Bullnose Forums

Dash speaker size/ cb radio location

Alright y'all, here's another addition to my long list. I "accidentally" acquired several cb radios this week by way of fleabay. I've wanted to put one in the F250 for a while, but mounting has always been the problem. For such a large truck, there's nowhere to put anything! The main problem is the shifter. If this truck had a slushbox it would be much easier. Also, does anyone know what size speaker fits in the top of the dash? I hope it's not some crazy one-off Fordiosity. I'll try to get some pictures in a bit.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Here it is:

20231130_121438.jpg.e9b084819ff609038a5872643023f9d6.jpg

20231130_121451.jpg.d2cf25a92f80a4c90c1e213a14257351.jpg

20231130_121601.jpg.1ab6842b2f92a18eedd4e4ee165fe1e2.jpg

20231130_121512.jpg.4e4ad73b12ccd9c2aed431729e17f31e.jpg

I could put it on top of the dash, but that seems awkward. The mic cord and controls would be kind of difficult to get to. I could also put it between the sun visors, but that's where I want to put the switch panel. Under the dash might be possible, but the shifter is somewhat in the way. I could also put the switch panel under the dash, and the cb overhead. This cab is getting crowded!

Alright y'all, here's another addition to my long list. I "accidentally" acquired several cb radios this week by way of fleabay. I've wanted to put one in the F250 for a while, but mounting has always been the problem. For such a large truck, there's nowhere to put anything! The main problem is the shifter. If this truck had a slushbox it would be much easier. Also, does anyone know what size speaker fits in the top of the dash? I hope it's not some crazy one-off Fordiosity. I'll try to get some pictures in a bit.

I purchased a NOS dash speaker from LMC back in 2017, the OE mono speaker is a 4 Ohm speaker and CB radios require 8 Ohm external speakers, so I threw a 4 Ohm 2 Watt resistor inline the wiring that was a salvaged OEM speaker connector that ends in a Mono headphone jack to plug into the back of my CB. It made it so much easier to hear without cranking the CB volume up as the speaker was higher and facing up vs low and facing the floor.

Size wise I dont know what size it is but I suspect it is probably a 6x9 or close to it speaker. What ever you get make sure its 8 Ohm resistance or plan on adding resistors to achieve 8 Ohm resistance otherwise youll knock out your CB radio.

I purchased a NOS dash speaker from LMC back in 2017, the OE mono speaker is a 4 Ohm speaker and CB radios require 8 Ohm external speakers, so I threw a 4 Ohm 2 Watt resistor inline the wiring that was a salvaged OEM speaker connector that ends in a Mono headphone jack to plug into the back of my CB. It made it so much easier to hear without cranking the CB volume up as the speaker was higher and facing up vs low and facing the floor.

Size wise I dont know what size it is but I suspect it is probably a 6x9 or close to it speaker. What ever you get make sure its 8 Ohm resistance or plan on adding resistors to achieve 8 Ohm resistance otherwise youll knock out your CB radio.

I'm new to cb stuff. Does "knock out" mean "blow up"?

I'm new to cb stuff. Does "knock out" mean "blow up"?

In a sense, it means it will take the radio out now I dont know if it will only burn up the external speaker circuit or if it would burn up the whole radio where it wont work. I didnt want to take that risk to find out.

I could put it on top of the dash, but that seems awkward. The mic cord and controls would be kind of difficult to get to. I could also put it between the sun visors, but that's where I want to put the switch panel. Under the dash might be possible, but the shifter is somewhat in the way. I could also put the switch panel under the dash, and the cb overhead. This cab is getting crowded!

Can't tell in the pictures, do you have bucket seats and a center console?

I put one I had on the right side, front, of the center console. I had an auto, but it was out of my way there.

Interesting CB, don't think I've ever seen that one!

If you're new to CB's, measure your SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) for your antenna.

One of my combos is a "they say you can't" setup that I really like. Cobra 148GTL, they say don't get the Chinese made ones, mine is and it's awesome, good transmit and receive.

They say don't use a magnet mount antenna permanently, I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount, best antenna I have had.

They say don't use a cigarette lighter plug, run it directly to the battery, I have ran direct wires and now always use a cig plug, i don't hear a difference, it's a noisy AM radio.

That's a cool looking radio.

This cab is getting crowded!

:nabble_smiley_whistling: 🙄 :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Ah, sweet child,

You're new at this aren't you?

Ask Gary for some pictures of "Mission Control", and his backup camera mirror, and the molded plastic headliner with speakers and CB, and the console with cupholders, and the storage box behind the seat with the charging dock, the 3000/6000W inverter, relays, fire extinguisher, go bag, etc.... ad infinitum. 🤯

Can't tell in the pictures, do you have bucket seats and a center console?

I put one I had on the right side, front, of the center console. I had an auto, but it was out of my way there.

Interesting CB, don't think I've ever seen that one!

If you're new to CB's, measure your SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) for your antenna.

One of my combos is a "they say you can't" setup that I really like. Cobra 148GTL, they say don't get the Chinese made ones, mine is and it's awesome, good transmit and receive.

They say don't use a magnet mount antenna permanently, I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount, best antenna I have had.

They say don't use a cigarette lighter plug, run it directly to the battery, I have ran direct wires and now always use a cig plug, i don't hear a difference, it's a noisy AM radio.

That's a cool looking radio.

Yes, I have the bucket seats and console. I currently have 4 cb's and another for parts on the way. I've never seen one like that either. The brand is Fanfare I think. Yes, I have 4 cb's and don't know how to use them. I'm one of those "jump in head(and wallet) first" kind of people. Currently I don't have an antenna, but I have two on the way. Both are magnetic mount, and I'm planning on installing cb's in 3 vehicles. One would be the Danger Ranger, the other a Honda Pilot.