Bullnose Forums

Defective ignition lock and the and the consequences

ReneH

The 1986 EVTM always has the wire colors and circuits numbered.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html

Id say circuit 3 (light green and white)

Hey Jim, you were on the right way!

I have changed a light green cable with one black dot with one that was also light green and has two black dots...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Now everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Jim, you were on the right way!

I have changed a light green cable with one black dot with one that was also light green and has two black dots...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Now everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad you got it figured out, Rene! :nabble_anim_claps:

Apologies if I've mis-identified the wire colour.

I only have the diagram shown to work from.

I'm glad you got it figured out, Rene! :nabble_anim_claps:

Apologies if I've mis-identified the wire colour.

I only have the diagram shown to work from.

Thanks, but no, your color was right! I've described the cable colors/markings that comes from the switch...

20231118_102248.jpg.ed741c8f66ae4568fa8ca6ae7d9af8be.jpg

20231118_102301.jpg.b0fbbcbc0a247fe08396ee69ffb50453.jpg

I hope it is okay to piggy back off this. My '86 with tilt column broke the exact same way last night. I wired in a push button to start it for now. Everything works like it should, other than due to the broken actuator, I cant get the key to push the switch hard enough to start it. Acc works, run works, steering lock works, it's a manual so no issue going into gear. Is there any issue leaving this as a temporary fix?

My column needs an overhaul and I don't have the time at the moment to do it. I hate to break it down twice if this 'fix' can hold me over

I hope it is okay to piggy back off this. My '86 with tilt column broke the exact same way last night. I wired in a push button to start it for now. Everything works like it should, other than due to the broken actuator, I cant get the key to push the switch hard enough to start it. Acc works, run works, steering lock works, it's a manual so no issue going into gear. Is there any issue leaving this as a temporary fix?

My column needs an overhaul and I don't have the time at the moment to do it. I hate to break it down twice if this 'fix' can hold me over

It's fine to ask.

We're well known for tangents and drifting subjects.

The only issue i can think is that (depending on how you've got it wired) it may bypass the clutch safety interlock.

If your connections are all at the ignition switch then even that is good. 👍

If you remove the cuff from the column, you can easily push the rod, that controls the ignition switch...you only have to turn the key to move the rod. If it's in on position, you can push the rod to start...

That's what I've done.

If you remove the cuff from the column, you can easily push the rod, that controls the ignition switch...you only have to turn the key to move the rod. If it's in on position, you can push the rod to start...

That's what I've done.

I forgot to mention that my clutch safety is bypassed anyways so I can start the truck without getting in.

I did remove my collar and start it with the rod to get home, it worked but i wired the button to make things easier for now