Bullnose Forums

Day 1 with my 1Honey

Clutch47

20231217_135750.jpg.dea9391d75aeb779bdd56c235c51f932.jpgA friend sent me a FBMP ad, and a few days later it was in my driveway.

I've been looking for a 2wd worth buying for a few years, and with the recent surge in popularity and price of all Ford trucks I thought all hope was lost until the market moved on to the next cool thing.

It's a 300-6/C6 truck with the absolute bottom options. Just heat and defrost.

The trans crossmember is pretty crusty and may get replaced. The floors and frame are OK and the rockers aren't bad either.

I'll clean it up and put the rust killer I'm fond of everywhere and run it.

I have questions.

- is it a pony?

- is the crossmember different for the AOD trucks ? I have an AOD all done with a 2K converter on the shelf and that would give me a better 1st gear ratio and OD too.

I'm going to try adding pictures. Let's see how this goes.

20231217_135611.jpg.f75134442e459e75caf03e05855e7cc1.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_195201_Facebook.jpg.519d9cc487193256d12c70a69dfb484c.jpg

welcome. I like the truck but as you know we all do here. I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony". as for the aod, it is a common upgrade that I do. in fact, I swapped an aod into my 86 sb a few months ago. I removed the c6 and I will say that it took me many years to decide to do so. it has been my old reliable truck for over thirty years. however, I do aod swaps and its awkward to sell it if I won't do it. there are many things to consider. number one is that the c6 is a better transmission. they did not attempt the aod behind the 460 or diesels. for good reason! but if you set it up correctly there is no reason that you should not love it.

welcome. I like the truck but as you know we all do here. I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony". as for the aod, it is a common upgrade that I do. in fact, I swapped an aod into my 86 sb a few months ago. I removed the c6 and I will say that it took me many years to decide to do so. it has been my old reliable truck for over thirty years. however, I do aod swaps and its awkward to sell it if I won't do it. there are many things to consider. number one is that the c6 is a better transmission. they did not attempt the aod behind the 460 or diesels. for good reason! but if you set it up correctly there is no reason that you should not love it.

According to the factory documentation the AOD (AOT) was never available behind a 351 either.

There's a good reason for this, in stock form.

I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony".

Gary may have to remind us of the full story or post some of the Ford "faux" documentation, but in the early 80's literature there was a "Pony" option. If I recall correctly, it was supposedly a super fuel efficient package where the truck was spec'd out with a 300 inline six, a 4spd O/D trans, and a 2.73 9" rear diff, or something like that. They were bare bones optionless pickups with 300, OD, and tall geared rear diffs.

I'm not sure that they ever even existed...except in some documentation. It was like an option name that Ford intended to market, but did not.

I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony".

Gary may have to remind us of the full story or post some of the Ford "faux" documentation, but in the early 80's literature there was a "Pony" option. If I recall correctly, it was supposedly a super fuel efficient package where the truck was spec'd out with a 300 inline six, a 4spd O/D trans, and a 2.73 9" rear diff, or something like that. They were bare bones optionless pickups with 300, OD, and tall geared rear diffs.

I'm not sure that they ever even existed...except in some documentation. It was like an option name that Ford intended to market, but did not.

Check this thread for some information and comments on the "Pony" option:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fuel-Saver-Option-tp18596.html

"Pony" seems like the stripper optioned fleet truck that utility companies were bound to run back then.

You don't need much speed or capacity to read or change a meter. (electric, water or gas)

Check the page at Documentation/Bullnose FAQ’s and then the 1982-83 F100 Pony tab.

Since I've joined this forum and initially saw the pony literature, it kinda made me think this truck could have been similarly equipped.

300/6 and basically nothing else. No dash vents at all, just heat on your feet and defrost on the windshield. AM radio. Literally as bare bones as it gets.

My 69 Montego is the same.

I'll post pics of the door tag later when I get up there.

I've been in between homes as I just moved, and the timing of this truck falling into my lap couldn't have been worse. My friend knew I'd been looking for years for something like this and kinda sent me the ad as a joke. I contact the guy and he offered me a superb price if I came before Christmas.

Deal done.

As far as the AOD swap goes, I've had a few of them and C6s too.

Once built properly, the AOD suits me better, and will be fine.

I have one in my Crown Vic that is not only tight and properly controlled now, but I've added a simple solenoid controlled OD lockout that came with the valve body I got years ago from silverfox transmission.

So it's almost an FMX in an aluminum case with 4th gear now living happily behind 409tq at the tire.

Just took these.

I'll go attempt to decode as much as I can.

Looking at the mileage and the wear on the brake/gas pedal pads, steering wheel and considering how snug the column feels, I'm considering the mileage to be authentic.

The door hinges are tight and the ignition switch seems to be snug with no slop.

I'll figure out how to turn these pictures somehow 🤣

20231227_170556.jpg.e926c7af311268ce673a4a48a81c587f.jpg

20231227_170539.jpg.b793d48de004a1ca82905a73314d4354.jpg

20231227_170524.jpg.4bf66ce2eca83735c6edebcbfc64237a.jpg

20231227_171132.thumb.jpg.394a3ae081dab3183e7e3ab570a2bf5c.jpg

Since I've joined this forum and initially saw the pony literature, it kinda made me think this truck could have been similarly equipped.

300/6 and basically nothing else. No dash vents at all, just heat on your feet and defrost on the windshield. AM radio. Literally as bare bones as it gets.

My 69 Montego is the same.

I'll post pics of the door tag later when I get up there.

I've been in between homes as I just moved, and the timing of this truck falling into my lap couldn't have been worse. My friend knew I'd been looking for years for something like this and kinda sent me the ad as a joke. I contact the guy and he offered me a superb price if I came before Christmas.

Deal done.

As far as the AOD swap goes, I've had a few of them and C6s too.

Once built properly, the AOD suits me better, and will be fine.

I have one in my Crown Vic that is not only tight and properly controlled now, but I've added a simple solenoid controlled OD lockout that came with the valve body I got years ago from silverfox transmission.

So it's almost an FMX in an aluminum case with 4th gear now living happily behind 409tq at the tire.

this sounds as though you have an aod"e". there are no electronics inside an aod. no, the neutral safety is not internal electronics. if you do decide to use the aode then you will need to add an on-board trans controller too. adding an ecu to such a basic vehicle feels wrong to me but I don't judge. I have used hgms computer controller doing this and it works wonderfully. and syncs to my phone where I can tune it with an app. all plug and play install also. I prefer the aod simply because it is totally hydraulic and stays very simple. tv cable adjustment is the most critical.