Bullnose Forums

Need help diagnosing these noises

Stroker kits can be had, but they all require oversized bores, so major machine work there, plus they need to be balanced (I think, not sure). Lotta money to spend down that path.

Scat offers pre balanced rotating assembly's

0.040 is huge! (Like plug gap huge!)

I can't imagine you even have bearing shells left if it's that far gone.

Bring it to a crank shop and bring the rod and bearing too.

Maybe the rod is out of round or tweaked?

I need to go back and study your build thread to make more sense of this....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bearing shells are very thin at this point.

The biggest undersize bearings I can find are .060, and the one source I saw for them say they are backordered til March. I'll have to do some more looking around if that's the way I go, or maybe the crank can clean up at something smaller than .060.

I do need to take a closer look at the rod big end. If the crank got chewed on that badly, no reason to think the same thing has not happened to the rod.

The bearing shells are very thin at this point.

The biggest undersize bearings I can find are .060, and the one source I saw for them say they are backordered til March. I'll have to do some more looking around if that's the way I go, or maybe the crank can clean up at something smaller than .060.

I do need to take a closer look at the rod big end. If the crank got chewed on that badly, no reason to think the same thing has not happened to the rod.

I looked back through your build thread and see where you say the crank was just under dimension on all journals.

Also that you didn't check or recondition the rods.

Id definitely be looking at/for twist or ovalation in that #3 rod.

Could explain how that one bearing lost pressure and failed once the bearings bedded in.

I looked back through your build thread and see where you say the crank was just under dimension on all journals.

Also that you didn't check or recondition the rods.

Id definitely be looking at/for twist or ovalation in that #3 rod.

Could explain how that one bearing lost pressure and failed once the bearings bedded in.

That makes a lot of sense. I did re-use parts from the 95 donor engine that I assumed were ok because they looked ok. I can't remember if the .001 undersize was on all journals or just the mains. I did address it on the mains by using oversize bearings as I recall. I can't remember doing anything with the rod bearings, but my memory kind of sucks these days.

In light of needing a new crank (or cutting that one under if possible), wanting new rods (cause I maybe shouldn't trust these), needing an engine teardown to get all the bearing material that is no doubt everywhere, and having always wanted a stroker 351w, I am going to get a 408 stroker kit and rebuild the engine. Hope the wait time for the machine work is not lengthy.