Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll look for the info, but I'm with the others that the EGR system should not be the problem with fuel coming out of the carb.

CJ - I don't have enough info, so I'm going to suggest you look for the numbers, plural, as I don't think you will be able to get it down to a single one.

1. Go to Documentation/Calibration Info & Part Numbers and then to the Application To Parts List tab.

2. Scroll down to Pg 33 where the 1985 4.9L engine listings start. Then scroll on down to find F150's with your transmission and 2wd or 4wd setup that says "except Calif." or "except Calif. or Hi-altitude carb". When you find those write the Parts List Number down.

3. Go to the Parts Lists tab and scroll down to find the parts lists you wrote down. They are lists of all of the parts needed to calibrate your truck as it came from the factory,

I'll look for the info, but I'm with the others that the EGR system should not be the problem with fuel coming out of the carb.

Thanks Gary, do you think the parts I listed is what I need for a basic EGR system? And I need part numbers and a source. Thanks CJ

After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, hose to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ

I really don't know how to answer that as I'm not familiar with the EGR systems on a 4.9L. Or any engine for that matter.

If you have the vacuum routing diagram, like the one below from an 86 F150, you can see many of the parts listed.

Hopefully someone else knows?

86-300-ci-vacuum-routing-2.thumb.jpg.665f5e7296002d01b1fe9297a23f95ee.jpg

After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, hose to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ

I really don't know how to answer that as I'm not familiar with the EGR systems on a 4.9L. Or any engine for that matter.

If you have the vacuum routing diagram, like the one below from an 86 F150, you can see many of the parts listed.

Hopefully someone else knows?

having the egr working properly is beneficial but it's not the carb issue. double check the float setting. it's possible that it is set too high and not applying enough pressure to the needle and seat. be careful , don't try to add pressure, just be sure to check the proper measurement.

Thanks Gary, do you think the parts I listed is what I need for a basic EGR system? And I need part numbers and a source. Thanks CJ

To get the EGR to work, in my opinion, you will need everything in the emissions system there and working.

I tried several different ways to get the EGR on the 86 I used to own to operate with no luck. I blocked it off.

To get the EGR to work, in my opinion, you will need everything in the emissions system there and working.

I tried several different ways to get the EGR on the 86 I used to own to operate with no luck. I blocked it off.

Dane, I found a basic diagram for the EGR system, I’m going to give it a try when I find all the parts. CJ

Dane, I found a basic diagram for the EGR system, I’m going to give it a try when I find all the parts. CJ

If you are doing without the computer, go back to the older non-computer systems where there was usually a thermal valve to control the minimum temperature for the EGR valve to open.

If you are doing without the computer, go back to the older non-computer systems where there was usually a thermal valve to control the minimum temperature for the EGR valve to open.

Bill, I was planing to use a 2 port vcv with 1 hose to EGR and 1hose to middle vacuum port on 1 barrel carb teed to Dist. With check valve. This is a diagram from Documentations. I just need to find the parts. Also is there a source for air cleaner controls for hot and cold air ? I’m bogged down with a flooding carb at present but I need these items done also. Thanks CJ

Bill, I was planing to use a 2 port vcv with 1 hose to EGR and 1hose to middle vacuum port on 1 barrel carb teed to Dist. With check valve. This is a diagram from Documentations. I just need to find the parts. Also is there a source for air cleaner controls for hot and cold air ? I’m bogged down with a flooding carb at present but I need these items done also. Thanks CJ

The correct air filter should have a heat duct and vacuum motor. The sensor is inside the air cleaner. Thermal vacuum valves, used to be virtually everyone had them. I had a bunch of them, but I am afraid they didn't follow me to the Eastern Shore.

On your flooding issue, you say you have the EGR spacer, how thick is the gasket under the carburetor? Second, heat riser valve, is it working? If not is it stuck in the heat position?

Only flooding hot sounds like you may be boiling the fuel in the carburetor.