Bullnose Forums

Dash speaker size/ cb radio location

Interesting project!

May I suggest you asks Gary about “cockpit organizing”.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Seems that there’s a missing gauge in your dash:

:nabble_smiley_wink:

You mean something like this? :nabble_smiley_evil:

It is Smittybilt's Clinometer app and it provides a wealth of info. I just haven't figured out how to mount the phone somewhere stable yet, but I have a good idea.

IMG_1061.thumb.png.7ea92c50f1e2e6a1fce09b7add10127c.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean something like this? :nabble_smiley_evil:

It is Smittybilt's Clinometer app and it provides a wealth of info. I just haven't figured out how to mount the phone somewhere stable yet, but I have a good idea.

I mean I like the novelty of repurposing an aircraft instrument for an off-road rig.

Neither one really has any meaning for me but I find small pleasure in the incongruous (like having a hooded fire control button in the cab of a flatbed)

I mean I like the novelty of repurposing an aircraft instrument for an off-road rig.

Neither one really has any meaning for me but I find small pleasure in the incongruous (like having a hooded fire control button in the cab of a flatbed)

Bob’s Bronco could use one - an artificial horizon display, not a hooded fire button. So it wouldn’t be incongruous. But might be quite useful, or at least informative.

Working on the Royces. Both were built in May of 1976. Both are the exact same model. Both look IDENTICAL. But one is a 40 channel, and the other is a 23 channel. Both work, but, the 40 channel is stuck on channel 38, and won't move. The other works fine, but as we all know, 23 channel radios are illegal to use. What I want to do is swap parts from one or the other to make a working 40 channel. At first i thought the channel select switch on the 40 was bad,(which makes sense because it's probably been pushed 539,264,850 times), but, it feels the same as the other, and, looking at it, it doesn't really seem like much can go wrong with it. I don't know anything about electronics, but on observation both units appear to have identical parts-with one exception. The channel indicator panel. Or whatever you call it. 20231205_191541.jpg.a113737a526f8592f5b0e28479d52073.jpg

This is the 23 channel.

20231205_191600.jpg.04d2210e33671b9bf29b67eefb37a977.jpg

This is the 40 channel.

What concerns me is this: on the 40, is the switch bad, or the thing that has the channels loaded into it(if that makes sense). Another thought: The components in both units look the same except for the ones in the pictures.

If the FCC's decision to change to the 40 channel system, which became effective in 77', was announced in May of 76', Royce would immediately have to switch production to 40 channel models. It would not make sense to completely redesign the radio. What seems most likely to me it that they only changed the part in my pictures, to keep the assembly lines rolling.

Here's the problem: if that part is bad on the 40, and I swapped in the one from the 23, all I would accomplish is making it a 23 channel radio. So I'm hoping the switch is bad. (Both switches are the same). Here is the switch:

20231205_192618.jpg.df65df730fd3d39ef4caa13bee34e011.jpg

20231205_192634.jpg.8ed5a51d4a73908f4062c1dde92fe242.jpg

One of them is for selecting the channel, the other is a dimmer. It appears that all they do is let current from one side to the other by means of a sliding contact. If that is the case, all I have to do to test it is to test for continuity when the switch is pressed.

Working on the Royces. Both were built in May of 1976. Both are the exact same model. Both look IDENTICAL. But one is a 40 channel, and the other is a 23 channel. Both work, but, the 40 channel is stuck on channel 38, and won't move. The other works fine, but as we all know, 23 channel radios are illegal to use. What I want to do is swap parts from one or the other to make a working 40 channel. At first i thought the channel select switch on the 40 was bad,(which makes sense because it's probably been pushed 539,264,850 times), but, it feels the same as the other, and, looking at it, it doesn't really seem like much can go wrong with it. I don't know anything about electronics, but on observation both units appear to have identical parts-with one exception. The channel indicator panel. Or whatever you call it.

This is the 23 channel.

This is the 40 channel.

What concerns me is this: on the 40, is the switch bad, or the thing that has the channels loaded into it(if that makes sense). Another thought: The components in both units look the same except for the ones in the pictures.

If the FCC's decision to change to the 40 channel system, which became effective in 77', was announced in May of 76', Royce would immediately have to switch production to 40 channel models. It would not make sense to completely redesign the radio. What seems most likely to me it that they only changed the part in my pictures, to keep the assembly lines rolling.

Here's the problem: if that part is bad on the 40, and I swapped in the one from the 23, all I would accomplish is making it a 23 channel radio. So I'm hoping the switch is bad. (Both switches are the same). Here is the switch:

One of them is for selecting the channel, the other is a dimmer. It appears that all they do is let current from one side to the other by means of a sliding contact. If that is the case, all I have to do to test it is to test for continuity when the switch is pressed.

Schematic:

royce_1_610_om_ser1_sch.jpg.6aa60f6f41bdc37aabb4d0b7cfe50ad5.jpg

Can't find the selector switch in it.

Another thought:

As I've said, I don't know anything about electronics, but usually if a board is bad it's obvious by burn marks right? Can one go bad with any obvious sign?

Schematic:

Can't find the selector switch in it.

Another thought:

As I've said, I don't know anything about electronics, but usually if a board is bad it's obvious by burn marks right? Can one go bad with any obvious sign?

I'm trying to read this on my phone, but I would say what are the two switches directly above transistor Q501(?) on the left side?

You say "one is a dimmer". What does it dim? The display? An indicator lamp?

They both go to the IC header and switch between direct and through a resistor, it seems.

(again, my eyes are not so good anymore and I'm looking at a sub6" screen)

Circuit boards can definitely fail without scorches.

IC's can fail internally, sometimes a resistor, transistor or diode will fail open without showing on the package.

Often the best way to detect a fault without a logic probe is to look with an infrared camera.

I'm trying to read this on my phone, but I would say what are the two switches directly above transistor Q501(?) on the left side?

They both go to the IC header and switch between direct and through a resistor, it seems.

IC's can fail internally, sometimes a resistor, transistor or diode will fail open without showing on the package.

Often the best way to detect a fault without a logic probe is to look with an infrared camera.

It controls the channel display.

https://cbtricks.org/radios/royce/1_610/graphics/royce_1_610_om_ser1_sch.jpg