Bullnose Forums

Day 1 with my 1Honey

Clutch47

Spent a decent amount of time searching marketplace and some local yards to no avail.

I'm really not a FB fan, but in this case it worked out. At least I believe it will.

I'm in one of the myriad of bullnose groups there and happened to see a response saying the guy had a cluster from an 84. I messaged him and lo and behold, a tach cluster for an automatic.

I am not sure I've ever seen one. Guessing it must have been special ordered. 🤷‍♂️

So now comes the part I'll enjoy. Taking the dash cap out and removing the original cluster. It'll get cleaned out under there and all the plugs will get just a tiny dab of dielectric grease. When the new one gets here, I'll clean the ribbon and contacts with alcohol and grease them with a tiny bit. I might even spring for new bulbs.

I'm guessing the harness probably has the trigger wire for the tach as it would probably have cost FoMoCo more to make 2 different harnesses(?)..

Congrat's! You'll like that tach, but maybe the trip odometer even more. :nabble_smiley_good:

I really like the HIPO LED's for the gauges. I did a fair amount of testing and you can see the results in this post.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a decent amount of time searching marketplace and some local yards to no avail.

I'm really not a FB fan, but in this case it worked out. At least I believe it will.

I'm in one of the myriad of bullnose groups there and happened to see a response saying the guy had a cluster from an 84. I messaged him and lo and behold, a tach cluster for an automatic.

I am not sure I've ever seen one. Guessing it must have been special ordered. 🤷‍♂️

So now comes the part I'll enjoy. Taking the dash cap out and removing the original cluster. It'll get cleaned out under there and all the plugs will get just a tiny dab of dielectric grease. When the new one gets here, I'll clean the ribbon and contacts with alcohol and grease them with a tiny bit. I might even spring for new bulbs.

I'm guessing the harness probably has the trigger wire for the tach as it would probably have cost FoMoCo more to make 2 different harnesses(?)..

Factory tachs are mostly a success for me. I had one case where I bought one off FB Marketplace cheap because the seller upgraded to Dakota!! I got the tach and installed it. It was WAAY off!!

Ever since then I've made it a point to test it at purchase by observing it work or by using a truck as I've done here in a video

Its no fun to install it and then find its not accurate. The steering column has to drop slightly to replace the cluster (But maybe not). I always break the old plastic shift indicator wire-within-plastic-tube deals while removing the wrap surround.. all it takes is a mean look to break those things!! There is one seller that makes a replacement shift indicator linkage which is ~$60 or so. I've used his product. Very good. Your cluster appears to have a good shift indicator linkage.

Factory tachs are mostly a success for me. I had one case where I bought one off FB Marketplace cheap because the seller upgraded to Dakota!! I got the tach and installed it. It was WAAY off!!

Ever since then I've made it a point to test it at purchase by observing it work or by using a truck as I've done here in a video

Its no fun to install it and then find its not accurate. The steering column has to drop slightly to replace the cluster (But maybe not). I always break the old plastic shift indicator wire-within-plastic-tube deals while removing the wrap surround.. all it takes is a mean look to break those things!! There is one seller that makes a replacement shift indicator linkage which is ~$60 or so. I've used his product. Very good. Your cluster appears to have a good shift indicator linkage.

Are these tachs engine specific? Meaning 6cyl/8cyl are different assemblies?

When I was into autocross and fooling with fox chassis, the oem tach could be switched 4/6/8 ... I wonder.. 🤔

The gear selector indicators on everything of this vintage seem to be nearer to dust every day. I've repaired them in the past on other models with tactfully placed and supertightened zip ties. We shall see..

Please connect me to the repair item you're referring to. My interest piques.

When I was into autocross and fooling with fox chassis, the oem tach could be switched 4/6/8 ... I wonder.. 🤔

The gear selector indicators on everything of this vintage seem to be nearer to dust every day. I've repaired them in the past on other models with tactfully placed and supertightened zip ties. We shall see..

The factory tachs have a 6/8 terminal. The wiring harness for the 8 cylinder engines has a ground that goes to the tach on that terminal. Without the ground the tach is in 6 cylinder mode.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274692403986?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sSKYDEX2TBm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=nUjJ1bE2RVS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This one. Great quality item. Seller may be a member here on this forum if I'm not mistaken.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Reproduction-Auto-Transmission-Indicator-Cable-td89267.html

Thanks to both of you.

The LED bulbs are a thought. I've been a customer of superbright leds for years.

Repainting the needles and a thorough cleaning will happen too.

I'll be picking up the indicator cable(s) if it will work for my Crown Vic too..

I recently acquired a unicorn 1986 cop car 140 mph speedo for that and unfortunately the little clamp is cracked.

Thanks to both of you.

The LED bulbs are a thought. I've been a customer of superbright leds for years.

Repainting the needles and a thorough cleaning will happen too.

I'll be picking up the indicator cable(s) if it will work for my Crown Vic too..

I recently acquired a unicorn 1986 cop car 140 mph speedo for that and unfortunately the little clamp is cracked.

Two sources for fluorescent 'glow' needle paint

I was introduced to Hi Po just recently

If you buy LEDs from Hi Po, this might be a nice add-on

https://www.hipoparts.com/fluorescent-speedo-gauge-needle-restoration-paint/

Else try this one. I've used this paint and it works well. Just need stirred up well else its too thin up top.

https://www.michaels.com/product/testors-fluorescent-enamel-paint-10226505?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Craft+%26+Hobbies_N_PMAX_LocalOnly_N-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-18514199957_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-10226505&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xT3s_v8l3tedVomcacmWRYXslNDoalA8dvntt_J5XQMK-KDFvCYE2BoChCkQAvD_BwE

Wondering if anyone has the information on the exact match rattle can paint to the rear bumper color and sheen..

I'm making something and when it's done I absolutely need to repaint the bumper and make it appear to have been original.

If it all comes out the way I'm hoping it does, eventually I'll get it powdercoated.

One step at a time.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Really can't decide on a vendor to patronize for suspension bushings, ball joints and brake lines.

Is there a vendor that supports this website?

Only Gary could say, but he is entertaining family this week, so his time is limited.

I would definitely invite you to request a vendor review poll when you do decide on a brand.

We're always here to spread personal experiences