Bullnose Forums

Frame is flexing on the driver's side

CDLong

I'm reminded of Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife, this is a knife.

I don't think you have a crack, you have a break. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to repair the part you have in the truck. With the steering box out you should have a fairly straight shot at the break. But you might want to reinforce it, if you can, by welding a piece over the break after you weld it up.

And, when you pull the box check behind it for breaks as with that break lower down things are bound to flex up above - and eventually break there as well.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n142349/Steering_Box_Mount.jpg

Thanks Gary. Mount will get looked at with a fine tooth comb when the steering box is removed. I have seen several forum posts where the steering box has been braced to the engine cross member. Do you have anything like that on your trucks? The weld you have the arrows pointed toward looks bad on my truck. Will definitely check it out.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reminded of Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife, this is a knife.

I don't think you have a crack, you have a break. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to repair the part you have in the truck. With the steering box out you should have a fairly straight shot at the break. But you might want to reinforce it, if you can, by welding a piece over the break after you weld it up.

And, when you pull the box check behind it for breaks as with that break lower down things are bound to flex up above - and eventually break there as well.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n142349/Steering_Box_Mount.jpg

Thanks Gary. Mount will get looked at with a fine tooth comb when the steering box is removed. I have seen several forum posts where the steering box has been braced to the engine cross member. Do you have anything like that on your trucks? The weld you have the arrows pointed toward looks bad on my truck. Will definitely check it out.

Yes, I do on Dad's truck. If you haven't read the thread I linked to above then start reading here for the bit on the brace.

Yes, I do on Dad's truck. If you haven't read the thread I linked to above then start reading here for the bit on the brace.

Thanks again Gary! I'll look around to find someone to do the welding. I can get the steering box off, but I'm a parts changer with no welding experience. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks again Gary! I'll look around to find someone to do the welding. I can get the steering box off, but I'm a parts changer with no welding experience. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Hopefully you can find someone that can come to you 'cause it isn't going to be easy to take your truck to them. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

• 4 months later...

Hopefully you can find someone that can come to you 'cause it isn't going to be easy to take your truck to them. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Now that it's warmin' up, this morning, I took pictures as best as possible all around the steering box mount. The only break I am able to see is the original break. I find it hard to believe that break is causing the frame to flex like it does. I'm removing the cross brace the sway bar mounts to and having it straightened as best as possible. I feel the cross brace being bent up like it is is also a major cause for the steering issue. Am I barkin' up the wrong tree? I have more pics of the area around the steering box if you need to see them.Steering_box_mount_crack_1.thumb.jpg.d8f16cfc3714cd04816b76ef0d6f5d01.jpgSway_bar_mount_1.thumb.jpg.29e69690a52a0cb704c9d8accdcbc3c1.jpgSway_bar_mount_from_bottom.thumb.jpg.b2f3505f1b871c5574330d68d096a524.jpg

Now that it's warmin' up, this morning, I took pictures as best as possible all around the steering box mount. The only break I am able to see is the original break. I find it hard to believe that break is causing the frame to flex like it does. I'm removing the cross brace the sway bar mounts to and having it straightened as best as possible. I feel the cross brace being bent up like it is is also a major cause for the steering issue. Am I barkin' up the wrong tree? I have more pics of the area around the steering box if you need to see them.

Sway bar and cross member are unbolted. How do I get the fasteners that hold the bolts off so I can remove the bolts? They kinda look like internal lock washers? Tried picks and small flathead screwdrivers but I don't want to mess the washers, (?), up.20240408_123500.thumb.jpg.bbb8a38a62dca4f9d56f454f3f84049b.jpg20240408_111316.thumb.jpg.c5a550cfbeca6f492c8567bf01ceded8.jpg20240408_123450.thumb.jpg.b7f52d238249cde15ebe17d676a8d2c1.jpg

Now that it's warmin' up, this morning, I took pictures as best as possible all around the steering box mount. The only break I am able to see is the original break. I find it hard to believe that break is causing the frame to flex like it does. I'm removing the cross brace the sway bar mounts to and having it straightened as best as possible. I feel the cross brace being bent up like it is is also a major cause for the steering issue. Am I barkin' up the wrong tree? I have more pics of the area around the steering box if you need to see them.

Gary has (SURPRISE!) a very detailed thread about the Huck bolt, and this very repair

I, personally, think he went too far (as he does with almost everything) but it does show the problem in detail.

Gary has (SURPRISE!) a very detailed thread about the Huck bolt, and this very repair

I, personally, think he went too far (as he does with almost everything) but it does show the problem in detail.

Thanks Jim. I remember seein' something about huck bolts. I worked for an outfit years ago that used them to install 2nd & third steering axles in mobile cranes.

Sway bar and cross member are unbolted. How do I get the fasteners that hold the bolts off so I can remove the bolts? They kinda look like internal lock washers? Tried picks and small flathead screwdrivers but I don't want to mess the washers, (?), up.

these are retention washers and are serrated at the inner edge. there are six cuts which are flexed over the threads. these are often used as third hands like on brake drums. it speeds up mass production. it could also be helpful in the field. that being said, when they are 40 years old, they can be a pain. get a slim putty knife or slim taper screwdriver and pry up whichever edge you can. basically, you want to snap them. peel them off with needle nose and carry on. although the crossmember/sway bar mount is unlikely to have much effect on the frame flex. it does not actually give much structure. secondary at best. in fact, many don't have this brace at all and who knows how many have been deleted after being bent by improper attachment of tow ropes or chains. yours looks to have been incorrectly helped out of a ditch with a chain. the fact that you have identified a break is the real focus. removing the steering gear may be needed to gain access . but do look up the thread here on "huck bolt".

these are retention washers and are serrated at the inner edge. there are six cuts which are flexed over the threads. these are often used as third hands like on brake drums. it speeds up mass production. it could also be helpful in the field. that being said, when they are 40 years old, they can be a pain. get a slim putty knife or slim taper screwdriver and pry up whichever edge you can. basically, you want to snap them. peel them off with needle nose and carry on. although the crossmember/sway bar mount is unlikely to have much effect on the frame flex. it does not actually give much structure. secondary at best. in fact, many don't have this brace at all and who knows how many have been deleted after being bent by improper attachment of tow ropes or chains. yours looks to have been incorrectly helped out of a ditch with a chain. the fact that you have identified a break is the real focus. removing the steering gear may be needed to gain access . but do look up the thread here on "huck bolt".

Thanks Matt. I found the article on hock bolts. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1307036-dads-frame-and-suspension.html I'll remove the wheel & tire today and start lookin'.