Bullnose Forums

Jim's Lower Steering Shaft Q&A

Gary Lewis

From what I see there's: "1982/88-also replace 3524 & 3E715, tilt wheel only." 3524 is Shaft assy, (steering column), meaning the lower shaft in the steering column. And 3E715 is Actuator (steering column lock lever).
You seemed to suggest that 3524 was the lower column.But, as we all know, EVERY Ford lower column carries the same 3B676 number...
I anticipated some confusion. So maybe I need to make bold what the MPC says and underline what I said?

"3524 is Shaft assy, (steering column), meaning the lower shaft in the steering column."

Does that help?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I anticipated some confusion. So maybe I need to make bold what the MPC says and underline what I said?

"3524 is Shaft assy, (steering column), meaning the lower shaft in the steering column."

Does that help?
To me the lower shaft of the steering column is what we're talking about.If it's the NOT hinged part -above the double D joint- that penetrates the firewall I think it's not worth mentioning. (but thanks for clarifying)

To me the lower shaft of the steering column is what we're talking about.

If it's the NOT hinged part -above the double D joint- that penetrates the firewall I think it's not worth mentioning. (but thanks for clarifying)

I think you are right. I'm not sure where I came up with "lower shaft in the steering column". There are actually two shafts in the tilt columns, but they are both part of 3524 and don't appear to be available separately.

Given that I've changed the wording to '3524 is "Shaft assy, (steering column)", meaning the upper shaft, the one in the steering column.' Does that work? Is it still messy? Suggestions?

And, I've updated the page a bunch of different ways, so please take a look. I'd like to get this nailed down and move on.

I think you are right. I'm not sure where I came up with "lower shaft in the steering column". There are actually two shafts in the tilt columns, but they are both part of 3524 and don't appear to be available separately.

Given that I've changed the wording to '3524 is "Shaft assy, (steering column)", meaning the upper shaft, the one in the steering column.' Does that work? Is it still messy? Suggestions?

And, I've updated the page a bunch of different ways, so please take a look. I'd like to get this nailed down and move on.

One OTHER problem that causes steering slop is what Cory mentioned.

The metal leaf springs (shims) in the telescoping section can break and rattle around.

Otherwise, I think you're good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good catch. I'll add something about that and use this pic:

Ok, unless someone finds something else I think I'm done. I've added the bit about the spring as well as included it on the parts number page.

And, speaking of part numbers, I added the entries for the Broncos. What do you see here?

MPC_Lower_Steering_Shaft_Entries_3.thumb.jpg.8ed1064fa9f5a7f9ba889ef8bb761310.jpg

Ok, unless someone finds something else I think I'm done. I've added the bit about the spring as well as included it on the parts number page.

And, speaking of part numbers, I added the entries for the Broncos. What do you see here?

One point of clarification, maybe it's there and I missed it, but the shaft Jim used: is it from an F250/350? Pretty sure the F150's of that vintage would be different.

One point of clarification, maybe it's there and I missed it, but the shaft Jim used: is it from an F250/350? Pretty sure the F150's of that vintage would be different.

Rock Auto says this one fits a 2009 F150. That's the year & model he said he bought for, and those are the part numbers I'm giving on that page.

It looks to me like the one that Jim used, but I'll let him respond to that.

SKP_SK425366_For_2009_F150.thumb.jpg.befcac2091b66717da20a543b0bcc552.jpg

Rock Auto says this one fits a 2009 F150. That's the year & model he said he bought for, and those are the part numbers I'm giving on that page.

It looks to me like the one that Jim used, but I'll let him respond to that.

If anybody wants a guinea pig to try something from a vendor/eBay source/etc for fit, I'm about to rebuild my '81's steering. Main goal is a steering box rebuild but I figured I'd replace the shaft while I had it apart. I don't mind buying something that doesn't work out / can't be confirmed if it helps the cause to confirm that.