Bullnose Forums

Cab and chassis f350 2wd to 4wd conversion

Gary has information about 335 series flywheel swaps from Tim Meyer if you want to go down the 5-speed path, but you'd have to change the pedal box and add a master cylinder.

Right. The bell housing bolt pattern for the M-block and 460's is the same, but the flywheel is about 3/8" farther back on the 460 than the M-block. So the ZF5's input shaft is too short to properly engage in the pilot bearing in the crankshaft on an M-block.

I designed an adapter that bolts to the crankshaft and moves the flywheel and pilot bearing back the needed amount, and Tim is making and selling them.

Gary has information about 335 series flywheel swaps from Tim Meyer if you want to go down the 5-speed path, but you'd have to change the pedal box and add a master cylinder.

Right. The bell housing bolt pattern for the M-block and 460's is the same, but the flywheel is about 3/8" farther back on the 460 than the M-block. So the ZF5's input shaft is too short to properly engage in the pilot bearing in the crankshaft on an M-block.

I designed an adapter that bolts to the crankshaft and moves the flywheel and pilot bearing back the needed amount, and Tim is making and selling them.

Link

The plan would be to keep my 4 speed and do a divorced transfer case or find one that will bolt to the np435. I decided my vin a few weeks ago I forgot my axle ratio but I’ll go back through and get that info again.

You'd need to find a new transmission output shaft and the 4x4 tail housing to 'adapt' a married transfer case to your existing 2wd NP435.

Then you'd need to completely disassemble and re-shim the gearbox to install it.

I'm not sure where you bolt the linkage or a divorced transfer case but I imagine you'll have to modify your own transmission crossmember and both drive shafts in that case.

Seems like a cool project.

Do you have a decent driveline shop in your area?

You'd need to find a new transmission output shaft and the 4x4 tail housing to 'adapt' a married transfer case to your existing 2wd NP435.

Then you'd need to completely disassemble and re-shim the gearbox to install it.

I'm not sure where you bolt the linkage or a divorced transfer case but I imagine you'll have to modify your own transmission crossmember and both drive shafts in that case.

Seems like a cool project.

Do you have a decent driveline shop in your area?

There are a few! Lucky for me I live just a short drive from Charlotte,NC. Tons of race shops etc. and even a few local to me. Realistically I want this 1 ton to be 4x4 but with all the labor, parts and things I’ll have to do since it’s a cab and chassis I think I’ll just try and find me a 150 4x4 manual with a 300 inline I feel like monetarily I would have the same in it as building what I currently have. I may still do the swap but. I’m a little discouraged now with all the roadblocks

There are a few! Lucky for me I live just a short drive from Charlotte,NC. Tons of race shops etc. and even a few local to me. Realistically I want this 1 ton to be 4x4 but with all the labor, parts and things I’ll have to do since it’s a cab and chassis I think I’ll just try and find me a 150 4x4 manual with a 300 inline I feel like monetarily I would have the same in it as building what I currently have. I may still do the swap but. I’m a little discouraged now with all the roadblocks

C&C doesn't make the difference.

It's that you have a 2wd frame.

In a 250 and above the 4wd models need front leaf springs.

There are no radius arms to locate the front axle.

C&C doesn't make the difference.

It's that you have a 2wd frame.

In a 250 and above the 4wd models need front leaf springs.

There are no radius arms to locate the front axle.

I can attest, you're making the right decision. I don't know if I would want to go through everything I've done to make my truck what it is, ever again. But I also said that about my old F150, and then I went and 4x4 swapped my F350 too. At least the F150 was all bolt-in.