Bullnose Forums

2G ALT, New VR connector with 3 wires

Is this what you had in mind?

And, by the way, I think I see how the error occurred. On the left, below, you can see the regulator/alternator wiring from the 1985 EVTM with a 1G alternator and an idiot light. On the right you'll see the wiring for an 85 with an ammeter. Note that with a warning light the LG/R goes to "I" but with an ammeter it goes to "S". However, in '86 there were no idiot lights, just ammeters.

That looks fantastic Gary! :nabble_anim_claps:

I do think you should make a notation that the actual EVTM was incorrect.(like with the tach I mentioned)

Yes, I understand the difference between how a regulator is wired for ammeter v/s idiot light, and that in '86 even base models got an ammeter.

But it really makes you wonder how these EVTM's get laid out and published without any proof reading by an engineer!?!?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks fantastic Gary! :nabble_anim_claps:

I do think you should make a notation that the actual EVTM was incorrect.(like with the tach I mentioned)

Yes, I understand the difference between how a regulator is wired for ammeter v/s idiot light, and that in '86 even base models got an ammeter.

But it really makes you wonder how these EVTM's get laid out and published without any proof reading by an engineer!?!?

I agree about the note. But I tried to put it in using Paint, which I used to edit the schematic, and it came out very fuzzy. Several times. I'll go to the shop and use Photoshop in a bit.

As for why the error, I didn't realize that the wiring was that different between idiot light and ammeter trucks. So I'm glad I found that as I learned several things today.

And proof reading was apparently a lost art. You'd think that something to be used by their techs would get a whole lot of attention in order to be perfect. Nope.

As for why the error, I didn't realize that the wiring was that different between idiot light and ammeter trucks.

I've been saying this about the 1G regulator since my first days on FTE.

Not many people were able to grasp that (Dave Franklin, Jim's Rebel and Paul Conanski did)

Fortunately the dreaded firestarter only afflicted the '86 Bullnose trucks. (ALL the Bricknose and some of the Aeronose except those with the ambulance alternator were cursed)

Fortunately the dreaded firestarter only afflicted the '86 Bullnose trucks. (ALL the Bricknose and some of the Aeronose except those with the ambulance alternator were cursed)

Friends don't let Friends buy G2 Alternators :nabble_smiley_whistling:

👍👍👍👍

I really appreciate you bringing our attention to the error in the 1986 EVTM

That darn 2G haunted me for 15 years, until i finally realized there was an expedient solution.

It's a shame that Ryan (of RJM fame) vanished without a trace.

He set me up with a very nice kit to adapt the Busmann 175A Megafuse to my truck.

Friends don't let Friends buy G2 Alternators :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Back when I first started Bullnosing I bought a refurb'd 2G alternator thinking I had something. I did, and still do, as I've not found anyone silly enough to take it off my hands. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Anyway, is this what we are looking for, Jim?

Page_15_Edited_For_LG-R.thumb.jpg.9d780a7ffafa9168e0b7793303f39c00.jpg

👍👍👍👍

I really appreciate you bringing our attention to the error in the 1986 EVTM

That darn 2G haunted me for 15 years, until i finally realized there was an expedient solution.

It's a shame that Ryan (of RJM fame) vanished without a trace.

He set me up with a very nice kit to adapt the Busmann 175A Megafuse to my truck.

Hi Gary

I got your email with the new drawing. Looks perfect, I also like the idea of the added note you put in there.

Your site always has the best documentation.

Jim #2

Back when I first started Bullnosing I bought a refurb'd 2G alternator thinking I had something. I did, and still do, as I've not found anyone silly enough to take it off my hands. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Anyway, is this what we are looking for, Jim?

Yes.

And I really appreciate all the effort you put in to making this site the authoritative source for Bullnose content on the web. 👍👍👍

Thank you Gary! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Yes.

And I really appreciate all the effort you put in to making this site the authoritative source for Bullnose content on the web. 👍👍👍

Thank you Gary! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Thanks, Jims. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Pages 15 (gas) and 21 (diesel) of the 1986 EVTM have been updated. And I'm happy to have correct documentation. So when we find errors please let me know.