Bullnose Forums

Jim's Lower Steering Shaft Q&A

Gary Lewis

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody wants a guinea pig to try something from a vendor/eBay source/etc for fit, I'm about to rebuild my '81's steering. Main goal is a steering box rebuild but I figured I'd replace the shaft while I had it apart. I don't mind buying something that doesn't work out / can't be confirmed if it helps the cause to confirm that.

Please take lots of pics and post them. Like where you cut parts off, where you weld them on, how you get the phasing right, etc. We can add to the page.

Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And, speaking of part numbers, I added the entries for the Broncos. What do you see here?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n142135/MPC_Lower_Steering_Shaft_Entries_3.jpg

Ok, y'all missed it. The catalog told us that the later E8TZ 3B676-A shaft would fit our trucks. We just didn't look at where they hid it - in the Bronco section. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But they don't say it'll work for the 80 and 81 trucks, although I can't see why not. The steering box is the same and I put an '81 column in Big Blue and it hooked up to the Borgeson shaft just fine, so...

The catalog told us that the later E8TZ 3B676-A shaft would fit our trucks.

Gary, when I replaced Big Bro's lower shaft, the NOS part came in its original box.

On the picts:

• The original joints zoomed

• The original and replacement shafts

• The Ford box with the part number of the NOS:

IMG_7018.jpg.414ea860f2e491633481170cfd8178b1.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg.744cee512eedf0f3192e00b399eff32d.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg.89ac166973c736456b8c0197cdff249d.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg.a2ea2c4d994c7a8e3339bd774ed496d0.jpg

The catalog told us that the later E8TZ 3B676-A shaft would fit our trucks.

Gary, when I replaced Big Bro's lower shaft, the NOS part came in its original box.

On the picts:

• The original joints zoomed

• The original and replacement shafts

• The Ford box with the part number of the NOS:

Yep, that's exactly what I expected. The boot is split on the original one and I'll bet the rag joint was loose.

And the box for the new one says "E8TZ 3B676-A", which is the Bricknose one and is what I recommend we use - unless you have deep pockets and want to buy a Borgeson, or want to create your own like Jim did.