Bullnose Forums

Dash speaker size/ cb radio location

It is. There's still room for a full width set of shelves (which happen to incorporate a large inverter, some relays for the air compressor in back, a bunch of USB ports, etc.

Standing Wave Ratio is basically a measure of how much radio output makes it through the antenna and into the air.

You want to make sure the hood ground is well connected (by the passenger hinge) as this is part of your ground plane.

Sometimes you need to do some impedance matching using a balun in the antenna cable.

In other words, making sure you have right antenna, not more or less than you need. Correct?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a good picture of that, but maybe these two will do.

And you can also see the rear view mirror, which has been replaced with a 12" wide LCD that shows the front and rear camera outputs. It looks like a mirror, and actually works like one until it is turned on. Then it shows the output of the front camera, both front and rear, or rear only. I have it in both mode until going into reverse, at which point it is all rear. And it also shows speed from the GPS unit as well as time - also from the satellites.

Yes, with the captain's chairs you can get to the storage while underway. The driver can reach a few things, but the passenger can get to a whole lot more.

The inverter, which I got from Jim, powers the onboard-air system that is in the toolbox in the bed. That's a 1.5 HP HF compressor that pumps up to 200 psi. With air stored in the 4 gallon tank ahead of the RR wheel below the bed I can air tires up from 15 to 30 psi in 30 seconds/tire.

But it also powers several wall warts that charge all sorts of flashlights, handheld radios, etc while I'm driving. And it has powered a Keurig to brew coffee at 14,000' in Colorado.

Brewing_Coffee_On_Imogene_Pass.thumb.jpg.fb007222331309ec257b9511d48c6135.jpg

This cab is getting crowded!

:nabble_smiley_whistling: 🙄 :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Ah, sweet child,

You're new at this aren't you?

Ask Gary for some pictures of "Mission Control", and his backup camera mirror, and the molded plastic headliner with speakers and CB, and the console with cupholders, and the storage box behind the seat with the charging dock, the 3000/6000W inverter, relays, fire extinguisher, go bag, etc.... ad infinitum. 🤯

You know, I could free up a lot of space by not putting the steering column back in.

In other words, making sure you have right antenna, not more or less than you need. Correct?

That's a part of it, but it also needs to be properly mounted and you also have to have the right cable connecting it.

(none of this matters until you actually get an antenna and a SWR meter to measure.

How do you have your antenna wire routed to the outside of the truck? I've yet to find a good solution for that.

The Highliner has a channel down the center from front to rear and then I put a connector through the roof beside the cargo light, as shown below. But that particular connector didn't work out well so I changed it out.

But I should note that I have a GMRS radio, not a CB. GMRS is at a much higher frequency and, therefore, uses a much shorter antenna.

BNC_Connector_With_Antenna_Connected.jpg.83348406e0fa816ed89197bde2ca63ba.jpg

Yes, with the captain's chairs you can get to the storage while underway. The driver can reach a few things, but the passenger can get to a whole lot more.

The inverter, which I got from Jim, powers the onboard-air system that is in the toolbox in the bed. That's a 1.5 HP HF compressor that pumps up to 200 psi. With air stored in the 4 gallon tank ahead of the RR wheel below the bed I can air tires up from 15 to 30 psi in 30 seconds/tire.

But it also powers several wall warts that charge all sorts of flashlights, handheld radios, etc while I'm driving. And it has powered a Keurig to brew coffee at 14,000' in Colorado.

That sounds like a good place, but my exhaust tip goes right there!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

You would also have a lot more space if you just sat on a milk crate. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Were you listening in on my conversation with my SiL, TJ yesterday? We were discussing the replacement of the seat and the need to do something with the rusted floor pans, and during that he said maybe we should just install a milk crate. I explained that I've done that, albeit just to move the truck into and out of the garage while working on it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You would also have a lot more space if you just sat on a milk crate. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Were you listening in on my conversation with my SiL, TJ yesterday? We were discussing the replacement of the seat and the need to do something with the rusted floor pans, and during that he said maybe we should just install a milk crate. I explained that I've done that, albeit just to move the truck into and out of the garage while working on it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Great minds think alike 😉