Bullnose Forums

Day 1 with my 1Honey

Clutch47

Looking goooooood!

You've found your wheels. :nabble_anim_jump:

20240307_130545.jpg.4446d91dfcb03c2afdc9be369eacce3a.jpg

Score. 4 almost new tires too.

Little hairs still on 2 of them..

Sitting under a lean-to on a plank outside on a farm.

Now to find 4 nice centers and screws, and a set of lug nuts.

We're getting there.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score. 4 almost new tires too.

Little hairs still on 2 of them..

Sitting under a lean-to on a plank outside on a farm.

Now to find 4 nice centers and screws, and a set of lug nuts.

We're getting there.

Wow!!! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Modifying a Clifford header.

I've had enough of headers with 3 bolt flat flanges over the years. They all leak sooner or later.

20240201_112152.jpg.b4348f76ed198a2b6f496dc07ce9903c.jpg

Ball and socket was an option. Knowing there will be 2 flanges in close proximity to each other and I'm pretty much doing this one handed, I thought I'd give V-Bands a try.

I've never screwed with them, but a close friend has and his words are gold with me.

So here is one ready for my friend to TIG them on. He's a better finish welder than I am, so he will make them right before I get them down to another friends shop for ceramic coating.

Cut the flange off, dressed the edge and the V-Band flange fit on perfectly. A tiny tack or two to square it up and here it is.

IMG_1669.jpg.4acb66382b9bdfe7f53420c984312928.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg.8a4f12f8c88c75b412e358fbc2d05041.jpg

Modifying a Clifford header.

I've had enough of headers with 3 bolt flat flanges over the years. They all leak sooner or later.

Ball and socket was an option. Knowing there will be 2 flanges in close proximity to each other and I'm pretty much doing this one handed, I thought I'd give V-Bands a try.

I've never screwed with them, but a close friend has and his words are gold with me.

So here is one ready for my friend to TIG them on. He's a better finish welder than I am, so he will make them right before I get them down to another friends shop for ceramic coating.

Cut the flange off, dressed the edge and the V-Band flange fit on perfectly. A tiny tack or two to square it up and here it is.

that should work excellent. I have been using bell and flares for years now, but my nephew uses v bands doing turbos, so he talked me into using one on lefty. it is great and it gave a perfect center assembly/disassembly point at the end of the y pipe before heading back. much cleaner. better seal.

My friend is a retired welding teacher. We agree that form follows function and proper welds are the rule, pretty welds are the candy.

I call him the candy man.

Is his name Sammy Davis?

Bands and Wiggins couplings were popularized for hot swapping turbos.

I wish they were readily available back in the day.

Is his name Sammy Davis?

Bands and Wiggins couplings were popularized for hot swapping turbos.

I wish they were readily available back in the day.

Sammy Davis... no 🤣

Funny story though on his candy man nickname.

About 30 years ago we met while working in a State Prison. Of the 300-ish employees, he was voted on by all the ladies as having the most appealing backside.

Said by one of the nurses to be her "daily dose of eye candy".... the use of the candy word is something I try to get into most of our conversations to revisit the thousands of belly laughs his narrow behind brought.

He usually rolls his eyes and we laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a decent amount of time searching marketplace and some local yards to no avail.

I'm really not a FB fan, but in this case it worked out. At least I believe it will.

I'm in one of the myriad of bullnose groups there and happened to see a response saying the guy had a cluster from an 84. I messaged him and lo and behold, a tach cluster for an automatic.

received_396776803088076.jpeg.964411aba929aabc461480e95a4cb7b1.jpeg

I am not sure I've ever seen one. Guessing it must have been special ordered. 🤷‍♂️

So now comes the part I'll enjoy. Taking the dash cap out and removing the original cluster. It'll get cleaned out under there and all the plugs will get just a tiny dab of dielectric grease. When the new one gets here, I'll clean the ribbon and contacts with alcohol and grease them with a tiny bit. I might even spring for new bulbs.

I'm guessing the harness probably has the trigger wire for the tach as it would probably have cost FoMoCo more to make 2 different harnesses(?)..

received_660442666163435.jpeg.d8102fb0771d9206c9b7d9beed573b01.jpeg