Bullnose Forums

Can tow hooks or shackles be installed on an 85 F-150?

CDLong

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, would probably offer some good advice here, after all the testing he's done at Newport News.

Ok, first item. aluminum has no where near the tensile strength of steel, no way would I trust aluminum tow hooks. I have an Aluma cargo trailer, all aluminum, even the wheels except for the hitch and safety chains, those are steel.

After I bought it, I went through and replaced every bolt with cres bolts. I used 304 cres condition B as it is the higher strength version.

On attaching hooks to an F150 frame, as long as it is not new enough to have the controlled crush front frame horns there should not be a problem. If the truck has a driver's side air bag it will have the controlled crush front frame.

Ok, first item. aluminum has no where near the tensile strength of steel, no way would I trust aluminum tow hooks. I have an Aluma cargo trailer, all aluminum, even the wheels except for the hitch and safety chains, those are steel.

After I bought it, I went through and replaced every bolt with cres bolts. I used 304 cres condition B as it is the higher strength version.

On attaching hooks to an F150 frame, as long as it is not new enough to have the controlled crush front frame horns there should not be a problem. If the truck has a driver's side air bag it will have the controlled crush front frame.

It's NOT in tension or shear, it's a spacer block between a frame rail and a forged tow hook.

Compression only!

The bolts go through BOTH thick pieces of steel on the sandwich, and can't pull through. 🤷‍♂️

It's NOT in tension or shear, it's a spacer block between a frame rail and a forged tow hook.

Compression only!

The bolts go through BOTH thick pieces of steel on the sandwich, and can't pull through. 🤷‍♂️

One other item on the frames, the 250, 250HD and 350 frames, in addition to being "taller" on the sides are also thicker metal. It is probably a metric dimension as 1985 was the year Ford started metric components and measurements.

One other item on the frames, the 250, 250HD and 350 frames, in addition to being "taller" on the sides are also thicker metal. It is probably a metric dimension as 1985 was the year Ford started metric components and measurements.

250-350 4x4 frames have leaf spring shackles in the boxed frame horns....

That darn 450 (and all C&C trucks) had a thicker frame still!

How's your back, Bill?

You're commenting early

250-350 4x4 frames have leaf spring shackles in the boxed frame horns....

That darn 450 (and all C&C trucks) had a thicker frame still!

How's your back, Bill?

You're commenting early

Back is still bothering me, we are taking the alarm system (Trixie) for her "spa day" and then going up to Salisbury MD as Mary has a pipe dream of wanting a "gussied up Chevy" (Cadillac Escalade) and wants to look at any the Dealer there might have.

She objects to climbing up into Darth, but wants something probably taller.

On the back issue, I am giving the Jordan Young Institute until noon today to call me, after that I will call and see what their problem is. The referral wasn't picked up on until I went on their website and registered. When they called the lady was able to find my information.

Back is still bothering me, we are taking the alarm system (Trixie) for her "spa day" and then going up to Salisbury MD as Mary has a pipe dream of wanting a "gussied up Chevy" (Cadillac Escalade) and wants to look at any the Dealer there might have.

On the back issue, I am giving the Jordan Young Institute until noon today to call me, after that I will call and see what their problem is. The referral wasn't picked up on until I went on their website and registered. When they called the lady was able to find my information.

I hope they can get you in quickly. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

The Escapade probably has retracting step bars. :nabble_smiley_wink:

At least all the limo ones I move around do.....