Bullnose Forums

How do I disconnect the speedometer cable in my 85?

CDLong

Got the instrument cluster almost out. I can't get the speedometer cable disconnected. Found a video, he said to squeeze the fitting, but the cameraman does show him disconnecting it?

I have tried the following, (maybe not correctly?), it's still connected:

1.Yes, you squeeze the flat side of the clip and pull to disengage it. It is difficult to squeeze it enough. I had to use a pair of pliers to get mine to come off

2.While pushing the cable towards the speedo, press sideways on the white plastic collar, and then pull the cable out of the speedo. There is a little tab on the inside of the collar that holds it on

3.There's a white clip on your speedo cable behind your dash that you have to lift up, then the speedo cable pulls out.

4.On the speedo there is an indent that the white clip clips onto. I push the white clip over to one side and kind of wiggle it. It's kind of hard to explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=9vBFGdHTcUUSpeedometer_cable.thumb.jpg.3fb6188bcb8bb56ed58d80e0690b445e.jpgd

speedo_cable_7c26efc4f497d2d2fce7ac75c6683242df29b320.thumb.jpg.c4ba916e3e5895497e37612ae766db1e.jpg

I didn't watch the video... yet.

You need to lever the plastic collar to the side.

The big part fits over the boss on the back of the speedo. The collar locks into the groove.

Check out the Speedo Cable tab on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometer Cables & Gears: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-gears-cables--sensors.html

Check out the Speedo Cable tab on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometer Cables & Gears: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-gears-cables--sensors.html

Thanks Gary. This is excellent. I'll search here first in the future. I think I don't have slack in my cable. One more question, there's a white wire on the bottom of the cluster that goes up the steering column. How do I disconnect it?

I think Gary got it more right than I did. :nabble_smiley_blush:

The way I phrased it makes it seem the inner collar is the lock when in reality it is the fixed end of the cable.

It's all good Jim. The most important thing to me is I get the help I need here so I don't throw in the towel when I get between a rock & a hard place. I am frustrated that I didn't do a better job inspecting Big Red before my purchase, but it was a case of once I saw the truck, I knew I wanted that truck. Know what I mean?

There's a white wire on the bottom of the cluster that goes up the steering column. How do I disconnect it?

During the last year, I disassembled and reassembled my cluster so many times that I could do it with my eyes closed, and if there was such a race I could win it.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

That said, I suspect that you have a three on tree (the shift lever on the steering column), ‘cause in my case I don’t have such cable or wire linked to the steering column.

Am I right?

Thanks Gary. This is excellent. I'll search here first in the future. I think I don't have slack in my cable. One more question, there's a white wire on the bottom of the cluster that goes up the steering column. How do I disconnect it?

I suspect the white "wire" is the shift indication cable. The outer sheath is brittle and easily broken, so be careful. But if I remember correctly you have a single screw that positions the wire on the steering column, and when you remove that you can take the loop on the end of the cable off of the pin on the steering column and the wire is free.

I suspect the white "wire" is the shift indication cable. The outer sheath is brittle and easily broken, so be careful. But if I remember correctly you have a single screw that positions the wire on the steering column, and when you remove that you can take the loop on the end of the cable off of the pin on the steering column and the wire is free.

If so, this is what I found in this manual:

IMG_0110.jpeg.b63c29b1e2677ed457dc890b677e7b0e.jpeg

IMG_0109.thumb.jpeg.2958bc4a532fc8b2dbd8badb46a71a2a.jpeg