Bullnose Forums

Cab and chassis f350 2wd to 4wd conversion

From what little I know it isn't easy as the F250/350 2wd frames are different than the 4wd frames. You should read this thread.

Things that are different (When swapping a 4x2 F250 F350 to 4x4):

-Shock Mounts

-Front Frame Horns

-Sway Bar (If equipped)

-Pitman Arm

-The bolt holes for 4x4 F250 and F350 trucks are NOT present on 4x2 frames and need to be drilled

-Driveshaft (Especially on C&C)

-Transmission

-Transmission crossmember. (F350 4x4 trucks use a different crossmember than F150/F250 4x4)

-C&C trucks use narrower spring packs out back and will need a C&C specific lift block for the rear

-4x2 Automatic trucks don't have the removable plate on the transmission tunnel (Doesn't apply to you)

There may be other things I'm forgetting.

The Cab and Chassis aspect doesn't really make a difference except for the rear lift blocks and the driveshaft (depends on your wheelbase)

Things that are different (When swapping a 4x2 F250 F350 to 4x4):

-Shock Mounts

-Front Frame Horns

-Sway Bar (If equipped)

-Pitman Arm

-The bolt holes for 4x4 F250 and F350 trucks are NOT present on 4x2 frames and need to be drilled

-Driveshaft (Especially on C&C)

-Transmission

-Transmission crossmember. (F350 4x4 trucks use a different crossmember than F150/F250 4x4)

-C&C trucks use narrower spring packs out back and will need a C&C specific lift block for the rear

-4x2 Automatic trucks don't have the removable plate on the transmission tunnel (Doesn't apply to you)

There may be other things I'm forgetting.

The Cab and Chassis aspect doesn't really make a difference except for the rear lift blocks and the driveshaft (depends on your wheelbase)

'86-'97 F350's (D60 solid axles w/ 8x6.5 hubs) used a front driveshaft w/ double cardan joint at the transfer case output.

They also had a panhard bar that needs a mount on the crossmember.

But (I'd think) the biggest challenge would be boxing the front of a 2wd frame and getting the shackle pockets right.

One option is an RSK like what Gary did with Big Blue.

He worked with SKY Off-road, as they hadn't perfected a kit for this before.

That adventure is well documented in Big Blue's Transformation here on the forum.

'86-'97 F350's (D60 solid axles w/ 8x6.5 hubs) used a front driveshaft w/ double cardan joint at the transfer case output.

They also had a panhard bar that needs a mount on the crossmember.

But (I'd think) the biggest challenge would be boxing the front of a 2wd frame and getting the shackle pockets right.

One option is an RSK like what Gary did with Big Blue.

He worked with SKY Off-road, as they hadn't perfected a kit for this before.

That adventure is well documented in Big Blue's Transformation here on the forum.

Good points, Jim. But there's a special thread for my Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install adventure. You can find bits and pieces of it in Big Blue's Transformation, but the Sky thread has the nitty gritty.

I’m also curious which axles, transfer case etc I should look for at the pull yard. I would like to do the conversion but no time soon I plan to part hunt until I have it all then tear it down and knock it out in a few weeks.

What wheelbase is your C&C? What's the R&P ratio?

You're going to want a '86-'97 D60 with the same ratio as your current rear axle

+ the springs, shackles and frame mounts.

The removable floor pan that has provision for a transfer case shifter + boot

Front and rear driveshafts + transmission crossmember.

Front shock towers, pitman arm and panhard bar from a 4wd 350 with solid axle ('86-97)

The 4x4 transmission, tailshaft adapter and transfer case from a 350, because the front output yoke is double cardan.

This likely means a T-19/1345 or 1356 combo because you have a linkage while the Zf-5 has an integrated hydraulic bellhousing and the bigger input shaft that won't work with your clutch.(the T-19 has a removable bellhousing with the standard Ford 'butterfly' bolt pattern)

Gary has information about 335 series flywheel swaps from Tim Meyer if you want to go down the 5-speed path, but you'd have to change the pedal box and add a master cylinder.

As Shaun said you need the front frame horns because they're pocketed for the spring shackles, unless you opt for Sky's frame box + RSK