Bullnose Forums

Frame is flexing on the driver's side

CDLong

very good. I'm glad that you were able to complete the task that you began. I do think that you took the long way around, but a success is a success.

While assembling the passenger's side, I found another issue. The bracket that the right front fender bolts to is rotted out. Can anyone give me the proper name of the bracket so I can try to find one? Looks like my rivet grindin' days ain't over. Right_front_bracket_1.thumb.jpg.6016df22279af8e8af9568011aa7043f.jpgRight_front_frame_bracket_4.thumb.jpg.df681d916327c2a8cafcb02fc3d493ff.jpgRight_front_frame_bracket_5.thumb.jpg.9994f6214dd8b300f734fec9cbb28392.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced the two on Big Bro.

LMC calls it “BRACKET-RADIATOR CORE MOUNT”, part #45-1465.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n154223/IMG_0141.jpeg

Thanks Jeff.

I replaced the two on Big Bro.

LMC calls it “BRACKET-RADIATOR CORE MOUNT”, part #45-1465.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n154223/IMG_0141.jpeg

Thanks Jeff.

Good job, Jeff. The radiator support bolts to that and the fender bolts to the radiator support.

Good job, Jeff. The radiator support bolts to that and the fender bolts to the radiator support.

Back on all fours. Have to torque the 4 bolts securing the radius arm bracket to 70 ft lbs., install sway bar with new bushings, locks and connecting links, then pull forward at least 10 feet and torque radius arm nuts to 100 ft lbs. Played the devil gettin' the nuts on the bracket inside the frame because the Cat was in the way. Finally used a long extension, swivel joint, short socket with grease in it to hold the nut.Back_on_all_fours.thumb.jpg.5f278251c7945776b65c73d749e2475c.jpg

Back on all fours. Have to torque the 4 bolts securing the radius arm bracket to 70 ft lbs., install sway bar with new bushings, locks and connecting links, then pull forward at least 10 feet and torque radius arm nuts to 100 ft lbs. Played the devil gettin' the nuts on the bracket inside the frame because the Cat was in the way. Finally used a long extension, swivel joint, short socket with grease in it to hold the nut.

Progress!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

good that you noticed the rusted core support mount. bronco graveyard sells a repair for them. it's basically a weld in washer with the proper hex center. all things considered I still prefer to replace the support. rivet grinding and all. but with that much rust I would expect that the core support bushings bolts are rusted badly too. cut them. trying to get to the head of the bolt or the nut is an access P.I.T.A! not to be a bearer of bad news but inspect the front cab mounts also. they are often as bad as the core support mounts. they have lived the same life.

good that you noticed the rusted core support mount. bronco graveyard sells a repair for them. it's basically a weld in washer with the proper hex center. all things considered I still prefer to replace the support. rivet grinding and all. but with that much rust I would expect that the core support bushings bolts are rusted badly too. cut them. trying to get to the head of the bolt or the nut is an access P.I.T.A! not to be a bearer of bad news but inspect the front cab mounts also. they are often as bad as the core support mounts. they have lived the same life.

I will check them, thanks Matt! LMC has the bracket, bushings and all the hardware. A few things I would have done differently. I wouldn't have taken both sides down at once. The driver's side gave me a lot of headaches. I completed the driver's side, mounted wheel and tire, and when I assembled the passenger's side. All I had to do was jack the radius arm up and the holes were alined. No fighting the bracket. I wouldn't have tried to just replace the radius arm bushings, I would have left the wheels and tires on and ground off the rivets and removed the brackets. I would have used flanged lock nuts on the bracket bolts, Then after I had them tight, I may not have needed a backup wrench. Backup wrench can be a PITA to get off once torque is reached. You guys get ready for a new thread, brakes are next.

I will check them, thanks Matt! LMC has the bracket, bushings and all the hardware. A few things I would have done differently. I wouldn't have taken both sides down at once. The driver's side gave me a lot of headaches. I completed the driver's side, mounted wheel and tire, and when I assembled the passenger's side. All I had to do was jack the radius arm up and the holes were alined. No fighting the bracket. I wouldn't have tried to just replace the radius arm bushings, I would have left the wheels and tires on and ground off the rivets and removed the brackets. I would have used flanged lock nuts on the bracket bolts, Then after I had them tight, I may not have needed a backup wrench. Backup wrench can be a PITA to get off once torque is reached. You guys get ready for a new thread, brakes are next.

I just replaced my radiator suports (parts from LMC) and thwy were perfect. A torch to take off the rivets and it went fairly well.

20240224_124924.jpg.4d13dff982d6a1307ccd85ed7f082365.jpg