Bullnose Forums

Purchase Advice

P41N

Hey All, Im super new to the world of carbureted american vehicles and the bullnose will likely be my first! I found this vehicle (1986 F-250 4x4, 460 v8 automatic with roughly 182K miles on it) about 300 miles away from me. Owner said it had said for a few months but drove ~30miles or so in the last few days with no issues. I dont have any photos of of the interior yet and am waiting for those but in the meantime, what should I ask the owner before making the long drive out? I plan to drive this truck all the way home 300 miles.

What do I need to find out about the vehicle while im looking at it in person?

Some things I have in mind:

- Check 4x4 locking hubs to make sure the 4x4 works

- Check radiator for radiator fluid

- Check engine temp to make sure its good

- Check engine oil and sniff for fuel smells

- Check oil pressure

- Check for rust

- Check for rodent nests

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

00a0a_2JDcfVnLyPD_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.126609a6971d179025a0e54fea690afb.jpg

00c0c_9k5FiZUDgG0_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.a855d90944fbfd381d4c803e49ae2e20.jpg

00f0f_1YBveXHRYD7_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.2d3f8fb5b143c432323e809f7f3dd726.jpg

00I0I_eeY5hZXcB7t_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.0aa60527b0df2885b834d9698f511e3a.jpg

00Y0Y_ezycs2Vn7E8_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.2572a846485fc61de585c25275d06893.jpg

00505_dOIMLsigzLL_0t20CI_600x450.jpg.66524aa8493f4ccb6b6a5b8d37b4bbc2.jpg

00808_b6DJIS9eArC_0t20CI_600x450.jpg.26686c8b778d6b68e6e730fda82ce05a.jpg

Nice looking truck. If it can drive 30 miles or so it should make a longer trip. But you are wise to check it over closely.

The engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant would be in the list to check. And the rear differential level would come next.

If you have a volt meter check that the battery voltage is about 14v after starting. If no volt meter look at the ammeter to see that it swings a little to the right after starting.

Check tire pressures, inc the spare. And carry a can of gas in case the system won’t switch from one tank to the other.

Good luck!

Nice looking truck. If it can drive 30 miles or so it should make a longer trip. But you are wise to check it over closely.

The engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant would be in the list to check. And the rear differential level would come next.

If you have a volt meter check that the battery voltage is about 14v after starting. If no volt meter look at the ammeter to see that it swings a little to the right after starting.

Check tire pressures, inc the spare. And carry a can of gas in case the system won’t switch from one tank to the other.

Good luck!

Hey Thanks Gary for the advice! The owner put in a new main battery. Still should check yes?

If I can get it moving for 100 miles, I'll be within range of having AAA tow the rest of the way home for me if needed... or just have them do it to save on fuel! :)

Hey Thanks Gary for the advice! The owner put in a new main battery. Still should check yes?

If I can get it moving for 100 miles, I'll be within range of having AAA tow the rest of the way home for me if needed... or just have them do it to save on fuel! :)

These trucks have a very problematic second generation alternator.

It's wise to check the charging system is functioning properly.

Check the date codes on the tires.

Also check that the truck runs on both tanks (switch on the left of heater control)

Drive at least a few miles on each tank, front and rear.

Try the fan on all speeds and smell for smoke in the cab.

You don't want leaves or a mouse nest in the blower resistor to burn the truck down.

Also check that the truck runs on both tanks (switch on the left of heater control)

You don't want leaves or a mouse nest in the blower resistor to burn the truck down.

I went with AAA when I started driving these trucks just for the towing, so I understand. But hopefully you won't need it. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

As for the battery, you may not get very far if the alternator or its connections are bad. As Jim said, they are problematic and Ford lost a law suit over them. So check to see that the ammeter moves up a little bit just after starting, which indicates it is working.

As for the mouse nest, I'd forgotten that bit. But if they've invaded you may well find a nest up against the resistor pack that determines the blower motor speed. So turn on the heater and turn the fan down to low or thereabouts and see if you get a burning smell in the cab. If so you'll need to pull the resistor pack and/or the blower motor and clean things out.

How do you check for alternator issues? where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?

How do you check for alternator issues? where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?

Well, first see that it's charging properly (usually 14.3V ) while running.

Look closely at the output plug on the alternator (rectangular plug, two large blk/or wires and one wh/bk)

The common failure is that this plug melts and then the wiring harness catches fire when the melted plug allows the output wires to ground against the case.

We call it the 'fire starter'... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?

I failed to address this. Gary is talking about the ammeter that is found in the lower right of every 1986 F-series pickup.

D= discharge C= charging.

These instruments never really worked well, and the common fix for the dangerous 2Gen alternator has many converting them to a voltmeter that actually shows you something worthwhile.

Screenshot_2024-01-01-07-11-16-726.jpeg.f475ce5467912008a3935aa9082c6c2a.jpeg

where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?

[...] has many converting them to a voltmeter that actually shows you something worthwhile.

Jim, I remember you mentioned me this guy who converts ammeter to voltmeter, preserving the classic look.

Yup

Fortunately, for me, by 1987 Ford had figured out how worthless their ammeter was and they started using a voltmeter. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: