Bullnose Forums

Frame is flexing on the driver's side

CDLong

That's a radius arm bushing and bracket.

My Granddaughter wanted to help with the Ford, (she gets her license next year and says Papaw has one cool truck), so I had her turn the steering wheel side to side while I watched the suspension. Look what rotated from the inside of the mount. Any recommendations on what to buy to replace both sides? I got a feelin' this is another can of worms I opened. Don't look like they'll just slip in.Driver_s_side.thumb.jpg.8d35cd846c99f30f3ceba71eed296c2f.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a radius arm bushing and bracket.

My Granddaughter wanted to help with the Ford, (she gets her license next year and says Papaw has one cool truck), so I had her turn the steering wheel side to side while I watched the suspension. Look what rotated from the inside of the mount. Any recommendations on what to buy to replace both sides? I got a feelin' this is another can of worms I opened. Don't look like they'll just slip in.

There are any number of threads about radius arm bushing replacement, but I don't often have anything to say about the lighter coil sprung trucks.

The leaf sprung 250/350's are already "light" to me.

Someone? Anyone, want to help this gentleman???

I need to get back to my axle rebuild before the rain starts.

There are any number of threads about radius arm bushing replacement, but I don't often have anything to say about the lighter coil sprung trucks.

Thanks Jim, from what I've found I have to remove the brackets, but I'll keep searchin'. Lookin' at purchasing these:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.7109

Sway Bar Bushings - Style A - 22.22mm (7/8 Inch) Diameter - 2 Inch Tall

Manufacturer: Energy Suspension

Part Number:4.5119

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5119

Thanks Jim, from what I've found I have to remove the brackets, but I'll keep searchin'. Lookin' at purchasing these:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.7109

Sway Bar Bushings - Style A - 22.22mm (7/8 Inch) Diameter - 2 Inch Tall

Manufacturer: Energy Suspension

Part Number:4.5119

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5119

You don't have to remove the brackets. I've done it, and others have as well, by using a come-along or ratchet strap attached to the bumper to pull the TTB forward far enough to get the radius arm out of the bracket.

You don't have to remove the brackets. I've done it, and others have as well, by using a come-along or ratchet strap attached to the bumper to pull the TTB forward far enough to get the radius arm out of the bracket.

Thanks Gary, I wasn't lookin' forward to removin' the brackets. An comment on the two bushing sets I thinkin' of purchasing?

Thanks Gary, I wasn't lookin' forward to removin' the brackets. An comment on the two bushing sets I thinkin' of purchasing?

I've used Energy Suspension bushings and mounts and like them - in black. Big Blue came with several of them in red and I really, really didn't like that.

I've used Energy Suspension bushings and mounts and like them - in black. Big Blue came with several of them in red and I really, really didn't like that.

Thanks Gary, I'm sold!

Thanks Gary, I'm sold!

just checking in. you are definitely needing radius arm bushings. it's a very common thing at this age. like Jims knee. Gary gave the best tip. use a come-along to pull the axle/arm assembly forward. of course, you will have the wheels off and the truck on jackstands under the frame and not the suspension. but I will add one more tip. when the radius arm comes out of the bracket it may pop out moving outward also. this may require the assistance of a ratchet strap to pull it back in line so have one handy. I like using ratchet straps because you can pull one part of the truck against the frame usually and do it controlled rather than prying against the weight of a truck on stands.

as to the "huck bolt". I see that they are rivets on yours. and that you cleaned them with a wire wheel. however, in the picture the one in the huck bolt position has a shadow and what looks to be red dusting. this may just be my perspective but check to see if anything moves in this area.

just checking in. you are definitely needing radius arm bushings. it's a very common thing at this age. like Jims knee. Gary gave the best tip. use a come-along to pull the axle/arm assembly forward. of course, you will have the wheels off and the truck on jackstands under the frame and not the suspension. but I will add one more tip. when the radius arm comes out of the bracket it may pop out moving outward also. this may require the assistance of a ratchet strap to pull it back in line so have one handy. I like using ratchet straps because you can pull one part of the truck against the frame usually and do it controlled rather than prying against the weight of a truck on stands.

as to the "huck bolt". I see that they are rivets on yours. and that you cleaned them with a wire wheel. however, in the picture the one in the huck bolt position has a shadow and what looks to be red dusting. this may just be my perspective but check to see if anything moves in this area.

Thanks Matt, good info for me.

Thanks Matt, good info for me.

Some more questions- Should I reuse or replace the hardware? Should I use anti-seize compound? What size is the nut on the radius arm? Gotta get a socket. Thanks!