

I can study the various calibration codes and choose a BOM that works for you.

Jim, forgot to tell you, that’s a new temp sensor. So no check valve? I guess I just need egr valve #. Delay and limit valve instead of check valve? CJ

Jim, forgot to tell you, that’s a new temp sensor. So no check valve? I guess I just need egr valve #. Delay and limit valve instead of check valve? CJ

Let's just find you an archetype to work from, and then find the parts it shows.

Things are slow enough right now.

Let's just find you an archetype to work from, and then find the parts it shows.

Things are slow enough right now.

CJ, I can understand your confusion. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I haven't been forgetful. A few family crisis' have cropped up and i apologize... :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, here we see the listings for an EGR, and what I discover is that different carbs are tuned to work with different ones.

Screenshot_2024-02-20-02-25-16-137.jpeg.c358b4a6fdfea561336883ce84a0d018.jpeg

Also, given that your truck doesn't have a factory carb or it's solenoid pack, serious investigation is required.

Id suggested going with a pre-emissions calibration, but that isn't going to work with EGR.

And carbs that work with 'analog' EGR have throttle 'valves' that unload the vacuum applied to one.

So. We need to find one that constantly bleeds off, without being a huge vacuum leak.

CJ, I can understand your confusion. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I haven't been forgetful. A few family crisis' have cropped up and i apologize... :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, here we see the listings for an EGR, and what I discover is that different carbs are tuned to work with different ones.

Also, given that your truck doesn't have a factory carb or it's solenoid pack, serious investigation is required.

Id suggested going with a pre-emissions calibration, but that isn't going to work with EGR.

And carbs that work with 'analog' EGR have throttle 'valves' that unload the vacuum applied to one.

So. We need to find one that constantly bleeds off, without being a huge vacuum leak.

We need the 'weirdo' cranked neck valve that fits a 300, but we need a vacuum delay valve that never came on a truck with computer controlled solenoids... 🤔

Eta: im learning a lot about these arcane systems. :nabble_anim_working:

But we've got to come up with something that never existed, and unfortunately there's not a lot of specific documentation on long obsolete, optimized engine management. :nabble_smiley_sad:

We'll get there. 💡

This bear's got a bone, and I'm not about to let go..