Bullnose Forums

Broken Bellhousing Case

PXL_20231125_162231464.thumb.jpg.26252a8019775f3fe9036b66938e204e.jpg

81 F150 with a 460 here. Slowly working on the truck and was attempting to put the engine and tranny back together when I ended up snapping the right wing on the c6 Bellhousing. Bolt hole up top had already been broken when I bought so now it's down two places to mount. Is it pretty much scrap at this point or could it be sold or something? I have had my mind set on doing a zf5 switch to manual possibly but just to trying to see if anyr could be done with this c6 now that this happened. Any thoughts appreciated!

You can get used bare cases on Ebay for between $200 and $300. If you're familiar with transmissions, you can swap the internals into the new case. You could also pay a transmission shop to do it, but that may be costly.

Buying a used C6 is a gamble due to the age of these trucks and you never know how well they were taken care of.

You found out the hard way why you dont use the bolts to pull the motor & trans together :nabble_smiley_cry:

Do you have the part that broke off?

Is that also the part the pin fits into?

You could pull the trans and take it to a welder and have them weld it back in place.

If I was going to do that I would want to make sure it was lined up before welding.

The best way would be if the block was bolted to the trans but I cant really see that happening so ....

I think I would pull the flex plate and pull the motor plate and use that in place of the block and run nuts & bolts thru the plate and trans.

If you can get the pins out of the motor or get a 2nd set and run them thru the plate and trans to make sure it is lined up before welding.

Or if you have a 2nd motor plate you would not need to pull yours off.

The only other thing would be to get another case and swap / rebuild it.

Dave ----

You found out the hard way why you dont use the bolts to pull the motor & trans together :nabble_smiley_cry:

You could pull the trans and take it to a welder and have them weld it back in place.

If I was going to do that I would want to make sure it was lined up before welding.

The best way would be if the block was bolted to the trans but I cant really see that happening so ....

I think I would pull the flex plate and pull the motor plate and use that in place of the block and run nuts & bolts thru the plate and trans.

If you can get the pins out of the motor or get a 2nd set and run them thru the plate and trans to make sure it is lined up before welding.

Dave ----

I think I did it as I was jacking the trans up and it was being pressed against the firewall. I do have the part and Ill take the welding path into consideration thanks! I have a lift and a place I can marry the two outside of the truck so I will definitely do that soon. As of late, I have been getting back into bringing this thing back to life and realizing the variety of parts I have. Lot of research to make sure I have what I need and know what to do to avoid rookie mistakes like this going forward...

Dave ----

Aluminum castings (or castings in general) are a crap shoot when it comes to welding. Some castings will not weld... and any oil/crap absorbed by pores in the casting will cook out (along with all sorts of casting impurities) and can totally wreck things. Since this was a sudden break (not an old fatigue crack), maybe it hasn't absorbed too much (depends on how good the casting surface finish is and how much oil exposure it saw; no rear main or input shaft leaks?). Not a suggested beginnner's aluminum welding project!

Good luck... :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Aluminum castings (or castings in general) are a crap shoot when it comes to welding. Some castings will not weld... and any oil/crap absorbed by pores in the casting will cook out (along with all sorts of casting impurities) and can totally wreck things. Since this was a sudden break (not an old fatigue crack), maybe it hasn't absorbed too much (depends on how good the casting surface finish is and how much oil exposure it saw; no rear main or input shaft leaks?). Not a suggested beginnner's aluminum welding project!

Good luck... :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yea not a beginnner's aluminum welding project but a welder that dose welding all the time.

I have seen other transmission welded on so I cant see why his could not be welded but only the welder can make the final call.

Dave ----