Bullnose Forums

How do I disconnect the speedometer cable in my 85?

CDLong

I suspect the white "wire" is the shift indication cable. The outer sheath is brittle and easily broken, so be careful. But if I remember correctly you have a single screw that positions the wire on the steering column, and when you remove that you can take the loop on the end of the cable off of the pin on the steering column and the wire is free.

And if it does break, it's a bit pricey, but there is someone making good reproduction/upgraded indicator cables:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td89267

https://bluetruckparts.com/products/ic80r

Happy with the one in my truck at least.

If so, this is what I found in this manual:

Instrument cluster is out. To disconnect speedo cable, I lightly pushed the connector to the right & wiggled the plastic piece while pulling back on the cable. I found the gear position indicator bracket on on the left side of the steering column, (it is exposed when you remove the plastic cover on the steering column), removed the bolt and wiggled the bracket back & forth & up & down until I got it out of the column. The issue I have now is the clamp on the right side of the column. How do I get it open to remove the cable. Also, the housing the cable is in is broken. Do I need to replace the cable?Cable_from_Transmission.thumb.jpg.261f0311759ebf146737bf552cc6b46f.jpgCluster_cable_connector_2.thumb.jpg.bacdd7b88479c5951961791cc72f835c.jpgBracket_on_right_side_of_column_1.thumb.jpg.4f2d3e21906297c9c8c5d114a6dbacc8.jpgBracket_on_right_side_of_column_close_up.thumb.jpg.8f1fa1eed9349841564daac5d21669e5.jpgShift_indicator_brkt_on_column.thumb.jpg.2d1a4b3ae395e8292ae438bf48f6512c.jpg

Instrument cluster is out. To disconnect speedo cable, I lightly pushed the connector to the right & wiggled the plastic piece while pulling back on the cable. I found the gear position indicator bracket on on the left side of the steering column, (it is exposed when you remove the plastic cover on the steering column), removed the bolt and wiggled the bracket back & forth & up & down until I got it out of the column. The issue I have now is the clamp on the right side of the column. How do I get it open to remove the cable. Also, the housing the cable is in is broken. Do I need to replace the cable?

If the cable sheath is broken the shift indicator can't possibly read right.

Links to Blue Truck Parts and their eBay page are posted above.

This vendor has worked with us on window switches and door locks.

I can't speak for the shift Indicator cable because I own a manual truck but you might reply to one of the others (Gsmblue or ratdude) who have bought them and ask if they are happy with their purchase.

I can't speak for the shift Indicator cable because I own a manual truck but you might reply to one of the others (Gsmblue or ratdude) who have bought them and ask if they are happy with their purchase.

Very happy with mine.

To the OP: don't try repairing the old one... BTDT and it didn't work long term. Very much a case of "buy once, cry once". The reproduction is a 3D printed and enhanced design (added plastic to critical areas that like to break).

Thanks Jim.