Bullnose Forums

Frame is flexing on the driver's side

CDLong

How did you prep the metal?

I first used a wire wheel to get it as clean as I could. Then, I just sprayed on a rust reformer/primer - which I have really come to like and think it is doing a good job. After that I paint it with a coat or two...I have been using Hammered paint on frame parts.

Up here in the north with all of the salt, I try to protect anything I take off.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n152314/Screenshot_20240424_071210_Amazon_Shopping.jpg

I lucked out. Bought the paint before I saw your post, but that's what I got.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Gary. I know some, but not a lot about our Bullnoses.

The radius arm bracket is mounted with four 7/16 fine thread Grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts. Anti-seize was applied and torqued to 80 ft-lbs. Now I can't get the radius arm into the bracket. I have the come along hooked to the Silverado, and one- 1inch ratchet strap to lift the arm and two- 1 inch ratchet straps pulling the arm towards the passenger's side of the truck. Both straps are as tight as I can get them. Something is wrong somewhere. I'm not comfortable puttin' a come along on to pull the radius arm towards the passenger's side. I still think the bolt that retains the bottom of the coil spring needs to be loosened and the radius arm moved to aline with the bracket. Remember, this is the side that had the split plastic spacer. The passenger's side radius arm has the nut removed, both shocks are disconnected and the coil spring lock at the top has been removed. Passenger's side axle has been dropped.Comealong_in_place.thumb.jpg.f6d44ed4cfd3a65afe38ef8f69cf9225.jpgRatchet_strap_to_lift_radius_arm.thumb.jpg.fd35701187f72022c7ee83b717bccc83.jpg2_ratchet_straps_pulling_horizontal.thumb.jpg.d41673699c23d5e7b9d2dc3ba706f058.jpgRadius_arm_to_bracket_clearance.thumb.jpg.44cb0bd11ceea42d2c5676bc833bcf4f.jpgHorizonal_clearance.thumb.jpg.6574490fa4fefa300b9826f06da04123.jpgDriver_s_side.thumb.jpg.f40c811f6d647554125ac534ceff3cd6.jpg

Good job! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Gary. I know some, but not a lot about our Bullnoses.

The radius arm bracket is mounted with four 7/16 fine thread Grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts. Anti-seize was applied and torqued to 80 ft-lbs. Now I can't get the radius arm into the bracket. I have the come along hooked to the Silverado, and one- 1inch ratchet strap to lift the arm and two- 1 inch ratchet straps pulling the arm towards the passenger's side of the truck. Both straps are as tight as I can get them. Something is wrong somewhere. I'm not comfortable puttin' a come along on to pull the radius arm towards the passenger's side. I still think the bolt that retains the bottom of the coil spring needs to be loosened and the radius arm moved to aline with the bracket. Remember, this is the side that had the split plastic spacer. The passenger's side radius arm has the nut removed, both shocks are disconnected and the coil spring lock at the top has been removed. Passenger's side axle has been dropped.

maybe I'm missing something. but I'm sorry to say that the real benefit of removing the bracket was to slip it onto the end of the arm first then bolt it to the frame. I have not had the issues you are having and not being right there I cannot see what you are fighting. two things to try. I can see that you have it pulled far enough forward. the strap pulling to the offside will do better as close to the end of the arm as possible to get the best leverage. then with it loaded, back off the come-along a link. as it moves rearward it should also turn in.

maybe I'm missing something. but I'm sorry to say that the real benefit of removing the bracket was to slip it onto the end of the arm first then bolt it to the frame. I have not had the issues you are having and not being right there I cannot see what you are fighting. two things to try. I can see that you have it pulled far enough forward. the strap pulling to the offside will do better as close to the end of the arm as possible to get the best leverage. then with it loaded, back off the come-along a link. as it moves rearward it should also turn in.

are you still on the first side? given the struggle that you are having I'm going to back up in my suggestion. the only real component that you are fighting in reality is the axle pivot bushing. is it possible that they need replacing also? if so, stop and drop the axle pivot point. It seems daunting yet it's just one more bolt. at that point you can renew it and then slip the assembly back much more easily. radius arm inserted then axle pivot reinstalled. its heavy and you WILL need another jack.

If I remove the bracket, I'll need 6 inch long bolts to pull the bracket back to the frame. It would take some time to torque the two bolts down evenly so as not to deform the bracket. Even if I was to attempt that, I don't know that the arm will move. That baby is solid. I'll try the strap at the end of the arm.

If I remove the bracket, I'll need 6 inch long bolts to pull the bracket back to the frame. It would take some time to torque the two bolts down evenly so as not to deform the bracket. Even if I was to attempt that, I don't know that the arm will move. That baby is solid. I'll try the strap at the end of the arm.

Yes, still on the first side. I'll have to research the axle pivot bushing. Don't know what that is.

Yes, still on the first side. I'll have to research the axle pivot bushing. Don't know what that is.

by all means don't change plans with the straps loaded. on twin I beam and twin traction beam suspensions the inner ends are articulating on a pivot bolt through a pivot bushing and this bolt goes through a saddle on the frame. the driver side is actually mounted in front of the passenger side and the pivot mount is on the passenger side. this does sound wonky but once you look at it this way it will all make sense. the passenger side is behind and pivots on the driver side. this "x" wing type of suspension is unique to ford. it might be fair to say that it needs pivot bushings if they have any real mileage on them but mostly that they are rubber and 40 years old. they are often overlooked. they are not an easy replacement but with a ball joint press and patience it will go faster than expected.

PS. never walk away and leave this strapped to another vehicle. I know you wouldn't but maybe someone reading along needed to read it.

by all means don't change plans with the straps loaded. on twin I beam and twin traction beam suspensions the inner ends are articulating on a pivot bolt through a pivot bushing and this bolt goes through a saddle on the frame. the driver side is actually mounted in front of the passenger side and the pivot mount is on the passenger side. this does sound wonky but once you look at it this way it will all make sense. the passenger side is behind and pivots on the driver side. this "x" wing type of suspension is unique to ford. it might be fair to say that it needs pivot bushings if they have any real mileage on them but mostly that they are rubber and 40 years old. they are often overlooked. they are not an easy replacement but with a ball joint press and patience it will go faster than expected.

PS. never walk away and leave this strapped to another vehicle. I know you wouldn't but maybe someone reading along needed to read it.

Thanks Matt, I'll inspect on Sunday. Good point about tied to another vehicle. I wouldn't, but I had a good laugh thinkin' what my wife would due to me after I drug the Ford down her concrete driveway. 🤣

Thanks Matt, I'll inspect on Sunday. Good point about tied to another vehicle. I wouldn't, but I had a good laugh thinkin' what my wife would due to me after I drug the Ford down her concrete driveway. 🤣

well crap happens! and it happens quick! after my own screw up yesterday, I'm refreshed as a safety officer haha. after getting myself sorted out and venting. I told my wife that she can expect to find the garage door locked a bit more often and to not be offended, just that I cannot handle interruptions. especially while building a transmission. that is precisely why I do transmissions as homework and engines at the shop.